• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ro v CAPITAL ONE

ro284
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my next target, i reckon i'm about 6 weeks behind Philbo83. a thread i am watching with interest,but do not want to clutter. however i am stuck with the address (would you believe) i have a feeling it may have changed since 02 it's Head office i need, to send my SAR to the CEO. i don't want to get that wrong i have seen several addresses!Regards Ro

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, could i have some guidance please,

First of all i sent a SAR for my rather old 02 account to Capital One, last week,

in the meantime sods law played it's tricky part,

with the postman telling me he had accidentally put some letters through next door letterbox,

(they were away on holliday),

just got our letters tonight, to find that Capital One have sent a DN to my wife,

Apparently they do not accept the letters we have sent ( WHICH INCLUDED 4 token payments they accepted)

to the amount suggested by CCC,S! wher-as Barclays and my MBNA have accepted the same amount.

Capital One's letter has put us in a bit of a panic, threatening to sell the Dept, home visits, etc.etc. the amount is 8k ish.

We are sure there are some miss-sold PPI,s, on her account, and we were going to send a SAR to them regarding this.

as i said earlier i have Sar'd them for my old account which definitely has PPI on the statements for mine.

although my wifes account was not used regularly it does go back sometime,

she remembers a dispute about PPI some time ago.

Am i correct in thinking that if we send a SAR, for her account, we can state Account in Dispute?

regards Ro

Just to add, On the 18th we recieved a letter asking us to return income and expendature information, etc so that they could give us a payment plan, however they had previously accepted token payment suggested by CCCS, then only 4 days later 22nd. they send a Statement of default letter, also saying the account is terminated and we owe them £xxxxx They have no idea that i am retired and having treatment for mental/stress problems. if only they refund all PPI,s etc. payments that quick! we were in the process of replying to state that it would not be fair to our other creditors to make a seperate income expenditure to them, when others had accepted CCCS payments! Any advice please? Regards Ro

Have you told them you are suffering health problems and retired? You don't have to do them an expenditure form, you know. You could say you can only tackle one thing at a time due to your health and would they please do the PPI repayment - and then you can put your attention to the rest.

A SAR does not put an account into

dispute.

Please sort out the debts you have

into logical order with the name of the original

creditor, the type of account, the name of the

DCA chasing the debt, and what action has been

taken so far, your thread is a little confusing

at present.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thankyou so much for your reply Wanting out, and Brigadier, Sorry for the confusing thread, it's a mess and i just cannot sort it out today, i am in such a muddle, the dactor has increased meds, only another 12 weeks to see the head mending doctor. as you can see i have even got 2 threads with the same title! i cant cope with it now, but right or wrong i have decided to ignore the latest threat from capital one and continue to pay the token payments as set out by ccc'sI will try and sort things out more before posting,Regards Ro

Hi Ro. you are obviously in a very

vulnerable state is there any one who

can act for you and write to Cap 1 to

tell them of this, it is wrong for them to

put you under this stress, so do ignore

them for now, they have no powers

to do any thing to you at this time.

So try to relax, get it straight in your

mind it is a debt not the end of the world,

loads of expert help and advice is available

here.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes, take it easy. If it's CCCS who have done a debt management plan for you - Cap 1 shouldn't be bothering you. If you can bear to, you could drop them a quick line saying you're very unwell and to stop hassling you. Keep a copy as evidence. If that's too much, just remember you've done your best and you're not well. Good luck, Ro!

Hi there,

I think you should phone CCCS in the morning and advise them of the harassment you are receiving.

Please don't worry too much about any action Capital One threaten to take. They make a nuisance of themselves and do very little. If you get any threatening letters or calls from Debitas you should know they are the debt-collecting arm of CapOne and you don't need to worry about them too much either.

Let us know what CCCS say and if we need to advise further, but they can probably help in view of your situation. You can report them to OFT for harassment if you need to and we can help you with that letter.

