Santander downgraded my account! For going overdrawn

CityDude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Here is the story I was wondering if you guys could help me?

I recently opened a new account with Santander around a month ago.

I made a purchase 3 weeks ago online 2 purchases, 1 for 700 euros 1 for 400 euros.

I had around 2,100GBP in my account, other payments was also made.

Went into the 02 shop bought a Iphone the was around 459 that I purchased my balance after this was around 763GBP.

That took me overdrawn a few days later, as 2 payments went out of the account 3 weeks later it took me overdrawn for around 200GBP how ever I paid this within 24 hours, yet today they said that they are downgrading my account from a normal VISA account to a cash card account.

Fully explained the issue to the bank they won't listen!

Its not my fault they took 3 weeks to process payments, i was also waiting for payments from someone else to come into my account they ended up getting backdated.

Are they even allowed to do this? I'm 17 currently.

This was the banks fault, I manage my money very good and I paid the money quite fast they won't even help me :(

Most banks do the same until you have a long period of responsible banking with them.

Hello,

I understand that.

How ever I paid it back 24 hours later, also gave them a full explanation of why it happened.

I had my LLoyds account for 2 years only went overdrawn twice in 2 years of having the account over the same thing.

I can make a lot of large payments online and then when they hang and do not come out it messes up the amount how ever they would not listen or even reconsider the decision.

Who can tell why they do this. I will take a good guess though. You are more likely to fall into the penalty charges trap with the account you have now than the other one.

Why do banks think 'they are in charge'. All this compulsory paying wages into banks is wrong and you should be able to give your choice to an employer as to if you want your wages banked or in cash, you have a right to have it in cash.

hello

banks do that - simple reasons

1) u are under age, if u get bank charges, no one can claim them from you legally

2) just wondering ur card might have been blocked for starters saying for security reasons when we suspect unusual activity our fraud system blocks th card temporarily - LOL, oh here's ur second reason, u r 17 spending that kind of money, did ur salary went ( or any other credit source) was credited in the account during that period, i guess no, you are a potential fraudtser to them (sorry to say but thts a fact) m just assuming this as a reason as there are not much details in ur query and ur account is fairly new

3) reason, u paid Overdraft in 24 hrs - how did u get the moeny to pay it off ( in reality may be ur parents gave it to u but bank dsnt considers that at all)

ur options, wait relax, be 18 and get teh account upgraded again, wait and have ur salary paid in ur account or any other reliable source of credit for couple of months, i gaurantee u sales team will contact u for an upgrade, last option there are so many other banks who want money :p

• 2 weeks later...

After 2 weeks of trying to reason with the bank.

I went into the branch asked the branch about it, they phoned up the collections department who originally put the block on the card, and told the bank to remove my debit facility.

How ever they told me I could appeal it, so I asked them to appeal it, took 48 hours, today they have ordered me a new card with a debit/visa facility on it.

Does this mean that they made a mistake? since the management of the company overturned it?

Edited by CityDude

did you presented ur id like a passport or drivers licence in brnach for identification before the brnach called th collections (collections dun put the block on account/card, its a diff dept n i m assuming that the branch person spoke to them after getting diveretd by collections)

did you presented ur id like a passport or drivers licence in brnach for identification before the brnach called th collections (collections dun put the block on account/card, its a diff dept n i m assuming that the branch person spoke to them after getting diveretd by collections)

How the hell would that have anything to do with the issue I was facing?

They confirm your details when ringing up they downgraded my account because I went overdrawn not a security issue.