DVLA unlicensed car

snailrider
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought my car in July 2010 from a sales agent, it had tax on it until 31.10.2010. I renewed my tax from 01.11.2010 of course.

Now I got a letter from DVLA that my car was seen unlicensed on 20.08.2010. I double checked my previous tax disc in the car (I kind of keep them and just put the new disc on the top of the stack)... I realised that the previous tax disc was just a photocopy of a paper, most likely a fake one.

1) How can I double check that the previous tax number was valid, etc?

2) If it previous tax disc is a fake one, should I now expect multiple fines up to the time when I bought my new tax disc (which is for sure valid).

3) If it turns out to be fake one, how can I claim that back on the agent? How can I clear this with DVLA?

It's kind of scary to think of that from July to November the vehicle wasn't taxed although I was in the belief that it was.

What are my options in this case?

Thanks

Edited by snailrider

Hi,

no I didn't get a reminder - I actually had to go to the post office with my insurance policy and MOT and bought one there. And now I remember, that the lady in the post office told me that she saw a gap in the tax periods. I didn't pay too much attention to it as I thought something was wrong in the computer.

Hi,

no I didn't get a reminder - I actually had to go to the post office with my insurance policy and MOT and bought one there. And now I remember, that the lady in the post office told me that she saw a gap in the tax periods. I didn't pay too much attention to it as I thought something was wrong in the computer.

Under these circumstances, don't they insist on seeing the reminder?

So, my initial questions still apply, see topic opener post.

anybody knows how the fine works? if I had a car without tax, and let's say one day I drove a full circle on M25, then am I be fined as many times as many traffic cameras I passed by? Or what should I expect now?

thanks

I would suggest that since you bought the car in good faith with what you assumed was 6 months road tax you take this matter up with the seller (if you can find him) as he seems to have comitted a fraud by selling you the car with a counterfeit tax disc!

I will give him a call but I'm sure he would deny this. I remember pretty clearly I asked him about the tax when I bought the vehicle. But if it ends up in court it will be his word against mine. What are the chances to win such a trial? I guess these cunning sharks can pay the best lawyers.

The current system of car trading is just so much prone to fraud. And the problem is that even after that the victim is the one who is getting kicked by DVLA with fines etc... I will call DVLA if they can offer a solution to this issue.

Edited by snailrider

The DVLA will have a record of when the old tax disk was surrendered for a refund and by whom. Refunds can only be claimed by the current or previous RK as shown on the V5. As what appears in your windscreen is a true photocopy of the original disk, then this copy must also have been made by whoever surrended the disk before doing so. I would therefore refer this to the DVLA fraud division and maintain you are an innocent victim of this fraud.

• 1 month later...

call the enforcement office and try not to lose your rag...

point youve got in your favour are...

• you purchased the car in good faith
  • once you respond (in writing) to the enforcement office they can order a micro film of who applied for the refund on the tax disc. once they see it wasnt you it would be unlikely that they would pursue the case.

when your on the phone to them state that as a registered keeper you, of course, checked it had a tax disc before driving your purchase away, but it being a copy of a disc it fooled you, i mean, it did didnt it?

offer to pay the back duty. They can make you pay it as its a volentary process, but it makes your case stronger for a closure.

in terms of what happens next, you could (worst case senario) end up with a penalty for it being seen on the road without tax for every day of every month it was un-lic and have to go through the same process with every enforcement office that sends you a penalty.

best case, you were just spotted the once and with a fairly painless phone call and the price of a stamp, all will be well again.

i wouldnt try to contact the dealer who sold you the car, might be a hornets nest if there happy to sell a car with fake tax on.

if you havent got a v5c logbook yet, get one by competing a V62 (download at the dvla website), then youre all legal and should get reminders from then on.

chin up