Welcome Finance and settlement figure

Geezey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, I wonder if someone can help me please? Recently lost my job/business and have now decided to sell my house and get a fresh start. Unfortunately I have a couple of secured loans with Guess who? First Plus (2nd charge) and Welcome Finance as a (3rd Charge) which I took out some time a go for my business.

I have now sold my house but unfortunately there is a shortfall owing to Welcome Finance and I have prepared a letter to send offering them a full and final settlement which I believe is totally fair. This is based on the fact that in early 2005 I borrowed £22k and as of their recent so called settlement figure I still owe £21k even though I have paid them back more than £21k since 2006. The strange thing is that I believe their figure is wrong as in mid 2006, 17 months after I took out the loan I asked for an early settlement and they came back with an initial figure owing of £56k - £29K interest reversal and minus £5k for payments made, this left a balance of approx £22k which I can partly understand. However after a further 5 years and paying an additional £16k (total £21K) back. their latest settlement figure shows still £21k approx???? Is it me or am I going mad!!!

I have spoken to a very unhelpfull lady who said that they are not accepting short settlements, however she was not in a position I believe to say yes or no anyway.

If they do not accept this it means I will not be able to sell my house and will have to hand back the keys to the mortgage company and then proabably bankruptcy. I have explained to Welcome that if they do not accept my offer they wil end up getting nothing as a quick sale by the mortgage company would not get then anywhere near the sale I have accepted leaving them with nothing. Can they be that stupid???

Any help or advice on this guys would be appreciated. I have heard that postppj is a superstar when it comes to sortig this bunch of morons out, if so I could do with your help.

Cheers

At the end of the day they will have no option other than accept the shortfall. Although they may pursue you later. However if the property has gone there is lttle they can do.

Welcome get hit with this one a regular basis as they regularly provided secured loans on a inflated valuation. The other thing is that they did not always register the security and this is something you should check.

Perhaps someone could come in and advise you how to check if the security is registered as I am Scottish based and not familiar with procedures outwith.

Thread moved to Welcome Finance Forum

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Crocdoc,

Thanks for the reply, the property has not gone yet and will not be able to go unless they release their charge on the property which is on the land registry as I have checked. The girl was adamant that they would not accept this as it is now not their policy to accept shortfalls? Which I think is absolutely bonkers. I have offered them over 50% of their over inflated balance, which still gives them a very healthy profit over all. These guys are a law unto themselves and I am seriously thinking about challenging their settlement. The only prob is it costs money to do this!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Guys, I wonder if someone can help me please? Recently lost my job/business and have now decided to sell my house and get a fresh start. Unfortunately I have a couple of secured loans with Guess who? First Plus (2nd charge) and Welcome Finance as a (3rd Charge) which I took out some time a go for my business.

I have now sold my house but unfortunately there is a shortfall owing to Welcome Finance and I have prepared a letter to send offering them a full and final settlement which I believe is totally fair. This is based on the fact that in early 2005 I borrowed £22k and as of their recent so called settlement figure I still owe £21k even though I have paid them back more than £21k since 2006. The strange thing is that I believe their figure is wrong as in mid 2006, 17 months after I took out the loan I asked for an early settlement and they came back with an initial figure owing of £56k - £29K interest reversal and minus £5k for payments made, this left a balance of approx £22k which I can partly understand. However after a further 5 years and paying an additional £16k (total £21K) back. their latest settlement figure shows still £21k approx???? Is it me or am I going mad!!!

I have spoken to a very unhelpfull lady who said that they are not accepting short settlements, however she was not in a position I believe to say yes or no anyway.

If they do not accept this it means I will not be able to sell my house and will have to hand back the keys to the mortgage company and then proabably bankruptcy. I have explained to Welcome that if they do not accept my offer they wil end up getting nothing as a quick sale by the mortgage company would not get then anywhere near the sale I have accepted leaving them with nothing. Can they be that stupid???

Any help or advice on this guys would be appreciated. I have heard that postppj is a superstar when it comes to sortig this bunch of morons out, if so I could do with your help.

Cheers

Hi mateback in 2006 I was in exactly the same situation. Mortgage with Northern Rock, 2nd charge also with Northern Rock, 3rd charge with Welcome Finance. I was in financial dicciculty and sold my property too. I paid the mortgage, first charge and most of the second charge but was left with around a £5k balance with Welcome Finance.They had no choice but to accept this and in the end the remaining balance was paid as an unsecured loan for a period of time. Its worth noting however that after paying it back for a couple of years, I managed to get £3k of this written off, because I claimed the PPI from the loan against Welcome and won. Have a look and see if your eligible.Best of luck

Hi Edinburgh 7,

Thanks for the reply, do you mind me asking did Welcome release the charge with out any payment and then turn it in to an unsecured loan? As I was led to believe that they could stop the sale of the property? Or do they have no choice but to release the charge?

Cheers

Hi Edinburgh 7,

Thanks for the reply, do you mind me asking did Welcome release the charge with out any payment and then turn it in to an unsecured loan? As I was led to believe that they could stop the sale of the property? Or do they have no choice but to release the charge?

Cheers

In all honesty mate, they didnt even question it. I told them if I didnt sell then Id go bankrupt, the house would be reposessed and they would get nothing. As it is I wold the house and paid them about £22k with the £5k being left over. No unsecured loan was drawn up, it just sort of worked out that way. There were no additional charges and the interest on the remaining balance was frozen.

Hi Geezey

I spoke to my local branch of Welcome yesterday and wanted to speak to them about a settlement ( i owe just under 4100 in arrears which is the total debt). I was wanting to offer them about 50% but got told by the office that they were not accepting settlements anymore....Is this the case or do you think it is worth offering them a figure...

Really want to get rid of this debt!!

Thank you

Hi Jimjo,

I know how you feel as have had mixed messages from Welcome regarding settlement figures. All I can say is that in my situation if they don't accept the settlement and release the charge on my house then I will go bankrupt and they will get absolutely nothing.

I have spoken to my solicitor who is dealing with my house sale and he thinks it would be absolutely crazy for them not to take up my offer, knowing that the alternative is £0 instead of over £10K. Plus the fact that their parent company is in serious financial trouble.

However I would say to you that unless you are in a position that if they do not accept a reduced settlement it would mean you going bankrupt or doing a debt relief order, then there is no advantage to them in accepting your offer they may as well just carry on pursuing you.

I would also look at the thread response below from Edinburgh 7 as he has had some joy doing this.

On a final note I am in the process of trying to get my settlement figure worked out correctly in acccordence with the consumer credit act relating to settlement figures as I believe Welcome may be trying to pull a fast one with many of its customers. Will keep the forum up to date.

Good luck.