• Tweets

• I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs born by you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment. Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid”  A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

please help civil recover what should i do ? ashamed and stupid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well..4 of them appear to be 'shoplifting' cases, others are rather varied including one serious one involving £10,000 for a fake empolyee.

As to the 4 cases, the reference numbers they use like 001 are not standard court case numbers so its impossible to check, County Court cases are not published anywhere (as far as Im aware) unlike other courts/tribunals, etc

Many of those liosted are judgements in default, its not clear but it may be the case that som,e others are too., this doesnt prove anything, for example, I could issue a claim against Mr X, saying he owes me £100 for moondust..complete rubbish but should he fail to answer court correspondence I'd still win. It also begs the question if RLP are so confident why dont they start legal action in EVERY case, or do they pick and choose people they think are vunerable and less likely to turn up ?

Also there may well of been plenty of cases were RLP were unsuccessful, we simple do not know, and RLP are hardly transparent...RLP admit themselves that they only publish a 'selection'.

The case involving CAB is somewhat worrying and I'd be surprised if they genuinelly told someone to ignore court correspondence, RLP love to waffle on about Pre Action protocols but they spout crap..there is no real obligation to respond to anything in the pre-litigation period (a simple denial is all that is needed and apparently that is what was sent), I dont believe there is any need to get involved in heavy paperwork/correspondence at that stage.

In '003' cases I note a dig at a 'consumer' site :)

Andy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's a bit concerning. What I make of the CAB one is that the reason it's come back to them was because the company were trying to negotiate settlement before court proceedings and this was what was being ignored. So then obviously when court proceedings were issued they wouldn't go back to the original settlement offer. So I don't think they ignored the court letters.

Basically the thing that worries me is, yes, there is no harm in ignoring the letters from the comapny, but what if I actually get hit with a court letter and it's too late to settle.

Based on reading in these forums it prob won't be as much as a 'fine' monetary wise, but I don't want to go to court etc, because I prob won't win as I did f**k up (excuse my french!) so will just be time consuming :(

I'm confused now.

well dont be.

if there was more to 'pay' or anything 'to pay'

it would be the judicial system and the police from the off that does it

not some tinpot speculative invoice company.

its exactly the same as the private parking ticket

those that go to court

are either stoogies or relatives

or

are uncontested cases

forget them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

but the police weren't involved and i'd like to keep it that way.

Surely the police and criminal court only cover the police costs and direct criminal damage?

therefore why would they have anything to do with the costs this store are seeking? Im a novice at this and get all my info online so maybe im wrong.

RLP are in no way ANYTHING to do with any judicial system nor ANY legal statute at all

you are under NO legal obl to communicate with them

in any way shape or form.

NO rlp has ever latterly involved the police or the judicary system.

if they do anything at all it will be a civil action nothing criminal.

you need to rad the cab reports on the homepage of this forum.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yeah, it's a bit concerning. What I make of the CAB one is that the reason it's come back to them was because the company were trying to negotiate settlement before court proceedings and this was what was being ignored. So then obviously when court proceedings were issued they wouldn't go back to the original settlement offer. So I don't think they ignored the court letters.

Basically the thing that worries me is, yes, there is no harm in ignoring the letters from the comapny, but what if I actually get hit with a court letter and it's too late to settle.

Based on reading in these forums it prob won't be as much as a 'fine' monetary wise, but I don't want to go to court etc, because I prob won't win as I did f**k up (excuse my french!) so will just be time consuming :(

I'm confused now.

This is quite simple..you can ignore correspondence from RLP but it would be foolish to ignore anything from the court for the simple fact that if you dont reply..then they WILL WIN by default.

The obligation to settle hasnt passed and in fact the court would still expect you to try..you can apply for mediation, make offers (perhaps without prejudice), or even Part 36 Offers (RLP's fave QC even mentions this, but perhaps in the wrong context as Part36 doesnt apply to small claims, which the majority are, even if some has strangely ended up on the fast track).

RLP's whole site whislt maybe not printing anything legally incorrect is still rather misleading especially in the way they pick and choose what to print.

As pointed out this has nothing to do with the Police, although RLP like to make lots of mention of them and try to give RLP some sort of peusdo-legal footing.

The various arguments/downloads they link to appear to be a slanging match back and forth between CAB/RLP and QC....I'd suggest none of them are 100% accurate.

Andy

I get what you guys are saying about not being linked to criminal court, but I don't want to go to ANY court, when reading these forums, i get the impression that what they are claiming for etc is rubbish and has no legal grounds, however with some now going to court, surely this means it's not all rubbish and that i may be better off paying now and saving myself the stress?

none are going to court

where did you get that from?

the cases have been over a good few years

in that time

1000's have totally ignored them.

stop panicing and get on with your life

dx

and they

I get what you guys are saying about not being linked to criminal court, but I don't want to go to ANY court, when reading these forums, i get the impression that what they are claiming for etc is rubbish and has no legal grounds, however with some now going to court, surely this means it's not all rubbish and that i may be better off paying now and saving myself the stress?

Firstly..RLP list about 3 or 4 cases that have supposedly gone to court, they dont say whether they are default judgements and there is no way that you can verify these cases.

RLP dont admit how many cases they have lost..there may be lots !. It is well known that they have sent out many thousands if not tens of thousands of 'demands' with no intention of going anywhere near a court room.

Also I'd add a civil court (very likely a small claim) is nothing to be scared of, ive started and been defendant in various cases and have come away succesful, dont let people bully you, thats no way to conduct your life !

Why would you be better off if you pay now ?. RLP will be better off with YOUR money, it wont go to court..even in the very unlikely evenmt it did, you can still defend your position..the outcome is far from certain....The cases they put on their site are only there to intimidate others..dont let them.

