• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Eviction Notice Issued today

jackovski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, Hope someone can help please. I have a mortgage with Capstone now Acenden. I had a suspended pocession granted back in Feb 2010 and have been maintaining the payments agreed. In May I was made bankrupt (another story) and as a result for that month my bank account was frozen. I contacted Capstone to let them know that I would be unable to make a payment until the OR released my money. Eventually this was done and I continued making the required payments. Capstone have been charging me £115 p/m litigation fee so my arrears don't seem to be going down. In August I was diagnosed with COPD and now in November I have had to reduce my work hours. I was going to go to the court to get my payments reduced but this notice arrived today. The house title actually belongs to the trustee of my bankruptcy and I need to conterclaim on N244 but need some advice on what to put/write.

Thanks

Hi there, what date is on the eviction notice? how much were you paying towards the arrears under the suspended possession order and how much can you afford to pay now?

I think you will have to get in touch with the title trustee/OR as they will need to know about this (I think).

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

OK, let me know what the OR says. Also - Do you have a statement showing the charges bheing added to the arrears? How much are they claiming the arrears are?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I dont have an up to date statement as Capstone are no more and it's all been transferred to acenden. They are claiming the arrears are 7342.60, but that is more than it was at the pocession hearing because of their charges.

I am sure that as beneficial and legal title pass to the O.R then the O.R would have placed a bancrupcy restriction with the land registry to protect against third party intrest,i cannot see how they can go for possession of the property when the property is not Ascendens it is in fact the O.R,s at the moment,unless the O.R has not been informed.

Absolutely. And knowing Crapstone I can believe they have not told anyone. The OR did not sell the property due to the fact that there is no equity in it. They offered to sell back the beneficial interest to me for which I applied and am waiting for the information. The trustee's are the area people who look after all the OR's properties. I would suspect that the trustee would not allow them to sell it anyway as they have the interest. I have rang the OR to inform them and they have given me the number of the trustee who I will contact tomorrow. They advised that I contact my mortgage company to explain this. I called the people on the eviction notice but the team who deal with it have gone for the day so the person there said she would get them to call me tomorrow.

Do I just hang fire?

Ring the trustee tomorrow and then ring Capstone again - the chances of Capstone ringing you back are nil.

OK, catch up with you tomorrow:-)

Hi all

Ell-enn is a STAR in all this sort of stuff --thanks a million -- but I do believe there is case law around to say that any charges cannot be added to the ARREARS although adding to the outstanding amount of the mortgage is another matter which IS allowed.

So if you arrears are say 3,000 GBP --and they want to charge you 300 GBP "Late fees" -- the "late fees" cannot be added to the arrears amount and if the arrears are paid or a suitable arrangement is in place then repossession will stop.

Remember FEES CANNOT be added to the arrears but only to the outstanding principal.

Cheers

jimbo

Ok Ell-enn I have contacted the Trustee and they have said there is nothing they can do to stop the eviction as that is the right of the mortgage company. I have rung the mortgage company and they wanted to go through an income/expenditure with them on the phone. I said I was'nt in a position to do that at the moment. The guy on the phone also told me it was in their terms and conditions that they could add the fees to the arrears. I guess my only next choice is to counter claim and see if I can get it stopped. :(

Just because it is in their terms and conditions it doesn't make them fair and you chan challenge the fairness of those charges.

Don't do an I & E form with them over the phone - they will try to bully you into making the payments they want. I have affixed the one we normally use in these cases and you can sent it to them with a covering letter outlining your proposal for payment. We can then affix a copy of this to your N244 to show the judge you have tried to come to an arrangement. I can let you have a draft letter to go with the I & E if you need me to.

You now need to enter an N244 at court to have the eviction suspended on more affordable payments. I can help you with this if you need me to. If you hand the form into court next week you should get a hearing first week in January.

I am at work at the moment, but will check in later tonight to get some more info from you for the N244.

