• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HAD ENOUGH OF BARLAYS (old woolwich account)

jjandbump
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent my letter to the Wollwich with a £10 postal order made out to Woolwich PLC on 31st January 2007.

Today i have recieved this letter from the privacy and data protection department at Barclys. With the postal order attached

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DATA PROTECTION ACT

We refer to your letter dated the 31st January, which was passed to this department for comment due to your request for certian information under the terms of Data Protection Act ("The DPA").

As requested a schedule of charges is in course of preperation and this will be sent to you shortley by the woolwich; there will be no charge for this service. As the bank is providing this information on a complimentary basis, your payment is returned herewith.

As regards your mention of manual intervention, the DPA does not oblige the Bank to comment about internal policys and procedures. Furthermore in context of managing day to day transactions arising from out of order accounts, the bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for stastical purposes, this owuld not constitute "personal data" under the DPA and therefore would not be covered in by a s.7 DPA subject access request. For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that we do not generally record information in a way that is caught by the provisions of the DPA, is in no way an admission that no such manual intervention.

Yours sincerely.

Peter Townsend

Please can anyone tell me what to do shall i send the payment back, do i need this information that they are asking for, what do i do next.

I know that they have 40 days from the 31st of January (and that i have read to allow 2 days for postage). So do i send the next letter of on the 14th March regardless or what. Sorry very confused.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - don't worry. Looks like they're providing the information free of charge. I think they're also saying in a round about way that there hasn't been any manual intervention on the account. Your 40 day timescale will still apply, so just sit back and wait for your statements. Take your times reading threads on this very addictive site (I cannot get my ironing done for reading on here ;)) and familiarise yourself with other cases so you've an idea as to what to expect!!!

Best wishes.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

i just need some clarificatio, please!!!

I sent off for all my charges they have arrived, so i have gone though and listed them all, i have added them up, and used this as the figure i am claiming, Then seperatly i have added up all the debit interest and added this on. Is this right i dont add any 8% on until or if i need to to do the MCOL thingy.

IS this right would appreciate your comments.

Hi there, i did but i jst printed the bit that gave the figures for the charges and cut the "how many days" and interest owed off.

Just wanted to check that this was right.

Also if this did go to court do you know if you have to pay other court fees other than MCOL or if the banks can charge back to you thir legal fees, as that is something i couldnt afford to do,

Guest ian cognito

Depending on how far the banks push you're claim, and how much your claim is, you may have to pay further £100, in the small claims court no costs are awarded so even if you lost, which you won't, you would not have to pay the banks costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done the 1st bit and got all my statements and done the sums, but today got a letter offeriung under 50% of the total, but it states if i do not accept within 8 weeks they will close the file. Do i just carry on with the dates that i set, my hurry up letter was due to go one th 5th march giving them another 14 days prior to court action.

I dont have a computer at home at the moment, so am posting this now, and then going to look at the templates and see what it says.

but any advice would be greafully recieved.

ta v much

TJ

28th February 2007

Woolwich Plc

Head Office Customer Relations

Floor 10

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

Response to settlement offer to account Number xxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter which I received today.

I respectfully decline your offer as Full and Final settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £xxxx.xx

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

My Request for Repayment letter dated 17/02/2007 indicates that you have until 05/03/2007 to respond before I proceed to the next stage of my request My deadline remains the same despite this offer.

If you do not accept my conditions for acceptance, or you do not respond within 7 days, I shall return the cheque to you. For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer under the terms stated in your letter.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

name

I have sent a refusal letter off today.

If they take let you take it all the way to the court what happens, has anyone lost???? I know that it doesnt appear that way but i couldnt afford to pay all the costs on my side and they big cat lawyers??

I have to be honest the offer is tempting but the rest that i will loose out on would really help me out as have a baby due soon.

How long does this normally all take to complete, (ie til they agree to pay up). How long are hearing dates away from when you file the MCOL etc.

Sorry this is all new to me.

Don`t worry it won`t get to court. The time you have to wait for a court date depends on which court you`re allocated. Have a look at some of the earlier threads which will give you an idea and also reassure you that you`re going to win. Good Luck!

Thanks, i have sent a refusal letter Friday and have jkust printed my Letter before action letters to send off tommrrow, lets hope it all moves quickly the money would be very very handy.

Did you see the news of the world today had a big peice on it,

Why dont they all just pay up to people that are willing to claim, surely it must cost them more in the long run for paying the interest and court fees.

I suspect a certain percentage of people won't follow through to court, a further percentage will accept partial offers and another percentage will make some or other procedural error with their claim. The bank will know this and as the legal department will more than likely be under instructions to minimise costs I suspect they'll have calculated they'll save more by stringing things out than settling claims in full early on.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

i have sent all the letters off with figures up until the 21st Feb 2007. This totalled over £1600.00. But i am overdrawn as a result of a lot of charges, i said i would pay them £10.00 per week towards this overdrawn balance to clear it. But since feb they have added £94.00 and £84.00 in charges based on £3.00 per day. They are aware of this installments being paid and even sent me a statement that means they are getting them.

Can i write to them saying that although my time scales have not changed the fees they have placed on to the account as a direct result of charges taking me over drawn have been added to the balance.

(sending them a new spread sheet also???)

Or can this not be done, they have made offers but only just enought to clear the overdraft of £500.00, i dont see why i should take it.

I have another week on monday coming until i can file on MCOL, but if i can send this revised figure i want to do it before i file this amount.

Please reply ASAP. As need to get it in post

Guest Mumofthreeboys

You can add further charges to your claim right up until the time of filing your claim.

And if they add any charges after your claim is filed, then just add them into your spreadsheet and claim them when Barclays offer a settlement, which they will do prior to the hearing date

Preliminary Letter sent to Woolwich 05/06

LBA sent 19/06

Court claim filed 04/07 : Total £824.75

Acknowledgement of Service 27/07

Defence received 08/08

AQ filed 11/08

Barclays AQ filed 05/09

Hearing date 20/12

SETTLED IN FULL £840.49: 14/12/06

• 2 months later...

BVaerclys offered me a settlement of £1000.00 in regards to charges that were well over £2000, so i declined it, i have had a new baby and am about 5 weeks late of the time i gave them before i would issue procedings, can i just issue them or do i need to send another letter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you've waited long enough jjand bump continue now to court :)

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!