• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MBNA PPI - partial payout.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If the account was sold then there is no right of set off. All you need is a simple letter to fos reminding them of this.

Be aware though, that some companies buy the debts back simply to allow a set off to happen. I'm not sure that I have seen MBNA do it though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations AB1979 - that is good news, looks like well done on gaining a recalculation, and hope this is sooner rather than later, or doesn't involve more loops. Along with the no rights of set off reminder to FOS, you will need to ask through FOS for MBNA to supply their calculations, as you have said, and any justification they have for using any non-standard calculation method. You could find that this might become something of a two-part fight, but you have an open case at FOS - and there seems to be more sight/awareness of the possibilities of MBNA's shenanigans there as of late. I would keep it simple in terms of asking for a fair, understandable and unquestionably PS10/12 complaint calculation - as you understand there are strong questions regarding recent MBNA calculation methods in terms of treating customers fairly. Three words we may hear a lot more of soon, as I understand likely to be general guideline buzzwords.

Well done again - battle won, hope the whole war goes your way too.

• 1 month later...

Quick Update: MBNA have agreed to make an offer as per FOS guidelines. The letter came a month ago but I've only seen it now, hopefully I can get paid within six weeks :-)

Thanks a bunch guys!

That's good news - but just remember MBNA's idea of "within FOS guidelines" may differ from that of everybody else. I would await the figures and see how they compare to your own - if the offer isn't within the guidelines you should go back to FOS and ask them to investigate further

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys, long time no speak.

We now have a refund letter! For some reason the amount offered is a few thousand below the amount in my spreadsheet. Surely I haven't made that much of a mistake?

Or is this another example of MBNA's "creative" interpreting of PPI figures? How would I go about getting a proper breakdown of the figures? And how do I dispute them if they are wrong?

And should I bank the cheque when it arrives?

I would ask MBNA for a copy of their calculations explaining that you cant accept the offer without checking it. MBNA are one of the few lenders that will send full calculations (ironic since they are often amongst the least accurate). Once you have these and post an anonymised version on line somebody can have a look at these for you

I would ask MBNA for a copy of their calculations explaining that you cant accept the offer without checking it. MBNA are one of the few lenders that will send full calculations (ironic since they are often amongst the least accurate). Once you have these and post an anonymised version on line somebody can have a look at these for you

Hi Andybars, thanks for your quick reply!

Their letter says that banking the cheque will not prejudice me if I have further queries.

I've also just had a playabout with my FoS Running spreadsheet. If I change the rate of interest from 35% (which the card ran at for the majority of its life) to 20%, I get a number very close to what I was offered. Fancy that!

Either way I will craft a letter requesting a copy of their calculations. Do you have any idea when they might send it to me?

From what I have seen for myself and others it will likely take around 3-4 weeks after asking to get calculations from MBNA, after, that is, you have made it very clear these are required from them, by you. I would ask very strongly and clearly in writing, then diary forward for a couple of weeks to send a reminder. Or even at that point call Customer Advocacy with a reminder - I did, and then received a calculation reply in a couple of days...and it is one the very few reasons, ever, to talk to MBNA over the phone!

From what I have seen for myself and others it will likely take around 3-4 weeks after asking to get calculations from MBNA, after, that is, you have made it very clear these are required from them, by you. I would ask very strongly and clearly in writing, then diary forward for a couple of weeks to send a reminder. Or even at that point call Customer Advocacy with a reminder - I did, and then received a calculation reply in a couple of days...and it is one the very few reasons, ever, to talk to MBNA over the phone!

I wonder, who should I address the letter to?

You could try:

a) Anyone that sent you a related letter so you have a name to consequently contact.

b) The Customer Advocate Office - PPI, MBNA Limited, PO BOX 1004, Chester Business Park, Chester, CH4 9WW

c) Gail Powell, ‎Senior Complaints Manager at Bank of America - as of Chester address.

AMN

• 1 month later...

OK..............I have the calculations now. I have scanned them and I don't believe they have any identifying information.

What is the best way of getting someone to have a look over them?

Sorry, you were missed.. If you have removed any identifying information then simply upload the docs to this thread and I will ask someone to have a peek for you.

You will need to convert to pdf format - if you then follow the instructions below you should be able to upload without any problems.

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

Scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all personal info including barcodes etc. using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new message box here

hit go advanced below the message box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB: you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

Then hit reply button

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry, you were missed.. If you have removed any identifying information then simply upload the docs to this thread and I will ask someone to have a peek for you.

