• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
        • I agree
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Debenhams Store Card PPI ***Urgent Help Required*******

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, right back from work

The directions state that " each party must deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents on which that party it intends to reply at the hearing no later than fourteen days before the hearing". - can i argue that i did "deliver" within that deadline as that was the 14th day i posted it?. Sent Monday 13th Feb g'teed delivery, hearing date 27th Feb??

The papers for the court were also delivered 13th Feb.

HC Supp WS covering letter states " please find enclosed by way of service upon you, the claimants supp ws. We can confirm the same has been filed with court". Their letter is dated 18th Feb, envelope franked 20 feb and arrived 21 feb.

Help much appreciated, and also what do i do about the bits of my ws they have ignored such as DPA breach, missing statements so how can they accurately calculate what they claim i owe? The issue is sending DCA letters when the account was clearly in dispute?

Thanks

KatieJ :rolleyes:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Kate, I cant quite make out what exactly it is you are asking ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Citizen

I need to know whether i can use my interpretation of the hearing order in terms of the directions state that " each party must deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents on which that party it intends to reply at the hearing no later than fourteen days before the hearing". - can i argue that i did "deliver" within that deadline as that was the 14th day i posted it?. Sent Monday 13th Feb g'teed delivery, hearing date 27th Feb??, HC have put in the sup WS that it should be struck out due to my paper work being 1 day late

Also were they late with their Supp WS as this only arrived Tuesday? I have tomorrow off so will do some more work.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know what parts of their Supp WS i need to pay particular attention to?? They have made comments regarding the cases i have mentioned and not a specific referral to pariculars of the cases??

This is all stressing me out loads and i'm really not confident for Monday at all?

Thanks

Kate

I'm pretty sure the dj will allow your w/s, can't see how late service was prejudicial to the other party. It appears to have had the opposite effect and allowed them to raise additional arguments. They're not exactly sure of the position either........ if they were they wouldn't have served supp in response.

You can apply for relief from sanction [cpr 3.9], even if a little late in the day. It may offer you a little added protection if things don't look like they're going your way at the hearing.

As far as points within their w/s.......... take a deep breath....... and break down each argument to the position you understand it to be, look for the logical counter argument/rebuttal [caselaw, S.I etc].

Once you're happy that you've understood their position, and have a sound response to each, build it into your skel for the hearing so you have a clear point of reference for the day.

Gez

Kate

I'm pretty sure the dj will allow your w/s, can't see how late service was prejudicial to the other party. It appears to have had the opposite effect and allowed them to raise additional arguments. They're not exactly sure of the position either........ if they were they wouldn't have served supp in response.

You can apply for relief from sanction [cpr 3.9], even if a little late in the day. It may offer you a little added protection if things don't look like they're going your way at the hearing.

As far as points within their w/s.......... take a deep breath....... and break down each argument to the position you understand it to be, look for the logical counter argument/rebuttal [caselaw, S.I etc].

Once you're happy that you've understood their position, and have a sound response to each, build it into your skel for the hearing so you have a clear point of reference for the day.

Gez

Hi Gez, can you explain the relief from sanction part, not heard of that before? I have 3 days now to get ready, and i so want to win, I will prep what i can tomorrow and post it for checking. Sometimes i feel so out of my depth so it's good to have a bit of morale support. :-)

Hi Kate

Draft a letter to the court manager in the morning [cc the claimant sols], go for something along the lines of;

Dear sir

Case number .........../ ................ v...............

Please would you file and place before the district judge presiding the above case.

As a litigant in person it is admitted that confusion resultant from order of [date] led to a delay in exchange of witness statement by some 24 hours; the date of delivery being confused with date of postal service.

I apologise profusely to the court and to claimant party to case and would request that relief from sanctions are applied pursuant to CPR3.9 & 3.10

The defendant assures the court that the delay was without intent, and further avers that it has complied with all previous orders within a timely manner.

I believe that the delay has caused the claimant no prejudice, having allowed it to further expand upon it's case, and narrow the issues within its subsequent supplemental witness statement.

Having receipted the claimants rebuttal witness statement some 7 days prior to hearing date, it is further avered that the trial date [as allocated] is not compromised by want of the shortest of periods of service delay.

I would be grateful to the courts indulgence in applying its case management powers of discretion in this matter, allowing the case to continue with all served witness statements.

Regards

Don't forget to verify with a statement of truth

Edited by gezwee

Hi Kate

Include everything you believe is core to your case. They've probably avoided drawing argument to certain points within your w/s as it could be damaging to their case.

Without reading back through all your thread can you remind me which points they declined to respond to or draw into argument?

Gez

Hi Gez (or any other lovely helpers!)

Here goes on the points they haven't responded on

1. DPA denial

2. Imcomplete DPA request

3. no comment on how they can come up with their sum based on DPA breach (i've gone down the lines of imability to produce accurate records although they claim to have account cover brochre and application form pre dating their statements by some 5 years)

4. how can any alleged default notices be accurate based on 4 above

5. I have not received a DFN and have stated this but no comment made as to this

6.issuing of DCA letters whilst account was defnaely in dispute, and breach of OFT guidelines on procedure

I've been looking at their supp WS, and i'm uncovering quite a few mistakes such as wrong dated for Order being quoted! (not what you'd expect from a firm of legal experts), also inconsistencies so i'll carry on with this tomorrow (I feel like Poirot!!!!)

