• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Arrow/? claimform - M&S Chargecard changed to Credit card

maureen1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Trying to help out a family member with this M&S credit card ,I'll give a bit of history.

She got the card about 2000/early 2001 paid all the credit owed every month until she became unemployed and spent alot,

however the payments were paid every month but only the minimum so interest kept getting added on up to now its over £10000

and she really cannot afford to pay the minimum ,

The statement wants paying by 1st March and it is impossible to pay can anyone give me some advice on how to help her with this situation ?

Do you think a CCA request should be asked for 1st ?

thankyou Maureen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to add more info to this thread.

The CCA has come back today ( i have not see it yet )

but she has telephoned me and said it has her signature on and the date when she took out the card ,

what should i advise her to do now?

offer reduced payments ?

the thing is she has in the past 3 weeks had a heart attack so i dont want all this stress on her,

what would anyone in this situation do next?

thank you Maureen

Thank you Bazooka Boo ,I'll get the cca scanned later on tonight when i go to her house,so do you think i should send them a letter saying she will be making monthly payments of £1 now?

is there a letter i could copy on here to offer them that amount ?

She was all in a panic today when she telephoned me thinking theyy were going to take her to court

-i had too calm her down and say of course thery not as your still going to be paying it just less than they say :oops:

Not sure if i have done that correctly? is this enforceable please thankyou

not sure if you can see but it looks like a application form for the m&s card? so is this a CCA?

Edited by cerberusalert
took them off as it's not showing up corectley

Hi Abby,thank you so much for coming on and helping my family member's situation.

i did think it looked fishy as it said storecard but what do i know that's why when HS said it could be used as a cca i took all those thought's out of my mind!

My Aunt has given me her permission to fight them over this if you people think its worth the fight?

So what should be my next step ? Any help will be appreciated thank you Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

Back for some more advice please.

My Aunt has received 2 letter's from M&S today i'll type them out as i have problems showing them on here (they always too small)

dear .........

I write in relation to your letter dated 21st March 2011,the contents of which have been noted.

Our agreement is compliant with the consumer credit act 1974.

the agreement is a single document in more than one piece.However,even if this were not so,section 61(1)(b)of the consumer credit act 1974requires that the signed document embody all the terms of the agreement,other than implied terms.

Section 189(4) of the act provides that a document embodies terms if they are set out in that document or are in another document referred to in it.either way,the agreement you signed conformed to the requirements of the act.

Please note that the application and agreement forms are one and the same.Above your signature on the form returned to us ,a statement reads"credit agreement regulated by cca 1974.Sign only if you want to be bound by it's terms.

Legislation requiring the form to carry the title referring to "Credit Card or Fixed Sum Loan" was enacted in 2005

Your comment relation to telephone calls has been noted( I SENT THE TELEPHONE HARASSMENT LETTER OFF AT THE SAME TIME)

However in line with the regulations governing telephone calls M&S Money is compliant under the law to call from 8am in the morning to 9pm in the evening if payment on the account has not been made.We can attempt to call you four times during the day but can only actually make contact once.We are also able to contact customers on Sundays and Bank holidays.

As the requested documents have been provided ,our normal collections action will continue.

M&S Money believe that your agreement is legally enforceable and as such refute your allegations.

I trust that i have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Any help what to do now? The telephone calls she has told me are calling 10-15 times a day on both house and mobile number ...

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just a little follow up any advice welcome please,letter received today

I write in relation to your letter dated 1st April 2011,our agreement is compliant with the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

the document signed by you our customer is an agreement with the terms and conditions on the reverse.When placed on microfilm and reproduced they appear to be separate documents.

We have complied with our duty under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in supplying documents which fulfill the requirements of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)Regulations 1983(see Carey and ors v HSBC and ors (2009)EWHC 3417(QB)If you allege that the agreement you signed does not comply with the requirements of the CCA 1974 then we ask you to provide full and sufficient details to support the allegation.

For your information,the section 61(1)(b) the document embodies all the terms of the agreement which has been taken to mean by the courts that the terms do not need to be on a single sheet of paper but can be included or embodied by reference.

Section 189(4) of the act provides that a document embodies terms if they are set out in that document or are in another document referred to in it.Either way ,the agreement you signed conformed to the requirements of the act.

Please note that the application and agreement are one and the same.Above your signature on the form returned to us,a statement reads "Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974"Sign it only if you want to be bound by its terms.

Legislation requiring the form to carry the title to "Credit Card or Fixed Sum Loan" was enacted in 2005.

