Can i get money back from a warranty on a machine i no longer own?

lynd12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4641 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

5 years ago i took out a warranty on a washing machine - we then moved and i continued to pay each month without realising. The company say it is up to me to advise them when we no longer own the machine (we sold it to the people who took over the house). Can i write to ask the company to refund all/some of the money or are they right - i should have advised them. I do not think they contacted us during those 5 years - but of course having moved house we would not necessarily have known if they had been in touch. Is it worth writing to the company or will they always say that i did not inform them of my new address and so can't have any of my money back?

Hmm tricky one

I would think that they will say you should have advised them when you moved house (had you kept the machine, you would have needed to transfer the warranty to the new address anyway, so they should have been on the "notify of change of address" list - although it is sooo easy to forgot people on that list!) so i can see their point. I guess that is what they will say, that had you moved the machine when you moved, you would have needed to notify them then, and I'm also guessing you didnt have mail redirection in place which would have forwarded any letters to you from them. Was it a Direct Debit policy? if you had cancelled the Direct debit that would have generated a letter from them, which you wouldnt have got as they used the old details, although they would have then cancelled the warranty due to non payment.

Is it worth writing to the company or will they always say that i did not inform them of my new address and so can't have any of my money back?

I fail to see the difference the address would make.

If it is your warranty, it is presumably enforceable, whoever would use the machine.