I so much appreciate the help i am getting despite comments in the Supp WS as to how these sites are only here to try and help people avoid paying their debts!!

I'll be working on this again tomorrow and will post up my comments on their WS & Supp WS for someone to check i'm on the right lines with my side of things??

I'm now starting to feel a little happier about his again!!,

Many thanks :-)

Hi Kate

Glad to see you've cheered up a bit :-)

Every point they don't want you to play, argue it........ it's fairly common for the sols to try to direct the judge, don't let them get away with it. If they've declined to fully comply with DPA and further decline to answer any questions regarding accuracy of balance of account make sure the dj is aware of why this is prejudicial to a fair hearing.

If there's 5 years of account data missing [and assuming you always operated the account in a negative balance], where did they conjure the starting balance from?

It may be worthwhile calculating all debits/credits to account for the period they have provided data..... if the nett balance is in your favour, or writes off the balance they plead, its a counter position to add to your skel..... if it doesn't work in your favour, do as they do, and ignore it :-)

Looks like you have plenty of argument to compile yet

Gez

They will always try to play that old whinge about sites such as CAG helping people avoid repaying their debts. .

You have, presumably never denied entering into an agreement or that you are refusing to repay monies you genuinely owe.

The Defence has indeed been produced with the benefit of assistance available via a consumer advice website, though I would contend that fact would only be clear to someone such as yourself who makes it their business to patrol such websites. Further, I take exception to your remarks that it is inappropriate of me to avail myself of the assistance afforded by a consumer advice website.

At the end of the day, if these companies treated their customers with respect and hadnt tried ripping them off with mis sold products then there would be no need for sites such as CAG.. would there ?

What next.. will they try to have any legal reference books removed from libraries ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks Citizen & Gez, exactly, i haven't had the 7 years odd training to become a legal expert! As they are such professional & experts i find it quite amusing that they have managed to quote the DJ notice of order as 26 Oct, when in fact it is 11 Nov! :-)

Part of my skeleton and WS does state that i have never denied entering into an agreement and i am not refusing to repay what is genuinely owed so that looks to be in my favour?

I have done as Gez suggested and checked the debits & credits from the statements they have produced and the net balance is a debit of £794.31. Looking on the negative side should i loose can i argue what is genuinely owed based on their lack of statements and reduce it to this figure?? I just want to ensure i am prepared for the worst!.

I was alo thinking of compiling some data around the recently reported losses for the major banks due to the compensation being paid out on mis sold PPI, and the FSA reported costs so far. Is this a worthwhile excercise?? (another job for tomorrow!!)

I have done as Gez suggested and checked the debits & credits from the statements they have produced and the net balance is a debit of £794.31. Looking on the negative side should i loose can i argue what is genuinely owed based on their lack of statements and reduce it to this figure?? I just want to ensure i am prepared for the worst!.

Hi Kate

Not sure if it was clear from my previous post, this was for a calculation based on £00.00 at start date of account history as presented. Any interest encumbered would only be effective on the debit sums from that date. Did you put everything into a spready and run the calcs on the applicable int rates?

If it the account operates at 28 days free of interest application from transaction date then build the int free period in as well

I'd echo everything that Cb said, if we as consumers were treated fairly there'd never be a need for litigation

Gez

Hi Kate

Hmmmm...... not an easy one to explain the calcs on here, pretty sure there's a spreadsheet template in the library section to suit but if you think you might struggle give me a shout. Alternatively, can you type up a list of all transactions inc dates [debit & credit] and applicable interest rates for the period. If you can get something on here later today or tomorrow I'll do a spready for you and attach it back on here.

Gez

Duplicates are OK [assuming accurate], the missing periods of statement are a bit of a concern though...... what on earth are they basing their claim on?

They'll need to rely on hearsay evidence to act as witness to missing data...... which of course you'll want to question - the first question of which would be whether they could confirm under oath that the balance wasn't fully discharged during any of the missing data periods.

You really need to bring this to the dj's attention as soon as you can get a word in.

If it wasn't so late in the day I think I'd be inviting them to discontinue. DO NOT let them hand you any missing docs at the hearing until you're all seated with the dj. If they try it on in the waiting room tell them you're only prepared to discuss your costs and their discontinuance. If they have additional data to disclose they can wait and ask the permission of the dj. If you're not happy with it, and think they're trying to ambush you, ask the dj to deny them relief and/or seek an adjournment.

Gez

Hi Gez

I will definately not be speaking to anyone before the hearing. Part of me thinks it is now better i have found it later on as they submitted this in August so have had plenty of time to correct it!!! Is it still worth me outting them on a sheet for you??

Hi Kate

Not really going to be much use with the data you have, I believe it's in your interest to bring it to the dj's attention as early in proceedings as possible.

They effectively have no basis to their claim and it brings the value of your counter into question without relief to data.

What is the total value [as pleaded] to theirs and your counter?

Gez

Hi Gez

They are claiming £1288.22, mine is for £5017.03 including Contractual Int & £100 court fees (plus any oher costs the judge wants to award), on my schedule i have put est costs as their DPA request was incomplete. :-)

Edited by Kate1973