When M&S Money introduced the & More credit card a letter was sent to you giving you the choice whether to accept the credit card or by using the free phone number provided to opt out.

Having decided to accept the new card it was posted to you,the enclosed correspondence included the varied terms and conditions of the account.As the credit card was accepted you acknowledged the terms and conditions associated with it.

This process was recommended to us by the Office of Fair Trading.

I can confirm that we have provided in good faith all the information we are required to provide under sections 77 or 78 of the CCA 1974.we have examined this agreement and account and are satisfied that we have a legally enforceable agreement with you.The agreement is evidenced by your use of the account and receipt of the credit funds.

As the requested documents have been provided,our normal collections action will continue.

M&S Money believe that your agreement is legally enforceable and as such refute your allegations.

any help and what to write back now please

Hi Abs and thank you for your help,You are definitely right about them they have confused me in this letter by telling me info i haven't asked and completely ignoring my requests from the letter i sent them!I think this is going to turn into a ping pong game with letters going back and forth all the time but my Aunt still wants me to fight them over this so i will continue doing this :xI'll resend another letter again asking them the same info i asked in the previous letter i sent them and ill do my own bit of copy and pasting for good measure :-)

Thank you Maureen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again, received 2 letters on Saturday what should i reply back to them?

Dear ************ IMPORTANT-YOU SHOULD READ CAREFULLY

DEFAULT NOTICE

served under section 87(1) of the consumer credit act 1974

This default notice served on you relates to account number ********************

You have not paid installments due under your agreement.You are £550.98 in arrears and are in breach of your agreement.

In order to remedy the breach,you must pay total arrears of £550.98 within 21 days of the date of this notice .

IF THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE IS TAKEN BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN NO FURTHER ENFORCEMENT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN RESPECT OF THE BREACH.IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU.

Further action referred to above:

On or after the date shown above the company will demand the full outstanding balance on your account and terminate the agreement.

Outstanding balance including interest to date £11,355.31

I would like to know what and where do i go from here (My aunt who the M&S card belongs too)Is still ill as she had heart attack so im trying to write and sort this out for her any help please thanks Maureen

Thank you Abs yes i can read it perfectly fine like it is .I really don't think replying to them and saying anything to dispute this is going to solve anything! They haven't replied to my last letter i sent this so i'm not sure where to go from here..What happens if i ignore them?.......... Or is it best to keep on sending letters backwards and forwards?

Also thank you to Bazooka Boo for your input,however the letter is dated 25/04/2011 in the top left hand corner (could they not say it had a date on the letter and 21 days from that?)I really am out of my depth with all this now and appreciate all the help i have been receiving off Abs ,yourself and everyone else on this forum

Thank you Maureen

Thank you everyone for your comments,i have taken them on board -so it's best to sit and wait what to do next! how long will it take them to sell this debt to a DCA? I'm still not sure about this date meaning the DN is invalid,the letter states 21 days from the date on this letter,i know BB has said they need to write a DD/MM/YY but i'm worried they will say no the date on the letter is enough ... (i am such a worrier,and it's not my debt :oops:)

Thank you Maureen

• 1 month later...

Hi all it's been a while since any contact then received this today from PLR (pre legal recoveries )

Dear .................,

I have been instructed to contact you by the Collections and Recoveries Department at M & S Money due to the serious arrears on your account.

Please be aware that i am planning to instruct our agents to visit your home address.You still have an opportunity to prevent this action being taken by contacting me on 0845 607 0713

I hope you appreciate the seriousness of this situation and contact me as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely

Sarah Bennett

Now this letter has left my Aunt (who is recovering from a heart attack) frightened (as you can imagine) what could i write back to block a home visit and help needed please

thank you Maureen

Thank you cerberusalert , i did send M & S that letter a while ago as i was advised to on this thread,

I could send it to PLR however it does not have a address on it just a telephone number ?

Maureen

Hi Abby- first of all that's great news for you ,i really hope i can achieve that result for my Aunt.

Yes she is still in the situation where they are bombarding her telephone all day and everyday even Sundays and bank holidays :mad2:

The charges are all amounting up too (not sure how to get them to stop with all the £12 defaults?)

Thank you so much for the enclosed letter i have just printed it off and i shall post tomorrow and HOPE that works

How could i forget you - you have helped me and my Aunt so much as you went through the same situation thank you so much you're a star and a great help :-)

A credit to this site you are . Maureen