Neily vs Virgin (MBNA)

neilvw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

DPA request sent 29/8/06. Another biggie this one. I reckon up to a grand in charges over the years.

NEIL'S CLAIMS... Halifax - N1 being submitted 26/2 (£3055) Barclays - offered £540 - N1 due now (£1686) MBNA - SETTLED FOR £1,412.86 Barclaycard #1 - microfiche - complaint to Info Comm'r upheld, info now in - claim to be merged wth B'card #2 in LBA, due now (£800-ish) Halifax Visa - SETTLED FOR £1,067.43 Mint - refunded £427, pursuing remaining £179 contractual Marbles - SETTLED FOR £346

Mum vs Barclays - SETTLED FOR £1,200

Mum vs Abbey - court date 23/2 - SETTLED FOR £1,720.76 at last minute

Mum vs HSBC - SETTLED FOR £1,733

5% donation to site when our refunds are received... Read the FAQs First!

Hi Neily,

go for it. I have just got back from them £1310 pounds on one account and £540 on another, including interest. They will give in. Expect a £100 pound "godwill payment" first, offered in the letter with your charges information. Thats what they did with, whilst always protesting they have done nothing wrong of courase !!!

Cheers KFDH, that gives me heart

Neily

x

NEIL'S CLAIMS... Halifax - N1 being submitted 26/2 (£3055) Barclays - offered £540 - N1 due now (£1686) MBNA - SETTLED FOR £1,412.86 Barclaycard #1 - microfiche - complaint to Info Comm'r upheld, info now in - claim to be merged wth B'card #2 in LBA, due now (£800-ish) Halifax Visa - SETTLED FOR £1,067.43 Mint - refunded £427, pursuing remaining £179 contractual Marbles - SETTLED FOR £346

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since my last update, so here we go:

Today I received a letter from a Steve Bailey, the confusingly titled "Director of Customer Advocate Office", giving me a lecture on how naughty customers deserve everything they get (I'm paraphrasing here) but then surprisingly announcing that he's credited my account with £410. This is, remember, before I've even claimed anything! Not bad going, so maybe MBNA are realising they're not doing themselves any favours by dragging things out.

However, according to the list of charges Steve appends to his letter, I'm actually owed £814, twice what he's repaid. And, what's this? The list of charges is all I've been given by MBNA - no copy statements here. So I can't work out the interest Steve & Co have slapped on those charges over the years. This won't do.

To add insult to injury, Steve says: "Should this information not be sufficient, and you wish to make a full data subject access request under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, please complete and return the attached form. Please ensure you include the fee of £10"

Errmm...I DID ask for a full data subject access request under section 7 of the Data Protection Act, and I DID enclose a cheque for £10, which they returned with today's letter! These people beggar belief. Methinks they're snowed under with claims, and haven't got time to do more than skim through incoming letters.

Oh well, I've written a slightly sarcastic letter back reminding them what I asked for, accepting the offer in part-payment only, and enclosing the well-travelled cheque, plus reply form, proof of ID (why do they need ID now?), and inside-leg measurement just in case. I also pointed out that their 40 days run out on 9th October. Let's see what happens next.

Hi Neilly,

MBNA did exactly the same with be on both the my MBNA cc and my Alliance & leicester card (alsq MBNA). keep at them. In the end they refunded to my account all the charges and the interest, £1310 on MBNA and £540 on the alliance and leicester. Whilst always maintaining that they are right and we are all extremely badly behaved etc..and this is all a gesture of goodwill!!!!

In both cases they paid up at the LBA stage

go get em!!!

Cheers kfdh

Don't worry, I haven't felt awake all day today! And I want to stay up till past midnight (when I get paid), so I can put in two moneyclaims for Mum (she's a bit hard up at the mo, so I'm lending her the court fees against Barclays & Abbey).

I will keep at it, however long it takes.

Thanks for the support

Neily

Yeah, I had exactly the same letter, "..bla bla.........if you want a full DPA please send a cheque, etc" yet in the envelope they returned to me was the £10 cheque I originally sent them along with a copy of my driving licence!

I did speak to one of the MBNA staff today and she seemed helpful - will call tomorrow once I've run the charges through the spreadsheets attached from the Library section.

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

• 4 weeks later...

hi Bathgatebuyer

They do seem to be quite formulaic in their responses.

