Information on Account Closure

NedKelly63
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All,

I contacted the Banking Code Standards Board to find out under what circumstances a bank could close your account.

My question was prompted after seeing that some banks do this after they've been threatened with or had court action taken against them to reclaim charges.

This action doesn't seem very fair to me, afterall, it's the bank that's behaved illegally.

Surprisingly enough, a bank doesn't have to give a reason for closing an account!!

Page two referenced by the link below covers the situation for account closures after a charges reclaim.

The reply from the BCSB is shown below.

Regards,

Ned

Dear Mr Kelly

Thank you for your email. Clause 7.5 of the Banking Code provides that in normal circumstances a bank will not close your account without giving you at least 30 days’ notice. There is no requirement that reasons are given for closing an account.

The subject of account closure following a successful claim for refund of charges was referred to in a recent bulletin we issued to subscribers to the Banking Code and I attach below a link to that for your information:

http://www.bankingcode.org.uk/bulletins/Bulletin%2021%2027%20Jul%2006%20PDF%20FINAL.pdf

Regards,

Mrs Hilary Putt

Helpdesk Manager

NatWest Advantage Premier Account

01-09-2006 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

04-09-2006 - NW respond asking for fee

09-09-2006 - New S.A.R and fee sent

23-09-2006 - Statements received

IF YOU FOUND MY COMMENTS HELPFUL OR USEFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES. THANK YOU :)