Andy

I was saying better off as I was in the wrong and then i wouldnt have to worry wether or not they would take me to court. I know you said they won't, but that sounds more like you don't expect them too, rather than they have no case. So i'm buggered if im the unlucky one that goes to court!

I was saying better off as I was in the wrong and then i wouldnt have to worry wether or not they would take me to court. I know you said they won't, but that sounds more like you don't expect them too, rather than they have no case. So i'm buggered if im the unlucky one that goes to court!

Not really, people get worried with the mention of court and somehow link it to criminality, county courts are for civil claims, the small claims ttrack for claims under £5000, soon to be £10,000 is an informal meeting, normally in a judges room and nothing to be afraid of.

But its all upto you, youve been given lots of advice here, download both the CAB reports, both the RLP replies and the QC's comments and have a read through all the points of view and decide for yourself.

Andy

Thats fair enough. I was just getting conflicted by the info as some on here suggest there is no legal ground for these claims and but others say there is. If there is a legal ground for it (which is the direction i'm leaning) then i'll take it more seriously and ensure if I contact anyone it's done properly.

End of the day, it may not be a stressful court scenario, but it's still a position I put myself in and don't want to have to go through the scenario again, just put it behind me.

RLP are in no way ANYTHING to do with any judicial system nor ANY legal statute at all

you are under NO legal obl to communicate with them

in any way shape or form.

NO rlp has ever latterly involved the police or the judicary system.

if they do anything at all it will be a civil action nothing criminal.

you need to rad the cab reports on the homepage of this forum.

dx

They banned b me from B n Q what will happen If I go in to a different branch I don't realy want to go in but my dad wants me to get something for him (and pay for it)

none have face recog software so dont worry at all

all they can do is ask you to leave anyhow

again, THERE IS NO LAW INVOLVED

dx

and they

no its just spin to fleece you.

dx

and they

hello just been to rlp website and read thru the cases, the case no 001 and 002 mentions shop lifting and also mentions about repeat offenders, the amount rlp claims to be covered from teh claimant in case 0002 seems to be very high, any one has any comment on that case at all

Well..we have no facts in any of the cases, they are impossible to verify, the ref numbers used are not actual court numbers so who knows !..They might all be 100% fabricated,

• 4 weeks later...
hello just been to rlp website and read thru the cases, the case no 001 and 002 mentions shop lifting and also mentions about repeat offenders, the amount rlp claims to be covered from teh claimant in case 0002 seems to be very high, any one has any comment on that case at all

I just had a look. Surprisingly emotive and unprofessional style of descriptions, lots of attacks upon others, and with the key questions of liability glossed over. Interestingly they are unable to cite even one case of a defended RLP claim being upheld in court.

The blustering tone reminds me of those supposed internet piracy solicitors who were always yelling the odds about how strong their case was, right up until it collapsed under them.

• 3 months later...

I am employed as a plain clothed store detective for a well known household named retail company. I catch shoplifters on a daily basis and in 99% of the cases civil recovery is issued.

I aint employed by b and q so quite frankly couldnt care about their losses but my advice is is pay. Most of you on here obviously dont know about civil recovery. It is a legal company that acts on behalf of retailers. In all my cases a civil recovery letter is given and copy signed by the detainee.

Proof of a reciept is enclosed with all my paperwork along with cctv footage so if the detainee does decide to question what happened its all backed up.

You could leave it and not pay but civil recovery do go through the courts and any costs that have occured for civil recovery to do that will be paid for by the detainee.

rubbish.

its not for any RLP to be judge and jury

if something is owed, then its fo the courts to decide that

not some tin pot RLP to issue 'speculative invoices.'

NEVER EVER pay RLP!!

dx

and they

You could leave it and not pay but civil recovery do go through the courts and any costs that have occured for civil recovery to do that will be paid for by the detainee.

Hello there. Have you seen the result of the recent Oxford court case?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I am employed as a plain clothed store detective for a well known household named retail company. I catch shoplifters on a daily basis and in 99% of the cases civil recovery is issued.

I aint employed by b and q so quite frankly couldnt care about their losses but my advice is is pay. Most of you on here obviously dont know about civil recovery. It is a legal company that acts on behalf of retailers. In all my cases a civil recovery letter is given and copy signed by the detainee.

Proof of a reciept is enclosed with all my paperwork along with cctv footage so if the detainee does decide to question what happened its all backed up.

I have some simple questions for you:

1. When you say you catch shoplifters, can you confirm that the police are called in every case, and that these people are all charged and convicted in a criminal court? Or do you mean that you detain people you suspect of shoplifting?

2. Can you produce substantive evidence to back up your claims that 'civil recovery' do go to court - such as case numbers? If you don't have the case numbers, just tell us in how many cases you have appeared as a witness for the claimant, and in how many of those cases the claimant was successful.

3. Since you stopped being a parking attendant, what specialist training have you undertaken with regard to the legal issues surrounding civil recovery, in general and specifically in the issues around vulnerable people, and liability?

Firstly define shoplifters, people who clearly are out to steal or an OAP who mistakenly doesnt pay for an item ?

CAG is well aware of civil recovery (in fact we appear to know rather more than you), there have been many thousands of these invoices issued but only a handful of court cases (some are published on RLP's site, but there is no way of checking their authenticity and some are very dubious), there is only one case that I/We/CAB are aware of and that is the aforementioned Oxford case, if you are unaware of it, I suggest finding out more before posting here, in that case, the claim for damages by RLP/ The store was firmly thrown out.

Even if succesful in court, it would be a small claim and therefore costs would be very limited, simply put it costs RLP/The Store far more to pursue court action then they could ever recover.

Andy