You will need to convert to pdf format - if you then follow the instructions below you should be able to upload without any problems.

Ah, I uploaded them to my dropbox because I was travelling for a while, and I think they are in gif format. Is there an easy way to convert gifs to pdf?

Oh wait the instructions are there!

Hi AB79

Your calculations are pretty much what I would expect (from MBNA that is). They use a very idiosyncratic way of calculating redress - with "F&Ms", as per appear on your copy, allowing for them shifting values around and with interest being split and manoeuvred into kinds that suit the firm, if their aim was payment minimisation. F&Ms occasionally assumed on some months (redefined by MBNA as being so) as "Full" and "Minimum" - so sort of justifying an over-reaching twist-take on of a part of FOS guidance intended for something else entirely. This over-assumption that they can do what they like is currently being investigated by FOS, as detailed in some other threads, so if you complain specifically to FOS re. this aspect (as you should) you will be in the company of a number of others .... takes a while to get anyone's head around what they have been doing ...

AMN

So it looks like I will have to fire off another letter to the FOS complaining. Should I write to MBNA as well?

And what should this letter say, is there a template available? I don't want it to look like I am being lazy here but I am away from the UK temporarily and I would like to shortcut the process.

Many thanks!

AB1979

If you already have a FOS complaint in I would just write to them no point wasting your time with MBNA.

Just send something along the lines of you are now aware MBNA's calculations are under investigation by the regulator and Ombudsman and you would like to add your claim to the many who already have complained that MBNA are not following the regulators rulebook but instead seem to be using a vague Ombudsman bit of guidance which has nothing to do with the way your account was operated.

But dont expect a quick result as we have been stuck in this for nearly 2 years now. However the more people who pick up on this then hopefully no sweeping under carpets can happen.

Good luck

Oh just to add and not sure if you had any overlimits in your account. If you did and your own calculations indicate your account was not over limit at the time then claim them also

MBNA are sticking to the line that they applied PPI last each month and therefore it cant have caused the PPI.

But the whole point of a reconstruction of your account is to show what it would have been if the PPI wasnt there. Very quickly and over time most accounts will dip below the limit if you went over it. So many of us will have an account reconstruction where sometimes the reconstructed balance is in credit to us but MBNA still want to charge us an overlimit fee.

They have actually gone to press to say these charges should stand because they are applying the PPI last so it wasnt the PPI that caused it completely ignoring in their favour the months and months of PPI and associated interest that shouldnt be in your account in the first place.

Even the FOS spokes person seemed to think charges should be coming back to us.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to the FOS 2 days ago and the guy on the other end of the line seemed to think that MBNA were following guidance. We know that that's not true; he also suggested speaking with MBNA before going the FOS route.

I intend writing a letter simultaneously, but what should I say in my letter and call? I have the breakdown as indicated so I am wondering how technical I should get in this call.

I think, stick to the idea as per Ken's above #69 post : "Just send something along the lines of you are now aware MBNA's calculations are under investigation by the regulator and Ombudsman and you would like to add your claim to the many who already have complained that MBNA are not following the regulators rulebook but instead seem to be using a vague Ombudsman bit of guidance which has nothing to do with the way your account was operated."

I would tend to keep it relatively simple. Your adjudicator seems to be (understandably for them, if not acceptable for the organisation) pretty well handling things by "the rulebook" (which is somewhat in need of an update) in terms of standard procedure as opposed to really considering what is going on. I would mention "as being investigated by FOS's Vicki McAusland and others". As part of the old Attention-Interest-Action model for asking anyone to do anything: you have the attention bit - I would suggest to them it was very much in their own interest to keep up with current affairs regarding MBNA methodology as viewed internally by FOS/FCA. In a nice way of course. It's just that FOS people can't believe easily (why/how/deliberateness) that a major bank could be "wrong", and assume much more likely any complainant is more than likely a confused or misunderstanding or "motivated" individual. Which is a bit sad really. Jumping to the realisation that FOS have themselves been scammed while half-dozing for years, by people using their name as false-look-proof-of-OK - is something of a step for FOS staff ... although if not done soon (they have had sufficient opened information for six months) - they may find more vastly more public attention channels loudly and uncharitably doing their job for them ...

So .... keep it simples and suggest your contact asks around a little ... while undoubtedly and unmistakably asking for further consideration and action on your own file.