• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HSBC v Pipster - Court Tomorrow!! *****Discontinued*****

Pipster2797
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What year are they claiming you opened the account?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to note points: 95 - 105, 112, 116 and the conclusions

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Pipster, did they say on the SJ application form that they would be relying on a Witness statement or.. did they say they would be relying on what you posted earlier ? If they said they would be relying on a WS, I think it should have been attached to the SJ Application !

BCOBS

Wishing you all the best tomorrow :)

BCOBS

Have you downloaded the proof of receipt for the SAR, from the RM website ?

Did you send the fee by check or postal order ? If you sent by postal order, and have time before you leave.. telephone 01246 542091 and ask them if the PO was cashed and on what date :)

HTH

BCOBS

Well done Pipster, I am really pleased for you..

and a:clap2: for DB :)

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Pipster, if they dont file.. they will probably be given some more time :(

BCOBS

I dont think this type of behaviour is restricted to DG solicitors, Pipster.. However, I do believe that they use this trick more, when it is a LiP who is defending..

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

AGUEMENT = Argument.. I am just going to have a read back over your thread..

What date in 2009 is the DN you have managed to obtain a copy of ?

BCOBS

HSBC are always trotting out Carey as if it were their own personal saviour.

1: The Claimant in Carey were the detors themselves.

2: CAREY

Carey did nothing to deal with enforcement in my opinion, it primarily sought to clarify compliance with s78(1) which it did very very well.

If you read carey properly you can see that HHJ Waksman did not address the issue of "proof of proper execution" and he actually went out of his way to tell us that this judgment deals with s78 not the issue of actual enforcement therefore, s78 is for information purposes only as clarified by Carey not for enforcement purposes, so a creditor CANNOT under carey enforce a reconstruction which simply complies with s78(1)

3: HSBC are taking a huge leap of faith by saying that if they can rely on a reconstruction/reconstituted document for an agreement, then the same should be allowed for a Default Notice.. especially with Brandon, Harrison and Kotetcha cases (all dealt with in Higher courts) saying otherwise.

BCOBS

I think you have covered everything, the assertion that no agreement was ever signed therefore, they cannot EVER comply on that score.

The DNs issued by them at that time didnt comply with statute and 3 high court judgments have since repeated the importance of a properly issued Default notice before further action can be taken.

I wonder if DonkeyB or andyorch are around to maybe comment.

BTW, have sent a pm

BCOBS

Lets see if we cant hunt down andyorch..

BCOBS

Thanks Andy, much appreciated :)

BCOBS

Looks like you have things under control now.. :)

You are very welcome and if a Witness statement is required to go along with that document.. I am more than happy to provide one :)

• Confused 1

BCOBS

OMG, yes.. tis £18.00 per hour now.. for goodness sake, change that one :lol:

Pipster this is brilliant news and I am so pleased for you:cheer2:

BCOBS

Case No: XXXXXX

IN THE XXXX (CCBC) county courtlink3.gif

B E T W E E N:

HSBClink3.gif Bank (Claimant)

-and-

(Defendant)

DEFENDANT’S BILL OF COSTS

After discontinuing by the claimant.

Costs Payable by the Claimant

CPR 38.6 and CPR 44.12(1)(d)

The Claimant commenced proceedings in relation to an alleged agreement regulated under The Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The proceedings were defended.

On 9th January 2012 the claimant wrote to the defendant to advise that they were discontinuing the application for strike out of the defendants defence and the claim that was to be heard in the XXXX County Court on the 12th January 2012 at 11:30am. Judge XXX advised on15th December 2011 that the hearing on 12th January 2012 would involve costs.

At all times the Defendant was a Litigant in Person within the meaning of Litigants in Person (Costs and Expenses) Act 1975 and time spent by the Defendant is charged herein at hourly rates of £18.00.

After receiving the Claim form The Defendant was required to spend time in researching case law, contacting the Claimant and the Court both by post and telephone.

The Defendant was obliged to spend time in considering and understanding numerous strands of law including the law of consumer credit, the law of limitation and practice and procedure in the County Court which he achieved through internet and library research.

The Defendant was obliged to spend time in drawing his defence, witness statement and skeleton argument out in a way which complied with the relevant rules and practice directions of the CPR. The Defendant was further obliged to consider his consequential rights and obligations to include his rights and obligations upon the matter of costs and the relevant rules and practice directions of the CPR in reference to the detailed assessments of costs as applied to Litigants in Person.

The following is a statement of the work done in the course of the proceedings. Where there is a charge for time spent, the amount of time recorded as spent represents the Defendant’s fair estimate of the amount of time spent by him.

Receiving and considering the Claim Form and Particulars of Claim (3 hours) = £54.00

Acknowledgement of Service (1 hour) = £18.00

Research regarding consumer credit law (5 hours) = £90.00

Preparing Defence (3 hours) = £18.00 - I think you mean £54.00

Research regarding detailed assessment proceedings and Litigants in Person (Costs and Expenses) Act 1975 (5 hours) = £90.00

Preparing Witness Statement (5 hours) = £90.00

Preparing Skeleton Argument (5 hours) = £90.00

Preparing bill of costs (2 hours) = £36.00

Time off work to attend hearing for Summary Judgement of 8th December 2011 = £80.00

Time spent in telephone costs and letters written and received (4 hours) = £72.00

Summary

Costs payable by the Claimant £638.00

Dated: 11/01/2012

Signed

I dont see any travel costs there either ?

Mealing-McLeod v The Common Professional Examination Board 2000 All ER D 436.doc

Bill of costs for forum.pdf

Wulfsohn, R (on the application of) v Legal Service Commission [2002] EWCA Civ 250 (8 February 2.pdf

BCOBS

Pipster, I hadnt increased the original total after pointing out you had done yourself out of £36.00..

So the total on the original sheet would have been £674.00 + the amounts above = £680.40, I think !!

BCOBS

12. The witness states that a blank agreement form was provided 11 June 2009, but later claims that this complied with the judgment in Carey v HSBC. It should be noted that the Carey case only occurred in December 2009.

This one is priceless :lol:

BCOBS

Have amended post #196.00 for you :)

Then it is ok to send..

BCOBS

You would also be charging them for the cost of the application for putting it to the courts !!

BCOBS

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?138357-HSBC-CCA-received-what-next/page7

Hi Pipster, if you are not still busy celebrating, could you please spare a few moments and look in on sam on the above link..

HSBC issued the claim in 2008 and have made an application (hearing on 26th of this month) to lift the stay. I think Sam could do with a bit of moral support.. :)

BCOBS