Ell

Budget Sheet.xls

Hi, sorry for the delay - I've been a bit busy over the last couple of days. I just need some info from you before I can finish the letter you need to send to Capstone and also the statement to go with the N244.

Is the mortgage in joint names?

Are there any children living in the property?

Do you have any documentary proof of your COPD?

How much do you think the true arrears are? i.e. without the charges added in

Ell, I know your busy so no probs...Mortgage is is my sole name with the beneficial title registered with the OR.

I live alone.

Only repeat presciptions for the drugs and a letter from my Occy Health department to my manager explaining it is covered by the DDA

As I dont have upto date statements I estimate them to actually be nearer half of that if not slightly less.

Thnx

OK, letter affixed to send to Capstone, you will need to affix the budget sheet. Make sure you take a photocopy of it all for yourself and send by special delivery. Check on the royalmail website a few days after posting to print off the signature receipt - staple it to your copy of the letter and we will include that in your N244 defence.

I will post up the statement for the N244 and the instructions for completing shortly.

Jackovski letter.doc

Affixed is the N244 form and below are the instructions for completing it.

1. Your name

2. Tick Defendant

3. Suspension of eviction

4. No

5. Tick at a hearing

6. 15 minutes

Agreed by all parties: No

7. Write - Not applicable

8. District

9. Both Parties

10. Tick box for attached witness statement

Cross out all options except The Applicant Believes

1. Sign and cross out all options except Applicant
  2. Sign and cross out all options except Applicant. Enter your address and contact details.

Also affixed is the statement for Q.10 of the form. You need to put the info where there are XXX's at the top (you will get this from the eviction notice). When you print out the statement make sure your printer is set for A4 paper (not Letter size), so it all stays on one page.

Take a photocopy of the letter from your OH department re your COPD and on the top left hand corner write the Claim Number then on the top right hand corner write Appendix 1. Do the same on the budget sheet except it will be Appendix 2.

Assemble as follows:

N244 form, signed,

Statement, signed

Letter - Appendix 1

Budget Sheet - Appendix 2

This forms your pack to take to court - staple securely together. You will need to take a photocopy of it all for yourself so you have a pack to refer to in court.

When you hand it in to the court you will need to pay a fee of £35.00 (cash) and they should be able to tell you when the hearing will be which I imagine will be after the New Year.

Any questions, just shout.

n244_0400.pdf

Jackovski N244 statement.doc

Thnx for this Ell, just a thought about the statement..The initial cause was due to breakup of marriage and financial problems, when the initial order was made in Feb I was maintaining the agreement. Then in May I missed a payment due to the Bankruptcy and my assetts being frozen. I informed them of this fact. Then at end of June I carried on with the normal payments. November this year was when I reduced my hours so my November payment was for the contractural payment plus an additional £23 towards the arrears. I was then going to go to the court and ask them to reduce the amount that I pay towards the arrears. Then obviously before I could do that they issued the eviction notice. Should I also mention these facts in the statement?

Hi there, I have amended the statement - does it look ok ?

Jackovski N244 statement.doc

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ell, hope you had a nice Christmas. I have been given a date for court hearing 5th Jan 2011. Apparently there won't be anyone on hand to give me advice so guess I'll be on my own. Quick couple of questions if you don't mind..:-)

The claimant is stated as Preferred Mortgages. Now they were the original people who gave me the mortgage, but as far as I was aware they reassigned it to Redstone. They then turned into Capstone, who are now Acenden:roll: I have never actually had any communications from Preferred it all came through these other companies? When I spoke to their solicitors, TLT LLP they said I should speak to my mortgage company, but I don't actually call preferred I call Acenden. Yes, I have actually no idea who has the right to start action. Surely if I'm dealing with Acenden then they should be the claimant? If it's preferred surely I should have all communication from them..do I stand anywhere with this?

Also do I need to do or take anything else to the court with me?

Thanks