• Tweets

• Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid”  A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.
    • I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs beared to you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) basically saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shelley v Associates (Citi)Judgment awarded but Citi apply for S/A ***ONGOING***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

why?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because although this in formation was requested within our SAR letter no documents regarding the PPI were sent - although they were asked to comply fully with the SAR request, they replied they had!

I am interested to know what the limitations were in respect to sickness/ill health claims and if any exclusions may have applied. Would a 'retired' person have been eligible and if they subsequently returned to work should the applicant have advised them? If partner was still working would they still have been eligibl under the PPI?

Shelley

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

Am I correct being advised that if Citi reimburse any unfair charges that it will be the difference between what was charged and £12? Did they win this rule in some courtcase i'm not aware of?

Also, although people on here are saying that no reason needs to be given to reclaim PPI for being mis-sold but if you end up taking them to court, surely there has to be a valid reason why you feel that you were mis-sold it?

I would be interested if anyone has a copy of the PPI policy for Associates card/Citi from 2001/2002 and what their exclusions were at that time? If anyone has a copy, I would be very interested.

If the applicant was retired at time of the application but then subsequently returned to employment part-time, were they responsible for telling Citi? Does that give them right to not pay out on a PPI claim, if one was made?

Appreciate any feedback on this please.

Shelley

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Am I correct being advised that if Citi reimburse any unfair charges that it will be the difference between what was charged and £12? Did they win this rule in some courtcase i'm not aware of?

No....you will be claiming the whole amount, not just the difference between £12 and the actual. Forget what Citi (or any other bank may tell you about £12 being acceptable.

Also, although people on here are saying that no reason needs to be given to reclaim PPI for being mis-sold but if you end up taking them to court, surely there has to be a valid reason why you feel that you were mis-sold it?

I'm sure if you look at the list of criteria for mis-selling there will be more than one which applies to you

I would be interested if anyone has a copy of the PPI policy for Associates card/Citi from 2001/2002 and what their exclusions were at that time? If anyone has a copy, I would be very interested.

Sorry, can't help on this one

If the applicant was retired at time of the application but then subsequently returned to employment part-time, were they responsible for telling Citi? Does that give them right to not pay out on a PPI claim, if one was made?

If they were retired at the time it was sold then that's cut and dried....applicant didn't need it anyway and it wasn't a suitable product to sell.

Appreciate any feedback on this please.

Shelley

Hope the answers in red help.

ims

Hi ims,

You have come to my rescue again, thank you.

It was while I have been doing some reading that it had been picked up that if I am taking Citi to court then it is upto me to prove what their costs would be and not for them to prove what they are! Heaven's knows how I would do that? If I am to build a defence up how would I prove they are over charging for a service?

dx said that I didn't need a reason to say I was mis-sold but when I completed the form on FOS website section (d) goes into quite a bit of detail as to how one would have paid their account without it etc., (hope that makes sense).Which is why I was looking for assistance if anyone had a policy document I could view. I thought it would help my defence?

I have been going through the CCA today with a fine toothcomb and what does stand out on the photo copies of statements is that when the original account was with Associates, they didn't state the interest being charged on the statements. That may have been the same for all c/c companies at that time, not sure. In fact, Citi didn't show the interest rates being charged on the statements until the account went into default. Is that usual?

We have never received a 'true copy' of the original application form only a computer print out with the data on it but it clearly states that the applicants occupation was 'RETIRED', but he did ask for PPI, which was subsequently charged for. Therefore, I do feel we have every right to reclaim this as mis-sold and if they want to push it, I have written evidence that when the applicant became ill, following returning to part-time work, they Citi ignored his request to claim on the policy. I don't have their response but I remember thinking back then that I assumed he wasn't eligible because of a pre-existing condition - but in hindsight - how the hell would they have known that when they didn't even ask?

We have claimed (in a seperate letter) for unfair charges also but to date have received no reply. Stupidly, I gave them eight weeks to investigate but that will give me time to build my defence up for when I send lba and see them in court.

Apologies for rambling but I am so fired up today over this. Been on it for hours.

Regards

Shelley

Hi shelley

And there will probably be a few more hours on it too if I'm honest.

To the main points though, I think you are in danger of over-complicating this to some degree (forgive me for saying so).

It is well documented that the over limit and late fees are unlawful. It doesn't matter whether they are £10, £12 or £50. If you look into this more closely (and I know you have put some hours in already) you'll find that this is all based around the banks creating an unfair relationship and the fees being charged are deemed as a penalty, not as a fair charge for work involved. Penalty and unfair relationship are the main points.

Now with regard to the ppi, my simplistic, but I think logical view, is that it is black and white. Either it was mis-sold or it wasn't. There can be no "migt have been". Its rather like Yoda in Star Wars.....There is no try, there is only do or do not. Now, in your case the statement that you were retired is enough to make ppi at the time of sale totally inappropriate. Couple this with other criteria for mis-selling such as "Not fully explained", "Not advised that ther products were available" etc. gives you a clear cut case of mis-selling.

