• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg/Barclaycard PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for hijacking this discussion, but I have the same issue with the same lender.

I had to send my fos questionnaire to Barclaycard as egg closed down and Barclaycard took my egg account over. I finally got around to calling hem today as I haven't heard anything since December. They told me they had sent a letter on 31st December, but I did not receive it. They confirmed they would send it again. They also communicated the jist of the letter. They explained that they had closed the claim due to me ticking a box when I applied for the credit card online.

I have owned two or three egg cards and I'm sure my first card was applied for back in early 2000. However I am guessing that Barclaycard will only investigate the last egg card I owned (the one transfered to Barclaycard).

This means I won't be able to claim for my previous cards as egg is no more.

My explanation to Barclaycard was that I would never agree to PPI as paying back borrowed money (interest) is expensive enough. I also had a scheme running at work. I didn't actually realise I was paying PPI as it never appeared on my egg statements. I only discovered I was paying PPI when I checked the transfered Barclaycard statement. It all makes you wonder why they closed egg down.

I just need to know whether to give up on this one or do I persist, if the later what is my next step?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG

I have started a new thread for you.

Egg were one of the big sinners for pre-ticked online applications.

You should be able to get all of the accounts investigated.

Have you done a Subject Access Request (SAR) to get as much information as you can on all the cards. If not I would do one...there is a template in the CAG library, the link to which is at the top of every CAG page in green.

Don't give up at the first hurdle.

ims

Thanks ims

That was quick.

Sorry I'm new to this forum structure. I was despert to get some help after my disappointing phone call this morning.

I tried your "new thread" link but it didn't make sense.

Who would I address the SAR to, as egg are no more?

Thanks again ims

I can see the light, again

Hi

You can address your SAR to the Data Compliance Manager at Barclays. I would do it to their registered office.

I'd also send it recorded so you know when they receive it.

ims

Thought I'd update my progress. Finally received a confirmation letter from Barclaycard this morning (two in fact - duplicates).

Their final comment on the letter is: "You may consider this letter to be our Final Reponse. Pleas be aware that we will not enter into further correspondence on this matter, however we will cooperate fully with the Financial Ombudsman Service if you choose to peruse your complaint with them".

Does this mean they will will refuse to send me information regarding my SAR application?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Finally received report history of my accounts with egg from Barclaycard. Information received gives details of current Barclaycard account, which I haven't had long so there's no point chasing PPI.

However the account I reported as miss selling PPI back in December 2011, which was refused due to me ticking the insurance cover tick box (according to Barclaycard) goes back to 17/06/2002, therefore could I claim that the tick box was all ready ticked, which was a form of miss selling?

There is also a third account. This must be the egg card I had before Barclaycard took over as it runs from 18/07/2011 to 28/10/2011.

The main account I need to chase is the one I have all ready claimed for. As Barclaycard have now advised me that "I can consider this letter to be their final response. Please be aware that we will not enter into further correspondence on this matter, however we will cooperate fully with the financial Ombusman service if you choose to peruse your complaint with them". How do I go about explaining to the Omusman that the account was opened in 2002 when the lenders followed a procedure of pre ticking the insurance cover tick box?

A bit confused and feeling like a loser.

Cheers

Mark

Egg did indeed operate a pre-ticked box for a period of time which effectively meant the applicants had to "opt out". This is considered bad. Also in some instances we have heard that an application could not continue unless the PPI box was ticked.

If you are passing this over to fos you should be truthful in your replies as to what happened but you can mention that you are aware that Egg employed these practices and that you are aware that they were fined for their mis-selling of PPI.

Did you get copy statements going back to 2002 with opening and closing balances or just a transaction history going back to 2002?

ims

my egg barclaycard prob is slightly different, i had a ppi claim declined by egg, i am persuing this at the ombudsman on the basis it was misold due to the fact as a company director i am effectively self employed an dtherefore the policy was 'missold' . The adjudicator has investigated and the allthough he is unable to yet give me a verdict he says that curremtly my case is in the legal department because its a case of who is responsible Egg or Barclaycard for what i presume will be a payout, anyone else had thsi prob?

I have to be honest, 2002 is a long time ago and I really can't remember the process I went through during the application. I kind of remember not being able to complete the application until I ticked a box but can't be sure.

The paperwork I have been sent is headed "Memo List & Detail". It's not really a statement and there are only two entries for 2002, one on 17/06 and the other for 16/12. Most of it is bank jargen. There are twelve pages that run up to 16/09/10.

At the present moment I feel like just giving up the fight, mainly because I have no proof.

Thanks for all the help

Mark

So you didn't get statements or a transaction history as a result of the SAR?

In which case you can send the failed SAR letter from the CAG library.

Have a look at the PPI stickies...you'll find a thread in there with notes for claimants. Have a read as there may be more criteria you can use for the mis-sale.

As you have had a final response from Barclays, if you do not fancy challenging them directly then you can pass the whole matter over to fos and give them copies of all that you have sent thus far to the lender. Also let them know of the criteria which you believe apply to the mis-sale.

Now Barclays have been known before to state that you cant claim on xyz account which is an attempt to fob people off. The fos may well see things dofferently and there is evidence on these forums where people have complained to fos on this point and fos have said that the bank are effectively talking nonsense.

If you pass it to fos you will need to be prepared for a long wait

ims

Hey ims21

Thanks for your response.

I did receive a dot matrix reem of transactions, however this was for my current credit card with Barclaycard, not the account I complained about.

What does passing all this information to fos entail. Time isn't really an issue, however will there be any fees to pay? Will I have to appear in court etc?

Thanks again

Mark

my case of '' no its not me its egg,..... says barclaycard..............no its barclaycard not egg'' has been with the FOS for 9 months, its been actively loooked at by adjudicator since jan , the whole thing is being held up by the eggcard barclaycard playground shenigans

Hey ims21

Thanks for your response.

I did receive a dot matrix reem of transactions, however this was for my current credit card with Barclaycard, not the account I complained about.

What does passing all this information to fos entail. Time isn't really an issue, however will there be any fees to pay? Will I have to appear in court etc?

Thanks again

Mark

Hi

Passing to fos doesn't cost you anything. There is a case fee of £500 (May have risen to £850) but that is charged to the lender so doesn't affect you at all.

All you do with fos is complete their complaint form (available from their website) and then submit copies of everything you have sent and received from the lender. You are welcome to give additional details and information in a covering letter/report.

Going to fos does not involve court.

If fos do don't uphold your complaint then you can still use the court route of you wish

ims

For the other posters, Barclaycard took over Egg. As such there is no Egg to be responsible...it is Barclaycard that are now the target. Think of it that BC took over Egg completely, lock, stock and barrel. Excuses that Egg are responsible is a fob off.

ims

The adjudicator on my case gave me the impression that its an internal accounts thing ie if barclaycard cough up they get the money from egg etc. and that they ahve to get agreement as to who is repsonsible . I get more and more confused as the days go by.