• Tweets

• First begging letter received from Overdales   ;Blah blah blah, our client's are going to win this blah blah blah we supplied all your documents under CPR   PS you can stop all this by paying £1200 less in a lump sum
    • Right,  so the court hasn't send out the Directions Questionnaires/N180s yet. PE's one is a false one, meant to intimidate you into thinking your defence was rubbish and they are confident with their claim. This is par for the course.  The PPCs do this regularly. However, PE have gone further and written that "a copy has also been filed with the court" which is a lie as the court haven't even sent out the papers yet. Keep a screenshot of MCOL, later on in your WS you can draw attention to their lying and abuse of court procedure. If you've got time on your hands, then complain to the BPA about one of their members lying.    
    • We need documents to be uploaded in PDF format. Uploading in Microsoft Word format discloses personal details relating to you which you should not be sharing. Click upload – to understand what to do. How did you pay for the vehicle? You start by saying that you should have walked away – yes you should. Not only because of the reputation of this company but also if the transaction isn't perfect you shouldn't get involved and you certainly shouldn't be taking the word of some used car dealer. Big fail! Why are some of your letter in black and some the in red? When you get some of the ideas in there – have you use a template from somewhere else? They aren't interested in a delay caused by some fire alarm or something. They certainly aren't interested either by the distress you are suffering. They have hundreds of customers who become victims of this kind of thing. All of those customers suffer distress. Big Motoring World don't seem to be very bothered. What are the faults which exist with the vehicle now? Is it just the splashing? Where is the splashing? What is it that is splashing?   Do I also understand that you purchased the vehicle without trying it at all and the first time you were in it and had splashing was after you had made the contract?
    • A claim was issued against you on 22/04/2024 Your acknowledgment of service was submitted on 06/05/2024 at 13:28:08 Your acknowledgment of service was received on 07/05/2024 at 01:05:18 Your defence was submitted on 23/05/2024 at 21:20:03 Your defence was received on 24/05/2024 at 08:05:43
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

how to take legal action against hsbc?

noddy997
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My costs are not much. If I remember correctly, when I told the HSBC team it added up to just under £100. With the court cost its another £100, so £200 really. But I will go over everything a few times over the weekend.

Yes it is but at a very slow rate, their increments are tedious... (£500, £1000, £1200, £1500)

Sorry, what is a Tomlin? I never heard of it before.

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

Doesn't sound enough Nod, I've agreed terms of 3k costs on a 500 squid claim before as an LiP........ not sure you've considered everything that you've been encumbered with.

View it as a way out for the other side, purely on a commercial basis.. a Tomlin becomes a contract or an agreement with you setting the terms.

Wiki may assist with a brief overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomlin_order

£3k costs would have involved some of the following; loss of wages, paying babysitter, travel and so forth.

At the time I wasn't working so I cant add that nor I have got kids. This is what I have got; fuel, parking, purchase of credit files, postage, telephone, printing, about 10 or so hours wasted at mortgage brokers/banks multiplied by reasonable time cost of £10 per hour as stated by FOS.

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

Nod, you'd be offering the other side a way out......... it's not for you to substantiate costs, if it wants to play that game it may as well proceed to trial. Pluck a figure out of thin air, really makes no difference to the effect of same.

Noddy

Could I suggest a simple e-mail to the other side, no need for legalese........ try something along the following lines

Dear chuckle bros,

I believe it would be sensible to explore the possibility of compromising the case by way of Tomlin.

If your client is in agreement I will prepare same for consideration and engrossment.

Please take instruction accordingly

I look forward to your comments

Regards

xxxxx

Nod, you'd be offering the other side a way out......... it's not for you to substantiate costs, if it wants to play that game it may as well proceed to trial. Pluck a figure out of thin air, really makes no difference to the effect of same.

You mean settle before court?

This thread is massively long I will give you a quick update.