Hiya KFDH

Just found your MBNA thread - thanks for the tips. I was starting to try and calculate the interest myself on the spreadsheet but it's too hard as (uniquely) they don't bother to put statement balances on the sheets of transactions they've sent me. Your tactic of letting them estimate the interest paid off, so that's what I'll try. Maybe that bloke will ring me up and make me an offer I can't refuse!

Prelim going this weekend!

Neily x

Oh, and I should have mentioned, MBNA were quite apologetic about messing up my Data Protection Act request: a nice lady rang me up to check that I'd received my statements a couple of days after they arrived.

And they returned my £10 cheque! Only Halifax and Halifax Visa charged me for statements, out of 7 accounts.

An update: last night I read through some of the posts on contractual interest, and after some thought I've decided to go for it, on all my accounts. In my case it makes a staggering difference: around £2,000 more than what I would get if I took them all to court and got 8%. I could pay off both my overdrafts and all my credit cards, and have a nice lump sum left over. Worth the extra hassle, methinks!

MBNA is the only company I haven't yet sent a Prelim, because they were tardy in sending me my statements, and because the statements were set out in a way which made it difficult to calculate interest (no balances). Out of curiosity (as I wasn't thinking of claiming contractual) I've done the calculations using Vamp's excellent compounded contractual-interest spreadsheet. My Prelim to them will definitely use contractual. My six other claims are at LBA stage with no mention of contractual.

PS: I will post this to "Why is no-one claiming contractual" as well to see if I really do need to send out fresh Prelims for the other claims, or if a revised LBA is enough.

Hi CrispDust

Thanks for your input; you're certainly not alone in thinking that a revised LBA is sufficient notice for the banks.

However, after taking advice and reading around, the majority view seems to be that sending a revised Prelim is the way to go, for safety's sake if anything. It only adds a couple of weeks to the process and would make me look more reasonable should it ever get to court.

Neily

Neily

If or rather should i say when you speak with MBNA dont forget to include everything you want to settle, as much as it is useful that they will calcualte the interest you have paid, or at least they had been, dont forget to add the contractual interest on top.

Plus of course charges for postage, letters, SAr fee and anything else you can think is reasonable.

I did, check out the link in my signature if you want further info.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Cheers for that Glenn, I will take a look.

• 3 months later...

Time for an update after several months ;)

After the quick refund of £410 on 27 September, MBNA repaid another £416 on 24 November. However, they still owe me for a few charges they've applied recently, plus bank interest they added to charges which is another £200. Adding contractual interest (24.95% AER) on top brings the outstanding amount to £669.26.

I sent an LBA explaining this on 13/1 and they wrote back with a holding letter on 22/1, saying they would reply by next Monday, 12/2.

I am going to wait till then, as I have so many bigger claims to deal with at the moment, plus an exam in a couple of weeks. Let's see if they offer anything.

Time for an update after several months ;)

After the quick refund of £410 on 27 September, MBNA repaid another £416 on 24 November. However, they still owe me for a few charges they've applied recently, plus bank interest on charges of over £200. Adding contractual interest (24.95% AER) on top brings the outstanding amount to £669.26.

I sent an LBA explaining this on 13/1 and they wrote back with a holding letter on 22/1, saying they would reply by next Monday, 12/2.

I am going to wait till then, as I have so many bigger claims to deal with at the moment, plus an exam in a couple of weeks. Let's see if they offer anything.

Hi there, you go for it, you know they are going to cough in the end. It is great that this will really improve your financial situation. Keep us posted with an update, we all love a good MBNA punch-up!

Good luck:)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Cheers, will do! :D

Cheers, will do! :D

Excellent. Who's the bird in your avatar in the red and black? She looks scary!

PS : Please don't tell me it's your Mum/Sister/Girlfriend.:eek:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

LMAO -- it's Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager, my fave TV show. It would be cool to have her as my mum! She rocks!

Neily

LMAO -- it's Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager, my fave TV show. It would be cool to have her as my mum! She rocks!

Neily

Captain Janeway! She looks STERN!! LOL!!!:grin:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Yeah I guess she's had some bank charges too ;)

Neily

Yeah I guess she's had some bank charges too ;)

Neily

LOL! There's no way she's going to have to issue an LBA! Would you mess with that??!!!!:D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.