husband taken car reg'ed in OH's name - can he legally reinsure it without her?

scousemouser
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Who's name was the previous insurance in? It is not unusual for the V5C to be 1 name and the insurance in another when the names involved are a couple. Even if the last insurance was in her name, then he can most likely still insure it for the same reason. Most insurance companies find it acceptable that a partner is on the V5 when asking about RK details.

Thinking beyond Crem's reply -

Is there not going to be a problem for the Sister-in Law, as RK, under the new insurance rules if the 'ex' or anyone fails to insure the car while is not under SORN?

There are also possibile problems for the 'ex' if caught driving it while uninsured - but, who knows, that might be relished!!!

The insured's address would be different to the RK's address, and would be a no-no for insurance. Most insurance specifies that the vehicle is kept at the RK's address. For a couple that would be ok, but they aren't a couple now, so he would also be lying on his insurance application.

If your sister in law wanted to be devious, if she has the V5C, she could SORN it online now and hope he gets pulled or report it TWOC'd.

The insured's address would be different to the RK's address, and would be a no-no for insurance. Most insurance specifies that the vehicle is kept at the RK's address. For a couple that would be ok, but they aren't a couple now, so he would also be lying on his insurance application.

Not so. Not all insurance companies require the main insured and the RK to be the same (otherwise, how could you insure a lease car?)

If your sister in law wanted to be devious, if she has the V5C, she could SORN it online now and hope he gets pulled or report it TWOC'd.

And she would be liable, as RK, to the DVLA for having a SORN vehicle on a public road.

Not so. Not all insurance companies require the main insured and the RK to be the same (otherwise, how could you insure a lease car?)

That's why I didn't say 'all'. For a leased car, you would have to declare that it's a lease car. I've just done a test on gocompare and a normal quote where I was both owner and RK returned 107 out of a possible 124 quotes, a quote for a lease car returned only 52 quotes.

Incidentally, a quote where my 'spouse' was both RK and legal owner only returned 56 quotes.

Before completing the purchase of my last policy I had to agree to a list of 'assumptions' provided by the company, one of which was "The vehicle will be kept at the RK's address", so the OP's OH would be limited in his choice of insurer or he would have to lie to get the quote he wants.