DDx

threads merged

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much for replies, I have phoned cccs and they said as you guys have said, to keep paying token payment and on time, even if they hand it over to a DCA, keep paying it! They also said creditors are not interested in your health! or the fact you may be retired! They just want money, I must point out for my sake as well as possibly yours, this is my wife’s account with Cap one. We do know there are PPI payments on this account, Also I closed my account with them, some years ago, however I have some statements from 2002 -07 which also show Accident-Death cover insurance, I was S/E as indeed my wife still is. and we have always had our own insurance.Regards Ro

Hi Ro,

You should be able to claim back the PPI. Add it all up and see how much you can take off the total they are demanding. It could reduce the debt considerably.

If you do get bothered by any DCAs just say and we'll provide a nice letter to send to them. Never, ever, ever speak to any of them on the telephone. You are not obliged to do so. Also send them the following with regard to their threat of a home visit:

Please be advised that under OFT rules you can only visit me at my home if you make anappointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied licence under English Common Law for people to be ableto visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and peopleasking for directions, etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B.per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke licence under CommonLaw for you or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do sothen you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will betaken including, but not limited to, police attendance.

As you havebeen given this notice, should your representative then come to my property andcause any embarrassment which results in financial loss to me you will also beliable for damages.

Then, print off a copy with your name and address on and should someone turn up just hand it to them and shut the door. I would say though that I've only ever had one person turn up, years ago, and he went like a lamb when I gave him the notice. No-one can enter your premises without a court order even if they do turn up, but I think it is highly unlikely if you send them that letter in the post.

DD

Edited by Desperate Daniella

Hi

DD is right and don't forget that on a credit card you claim compound interest on those payments at least at the rate they were charging you on the card.

In some cases this wipes the debt completely and leaves the claimant with money in the pocket too!

Regards

ims

Edited by ims21

Thankyou so much DD and ims, very much appreciated, as my statements are in a muddle for my old cap one account, and not sure of dates etc, am i right in thinking i should send a SAR with a £10 p.o for each of our names, not for each of the 2 accounts? i read one of your replies ims that there is no need to give account numbers, as we need all info they hold on us both, (not specific accounts) unfortunately on my SAR to Barclays i did put a account number. hope thats not a problem, i'm learning as i go, i wonder what a Tort is. i am starting to get organised more now thanks to all help from you guys gals, and will start other threads for my other matters.Thakyou Ro

Hi ro

As regards the SAR, you have to think in terms of who is the data subject....i.e. who is the information relevant to.

Your goodself and your wife are different data subjects for accounts where they belong to you individually. If you had a joint account, you combine to form a data subject.

So, for your data you would need to send a SAR and for your wife's data you would need to send another one. Each of these will cost £10.

If you so wish you can specify and account number BUT it gives the institution an opportunity of holding back info which is not relevant to that account. The best way is to make sure you specify that the request is not specific to any particular account but relates to ALL data held. From memory the appropriate wording is included in the SAR template in the CAG library.

As far as Tort goes...google "tort" or "law of tort" and you'll get loads of info on what Tort is.

Regards

ims

Thankyou again DD, and ims, for all your help and advice. i will get 2 x SAR's off ASAP, and keep you up to date, my age is 68, i was obviously looking younger than i am! when i applied for these loans! or perhaps they are happy to give a loan someone who will of course be or retirement age before it is paid off! Does that fact or age, make any difference please? abbey are next, who i believe are MBNA? To whom we have both paid huge amounts £50 each month for years, i found some more statements today,2005. no wonder being S/E was not as profitable as hoped! Will start another thread, Kind regards Ro

Thankyou again DD, and ims, for all your help and advice. i will get 2 x SAR's off ASAP, and keep you up to date, my age is 68, i was obviously looking younger than i am! when i applied for these loans! or perhaps they are happy to give a loan someone who will of course be or retirement age before it is paid off! Does that fact or age, make any difference please? abbey are next, who i believe are MBNA? To whom we have both paid huge amounts £50 each month for years, i found some more statements today,2005. no wonder being S/E was not as profitable as hoped! Will start another thread, Kind regards Ro

Hi ro

You're obviously blessed with youthful looks as am I !!!!

This really shows that they took no account of age, employment status etc. This is more ammo for your claim of course.

They should have discussed age with you (amongst other things) in their suitablity analysis.

I suppose that if you look 25 (Like I do) it never crossed their minds.

Regards

ims