Mazda6 engine failure

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a 2008 Mazda 6 Sport (2.0 D engine) with 45k miles on, full service history etc, apart from the usual DPF issues that I see others have my engine made a strange noise. Took it to the dealer and believe it or not - 3.5 years old and 45k miles, needs a new engine !!!! why ? well when they removed the sump there is a short gear on the cam shaft which drives the oil pump and there wasnt any teeth left on the gear, the oil pump didnt work and the engine has all but seized up.

Mazda straight away offered 35% towards the £5k repair bill, very kind of them, I then picked up the telephone and complained and got to 50% towards it, better I guess. However I found out that they can give 10-75% towards the repair if it is thought bad enough, but I do not fit the 75% bill, god only knows what has to happen to get that !!!

I am still battling claiming the engine part was faulty, not built for purpose etc, it just isnt good enough and perhaps contacting the HP finance company to explain I have something not fit for purpose will help ???

Any advice feel free, in the mean time if you have or are thinking of buying a Mazda 6, you may have to change the engine before 50k miles, I have !

Duncan

Provided the vehicle has a full service history then from an engineering perspective you have been denied very close to 2/3rds of the designed life in terms of mileage and age of the vehicle. Consequently normal manufacturers practice would be to contribute around 66% of the replacement. There are other factors that they take into account such as if you have had the car from new, does it have a complete dealer service history etc, essentially testing the loyalty to the brand.

After 5 years, cars generally fall out of the dealer network so contributions then drop dramatically where no contribution will be considered unless it's a known design fault and part of a current campaign or was recently.

I take it the car is at a Mazda dealer?

Unless you can tick all of the boxes applicable above, 50% is not a bad offer but if you can get more all well and good, it will not however be above 66% unless you have a seriously good argument which I can't see at the moment.

Hi, the car is in a Mazda dealer where I bought it, it has full service history and no other problems apart from corroded alloys and paint chips easily on the bonnet.

I am looking at the consumer act 1979, although out of warranty you do have a claim on parts that are not fit for purpose or no way near the life of the item, which 45k miles is nothing these days.

I might contact the HP finance company and let them know that I have a car under finance which is not worth its value, that should worry a finance company, and if they have a big deal with Mazda on the financing they might be able to put some weight behind my issues.

Mazda have said they can offer 10-75% contribution depending on the issue, I have been offered 50% but I feel that is not enough on such a failure. Start motor, battery then fair enough but not a worn gear in the engine, that isnt good enough in my eyes.

Duncan

They are not obliged to give anything at all unless you can prove there was an inherrent fault in that particular gear on the oil pump. To do that will cost you well in excess of what is being offered. Try to get the offer up to the 66% using the argument I have given you. Start threatening legal action under 1979 SOGA and they will dig in with you very likely getting nothing. Whichever way you look at it, you are NOT entitled to the cost of a new engine as you have had the benefit of a third of its design life. You have also not stated if you have owned the car from new. If not then consider 55% as being a fair settlement. Finance co probably won't give a monkeys either.

• 7 months later...

Just read the post on the Mazda6 failure. I have a 2009 2.2 TD. The oil warning light came on the other day and I immediately stopped ther car. Called out the AA who towed me to a garage who said it was only a faulty sensor, I could drive to the dealer and have the sensor changed, coz there was plenty of oil pressure. I went about 200 yards and the engine started making a slight rattling sound. I called the AA again, who took me to the main Mazda dealer in the area. They have now told me that the oil pump is knackered and will have to be replaced. They even said that the worst case scenario is a new engine. The car is SEVEN DAYS out of warranty!!!!!!!They have said they will open up a warranty claim for meSo, I am now looking at a potentially large billNOT AMUSED

I will certainly try. I bought the car under a PCP scheme and am waiting for the balloon payment to hit me on 15th June, so technically it is still the finance company's car. But the company is Santander, so I will probably get nowhere with them. I am hoping that it is just the oil pump. When the garage phones me back later today I should know one way or the other. If not, then I am hoping that Mazda will help me out