So in a nutshell, dx is right that you don't have to get into an argument about their true cost of a late payment fee because it is irrelevant under the unfair relationship and penalty situation and with regard to the ppi it appears to me to be cut and dried. Especially as the banks capitulated in the recent case and the reason they have not appealed is because they know that it is game over for them.

ims

Polite correction, OH was retired. I am his younger model and still working :)

I prefer straight talking, no frills so nothing to forgive.

I do have a tendency to over complicate some things - like to be thorough but I know I cause myself more work than is sometimes necessary.

Which is the recent case to which you refer?

I will work on my court docs and try to post when almost ready to submit. I sure could do with that holiday.

Thanks again.

Shelley

Polite correction, OH was retired. I am his younger model and still working :)

Apologies...principle is the same though

I prefer straight talking, no frills so nothing to forgive.

I do have a tendency to over complicate some things - like to be thorough but I know I cause myself more work than is sometimes necessary.

Which is the recent case to which you refer?

The ppi Judicial Review decision in April where the banks chose not to appeal against the decision on mis-selling of ppi?

I will work on my court docs and try to post when almost ready to submit. I sure could do with that holiday.

With each day that holiday is getting closer

Thanks again.

Shelley

ims

Here's a strange one for the pot.

During July I will receive confirmation that I will have 'Lasting Power of Attorney' in respect to my OH. As this account is my OH's, how will I word the WS?

KISS

keep

it

simple

stupid

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

KISS

keep

it

simple

stupid

dx

Am I missing something here? Would love to but as I am not familiar with the legalities of the court processes, I have just come to complete the NI form and although it will be the OH's as the claimant, it will be me representing/defending the case if it gets to court. Presumably, I will complete docs in OH's name and send covering letter to the court explaining?

Am I missing something here? Would love to but as I am not familiar with the legalities of the court processes, I have just come to complete the NI form and although it will be the OH's as the claimant, it will be me representing/defending the case if it gets to court. Presumably, I will complete docs in OH's name and send covering letter to the court explaining?

OK shelley....hands up....you finally got me!

I'll do some research but others may well reply before I get back on this.

ims

Comes to something when my local courts don't know!

I am not familiar with the legalities of the court processes, I have just come to complete the NI form and although it will be the OH's as the claimant, it will be me representing/defending the case if it gets to court. Presumably, I will complete docs in OH's name and send covering letter to the court explaining?

'During July I will receive confirmation that I will have 'Lasting Power of Attorney' in respect to my OH. As this account is my OH's, how will I word the WS'?

Can someone please advise how I will go about this?

Shelley

Hi shelley

Maybe drop a PM to andyorch and ask him to pop in...he's pretty good on the legals. If not he may be able to put you in the right direction.

ims

Thank you ims.

Took awhile to locate how I did that but I have managed it, thank you.

Further to your PM Shelley

Ok to get back to you in the morning ? (long day):-)

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Further to your PM Shelley

Ok to get back to you in the morning ? (long day):-)

Regards

Andy

Absolutely, no probs.

Appreciate your input.

Regards

Shelley

Hi shelley

I was sure you asked what an AQ is for but can't see it now....maybe you edited your post.

In case you are still curious.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allocation_questionnaire

Regards

ims

Guilty as charged your honour, lol. Apologies ims. I have got so many windows open and didn't realise I had the answer staring right at me. I didn't want to take up your time, so edited the post. I am trying to get to grips with the order of the courts paperwork in prep for taking Citi to the cleaners, whoops! Court.

Regards

Shelley

Hi Shelley

OK complete the N1 in your O/H name along with all the particulars.When push comes to shove you will be representing him

as a McKenzie Friend read here :-

McKenzie friends, McKensie friends, MacKenzie friends

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I am trying to write up an N1 form for the courts and have so far come up with the following;

On or between XXXX and XXXX an application was made to the defendant for an account to be opened.

My employment status at that time was 'retired'.

Payment Protection Insurance was applied for and charges are shown on monthly statements.

I took up part time employment in XXXX but became seriously ill and duly advised Citi of my ill health and a request was made to claim against the PPI policy, which was ignored.

Therefore, as PPI should not have been granted to a 'retired' applicant and later my claim was ignored when in employment and ill, I claim full reimbursement of all premiums paid plus compound interest.

Is this worded sufficiently enough for the courts or should anything else be added?

Any assistance on completing the N1 form would be appreciated.

Shelley

Hi shelley

For the N1 form itself you can keep the detail brief. For Example...Reclaim of mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance Put the full monty in your POC which will be attached to the N1 and which will go into detail.

ims

Oh okay. Cheers ims.

So when I do go into more detial on the POC I can bring in my timeline of events so to speak to explain?

On the legal pages on here they have examples for POC's but they tend to be for 'unfair charges'. They have been drafted up by some judge and are worded brilliantly. I had hoped to be able to do something similar.

Shelley