Job reudundant but new job role offered

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

My present position with the company has been made redundant but I have been offered a new role on a much reduced sallary. I am able to try out this role for a month to see if I can cope with it as it involves a lot of heavy lifting. If this role is not suitable I can leave and still get my redundancy and notice paymenst.

I am still putting out applications for positons similar to my previous one and I have 2 interviews to attend this week. My question is, could anyone tell me what notice I would need to give whilst on the months trial peroid? I of course should have asked during the one to one meetings but it didn't occur to me to ask at the time as I had few responces to previous job applications .

When you say ‘present position’ does this mean that the date of termination has not been reached yet?

When does your new role begin?

In a valid offer of alternative work:

Employees who accept an offer of alternative work are allowed a four-week trial period to see if the work is suitable.

The suitability of the work depends on a number of factors, including pay, job status, location, working environment and hours of work.

Have you discussed or agreed with your employer that accepting the four week trial period in the new job would not affect your right to Statutory Redundancy Pay should it turn out to be unsuitable?

You could argue that it was an implied term of your new contract and was instrumental in your readiness to accept it.

Hi thanks and sorry for the late reply.

My original role ended on the 28th October and I took on the trial job last monday and I did recieve an assurance to the effect that rudundancy and noice payments would be honoured. I have been in the new role for the last week and I now know that this position is totaly unsuitable mainly due to the physical handling aspect. I now wish to leave this post immediately, is this possible without jepordising my payments?

You would be required to give your normal contractual or statutory notice period, whichever is the greater. It is therefore in your interests to hand in your notice as soon as possible - if you were to leave it until the four week period has ended then you would most probably lose any right to a redundancy payment.

So - you have now worked for one week of the four week trial, so if you are required to give a week's notice then you could leave within the four week period, ie a week tomorrow, but if you have to give a month's notice (or any period longer than this) then you will be required to 'work' beyond the end of the trial period unless the employer agrees that you will be able to leave sooner, but he would still then have to pay you for any remaining notice entitlement as part of your severance (along with outstanding holiday pay up to the end of that notice period.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!