In Nov 2012 I informed them of Durkin's case and other cases his case was based on, and I asked them them for £4000 (they never even bothered replying to the second letter I sent them detailing inner facts of those cases as they challenged me on the initial mention of Durkin). On Mon 14 Jan, with the mediator, again I asked for £4000 and they said no and offered £1200!

They want to settle for tedious figures. And I dont really want to budge off the £4000 mark. They're getting a grand off plus saving the costs.

The hearing is on 27th Feb.

Edited by noddy997

Nod, I've read the thread..... I've used the case law myself but never engaged at trial as I wouldn't seek to entertain any contest prior to the Richards supreme court hearing.

Try the invite to compromise, nothing ventured, nothing gained...... you never know it may bite and you get the result you want without the need for a trial.

No need to mention figures, you're just asking and looking for some feedback from the other side to test its position.

Dear chuckle bros,

Please take instruction accordingly

Woudln't that section need figures?

And how would you check its position? I thought Tomlin was a set of orders based on agreement?

Nope, all you are doing is asking if there is any interest from the other side. If it responds in the positive you compile your terms within a schedule for agreement and filing with the order.

The order itself is very basic in reference to the schedule........ example below for info. The schedule becomes the agreement/contract between the parties and sits behind the order.

IN THE xxxxxx COMBINED COURT CENTRE CLAIM NO: xxxxxxxx

BETWEEN:-

MR xxxxxxxxx

Claimant

-and-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx BANK PLC

Defendant

TOMLIN ORDER

UPON THE PARTIES having agreed terms:-

BY CONSENT IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:-

1. All proceedings are stayed on the terms set out in the schedule hereto for the purposes of which the parties shall be at liberty to apply.

2. There shall be no order as to costs.

Dated this day of xxxxx 2013

We hereby consent to an Order in the above terms.

………………………………………………. …………………………………………………..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Claimant Solicitors for the Defendant

Why would it need to? It's a compromise, you want 4k......... it won't budge, you offer a way out to compromise the case at say 1500.00 + 3000.00 costs, who's the winner if it agrees?

You have to bear in mind it will do all that it can to remove itself from the possibility of making any admission in court. It's not a question of a few quid in this case, its the overall exposure it wants to avoid.

Try the e-mail as drafted[don't mention any value/quantum or costs] and bump the thread when it responds.

Probably best not to call them chuckle bros though :-)

But I havn't endeavoured £3000 in costs and they would want proof of this.

They are already saying I need to prove any damage suffered (so the expense will be more proof).

Also, I dont think I have an email address for DG.

But I havn't endeavoured £3000 in costs and they would want proof of this.

Also, I dont think I have an email address for DG.

I think if you looked at your time in the matter at £18.00 per hour then 3k would be a fair estimate, not that its any of the other sides business anyway. Try to keep in mind it doesn't matter what you state your costs are for a compromise, its merely a means to an end.

email addy........ give them a bell and ask.

but £18 an hour is disputable they would be like "oh we aint on £18 an hour and we're legal rep"

How do you know that?

They would again nit pick and say we need proof. They already are for the damage.

From sight of its cost apps

Is this information available along with further info?

I seen on a thread a pdf on DG but the link was broken to the pdf :S

I really feel like writing a nice harsh reply to DG as they always bang on about their sides costs!

Not sure that would be constructive, it doesn't want to go to trial...... it's lost on the point of exposure to track to place any pressure on you, it will now rely on conduct in an attempt to recoup its costs in the sct - hence the recent w/p offer.

I would imagine it will run through the whole gamut of offers and attempt to present you in a less than good light.

Test the water with the consent or Tomlin, for every offer it would be sensible to make a counter offer or present a counter solution to the issue [in writing]

I have read in other HSBC DG threads, that DG just bang on about nothing but costs to their client.

If the Judge wasnt to agree with me, then will I be liable for their costs?

Costs order in your case, always a possibility.

Me liable for costs if I lose at trial??