Huge water bill - south staffs water

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

And here is todays disaster.

I went onto a water meter (my choice) because I wasnt happy paying against rateable value because I dont have a garden to water, a car to wash, have no hot water so dont have baths, dont have a dishwasher etc - I have a VERY basic setup. Water is used for showers, washing up and drinking.

I had been getting about £14 worth of water usage a month for the first couple of months of having the water meter. I then stopped monitoring it because it was such a miniscule amount.

But now I have absolutely no idea how, I owe £1000 (despite paying £30 a month, for something that was costing £14-£16 a month) - The meter reading they've done IS correct. But its not possible that I've suddenly used 10 years worth of water in two quarters surely? I've been on holiday twice aswell!!

I do not leave taps on. I live in the upstairs part of a maisonette so if there was a leak my neighbour would surely advise me when he'd finished swimming around his living room.

I did a test yesterday, wrote down the meter reading before I went to work, then checked it immediately when I got back - no change, so it doesnt appear that there is a leak. I also checked the meter serial was actually mine - it is.

I did have the water come through cloudy and weird a few months ago almost like they'd been doing some work on the pipes? My only idea is that they could potentially have had a mad water loss while playing with pipes?

Is there anything I can do? Because as it stands it seems to be a black and white "But if your meter reads this then you owe this much". They dont take into account the fact I'd need to be emptying and filling up swimming pools to achieve this bill?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Luke