Numberplate Retention Issue

LFC_1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4706 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice to a numberplate issue I have. I had a private plate assigned to a car which was then involved in an accident in 2006. The insurance did not cover modified parts (they were declared but not covered) so I did not go through the insurance at all, i just declared the car SORN. The plan was to repair it and get it going again, i didn't even think of the numberplate being an issue if it was SORN and i checked on y certificate for the numberplate which doesn't state anything about time periods. I bought another model and the plan was to transfer the parts over.

Fast forward to 2010 when I checked with the DVLA (over the phone unfortunately, we all know how difficult they are to deal with), about transferring the plate. They said the car it was going on to would neeed to be taxed and tested which at the time it wasn't as it wasn't ready. Now the car is done, it's taxed and tested, I wanted to transfer the plate over...

I've now been told that the car the plate was on must have had a tax and test within the last 12 months, which obviously it hasn't. The original car has been scrapped but i've not declared it scrapped yet while this numberplate issue is going on. The plate is worth about £6k and i think it's unfair that I look like losing it when the T&C's were not issued with the numberplate itself. I have an application form to swap the plates from the DVLA office who said i can send it and it would be rejected, and then i can appeal but it's very unlikely to go anywhere. Does anyone have any other advice they can give to help this situation?

Cheers

As far as I know, if a car is to be scrapped, you may apply to place the cherished plate that is on the (to be scrapped) car on retention. From there you can ask to assign the retained number onto your new car. Are you sure they are not just explaining to you that you can't transfer it directly from one vehicle to another unless both vehicles have been taxed within 12 months?

As far as I know, if a car is to be scrapped, you may apply to place the cherished plate that is on the (to be scrapped) car on retention. From there you can ask to assign the retained number onto your new car. Are you sure they are not just explaining to you that you can't transfer it directly from one vehicle to another unless both vehicles have been taxed within 12 months?

Thanks for the reply. I asked that, just about whether I could place the plate on retention and the DVLA guy just shook his head and said it's the same situation, has to have MOT and Tax within the last 12 months :roll:

I have a plate on retention...have had it for 8 years or so...without putting it onto a car..

it costs me £25 a year and must be re-paid every year or the plate will be lost..(back to the dvla for sale)

It had to be put on retention from a car with a current MOT at the time of the retention.

nothing was mentioned about a taxed or insured car.

if the 12 months have lapsed without payment then the plate now belongs to the dvla.

If a retention cert was not asked for while the car had an mot then as above.

did you pay a fee every year for your plate?

If my advice helped you please click my star

The difference between the LFC_1 and Series 3 is that the former's plate was on a vehicle, the latter's on a Retention Certificate.

When on a Retention Certificate it must be renewed annually. When on a vehicle it is subject to Continuous Licensing and Taxed or SORN'd annually.

Once on a vehicle it 'lives' as that vehicle lives, as if part of it, and subject to Continuous Licensing (Tax or SORN) until, in the records of DVLA, it is scrapped, sold, exported etc.

In the absence of a transfer, the plate 'dies' within the DVLA record as the car 'dies' therein.

My understanding is (and I am open to correction) -

When transferring plates off a vehicle, either onto another vehicle or a Retention Certificate, the donor vehicle must still exist.

Proof of this is generally accepted as a current MOT.

In cases when a current MOT is unavailable, non-existant or impossible to obtain (eg. crash) the remains of the vehicle can be taken (by trailer) for inspection to verify it still exists, albeit not as a viable 'on the road' vehicle. The inspection should not be concerned with how much of the vehicle is there - as long as they can see the main identifying section(s) containing the Serial, VIN and chassis numbers.

The registration can then be transferred to another vehicle or Retention Certificate.

In cases of total loss such as theft the DVLA will want to see Police Reports and Insurance acceptance of the situation - then the plate can be transferred. It is at the point of Insurers assuming responsibility for the vehicle (V5C) that the plate should be transferred to another vehicle or Retention Certificate in the name of the Registered Keeper/Owner, or it goes to the Insurers and 'dies' with the DVLA record.

Turning to LFC_1's problem.

If I understand correctly - the DVLA think the vehicle is on SORN when in fact he says it has been scrapped.

What does he mean by "scrapped" ?

Does 'scrapped' mean broken and/or totally disposed of, so effectively the VIN etc can no longer be inspected in any obtainable and identifiable form ?

Or does he mean considered beyond further use - other than for growing flowers in ?

Was it disposed of to a recognised scrap dealer who issued a receipt/documentation ?

I have no knowledge/solution on these points - just trying to clarify for others who know more than I.

I would simply add that if an insurance company pys out for a written-off vehicle, then the vehicle and the VRM then belong to them.

This is overcome by making a declaration at the start of the insurance that the VRM is for identification purposes only and remains your property at all times.

this dont sund good for the OP, what he should have done is place the plate on retention when he first had the accident ( obviously telling the insurance that he intends to do so, i dont know of any insurance companies that will refuse), that way he could have kept that plate within the terms of cherished transfer, but leaving the length of time he has dont look good for him, DVLA are quite correct in what they say so its now impossible for him to get that plate transfered under there terms, sounds like a £6k plate lost to me, i have private plate myself and i wouldnt have chanced leaving it on a scrap vehicle, its simply not worth it unless you want to get into problems, you should have known the DVLA rules from when you first had your plate aswell , sorry its a bit blunt and i can see that you would be miffed about the whole thing but not much you can do about this one