Help please with a faulty laptop

CHRISJVC1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I need some help regarding a laptop bought from argos 10 days ago. It has a blurry screen horizontally at the bottom and sometimes the fan makes a very strange noise. Over the last 2 days dealing with local shop and customer services we have been passed from pillar to post, called liars, and told we have no choice but to send it for repair as when they tested it in the shop they couldnt find fault.

I dont want a laptop that has been repaired and would of been happy with an exchange or refund. I need the laptop for work but looks like I will have to go without.

Argos say their hands are tied. Im not sure what to do now. I havent agreed to a repair yet but am getting sick of being called a liar.

Any advice please??

Chris

Make sure the letter goes off tomorrow, later we can complain to the MD about the runaround you've been given. Also in the letter write

CC. Trading Standards, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx, add the address of your local trading standards office.

Aside from the obligatory S.14 of Sale of Goods Act 1979 (satisfactory quality etc), S.48A says that faults found within the first 6 months were there from day 1. There is a reverse burden of proof also which means Argos will need to show evidence that it is not faulty. If they say you can forget a refund or replacement and only have a repair after 10 days then S.6 of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 might be helpful.

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

Just checked OPSI website and as far as I can see, the SOGA 1979 and UCTA 1977 applies in Scotland. Check out the website but beware that some parts might not apply in Scotland. Check with your local citizens advice office.

They have to comply with the sale of goods act which means repair or replacement or refund. This is law and argos know this. I looked at the consumer direct link posted above by rebel11 and it says that providing you notify the store in a reasonable amount of time (usually within 30 days) and have not personalised the computer by uploading or downloading your stuff then you are entitled to a refund or replacement but they can arrange a repair for you. Please check with your local citizens advice about what parts of SOGA and UCTA apply in Scotland and also try asking that guy on here who is an Argos manager. I think his username is Blitz. He has started a sticky post in the Argos section about the advice he can offer.

Remember though that if you have not done anything to the computer as I said above then you should be able to insist on a refund or replacement as per the consumer direct website. Check out their website and talk to trading standards if they are not complying with the law.

• 1 month later...

do u have email address that u send ur complaint too? i need to try that ! faulty laptop bits fallin off and fell apart down one side, charger stopped workin after a few months blabla.. its nearly a year old but i reported the faults a few months ago. they send it for repair but said i had to pay because it had been dropped so they wudnt cover the repair. ahhhhhh so mad.. never been dropped. but still refusin to help me unless i PAY another company to chek the it... ! so mad , it was a present as well ! :evil:

:oops:customer is alwaze rite...... :p:confused: