• Tweets

• Yes. I'd be very interested to know how the defendant fared in putting forward the defence that the calaimant had been contributorily negligent by not keeping their cat under control. I'm aware that some people might find that fatuous, distracting or confusing, but the reality is that I'm not aware of any law that imposes a duty upon cat owners to keep their pets under control.  Whereas I believe the law does hold dog owners responsible for their dogs in public places. I'm not certain it was at all beneficial to the OP to suggest that blaming the claimant was a credible defence...
    • Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cohens and CCJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

She applied for set aside, had to send more forms back to court about her benefits, waiting for them to respond.

In the meantime - CL start to play silly games:

prebailiff2.jpg

Pre-Bailiff? Phone number is Boston Lincolnshire, and relates to a transport company when Googled.

Why confuse the issue further with a Northern Ireland address?

Should also mention, came in a brown envelope, second class stamp - no visit at all!

Love the 'brick wall' pattern - sums up the feeling we have about them!

Just to let you know, this is a firm of bailiffs. They can (and will) try and collect whilst any application for set-aside/appeal is going on.

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Ida asked me to pop in ..

Ok, re the hearing, just because you tick 'without a hearing' does not mean it will be 'without a hearing.

The Court clearly decided that it was '*with* a hearing' as they charged £75 which is the with hearing fee (£40 without)

The person should have been sent a notice of hearing and alarm bells should have started to ring on receipt of Cohens bundle.....

As to what to do now ...

It is difficult now, I think perhaps a visit to a local solicitor or the CAB for help as IMHO she is out of her depth even applying for a set-aside and is going to need lots of help when it comes to defending the claim.

Is the Judgement payable forthwith? Is it for over £600?

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

What was in the Witness Statement for the set-aside - can you post it up?

Hi Hillards

Having read this, unfortunately you were the one who ticked the box "without a hearing" the court have done nothing wrong, merely confirming when you asked what you requested within your N244, the application to be heard without a hearing.

Cohens would have been sent a copy of your application by the court, and knowing you would not be attending took advantage by appearing themselves on the day, I'm interested that the court state upon hearing "council" for the claimant - I would be asking the court what exactly "council" stated.

It appears "councils" costs were awarded against you on the day, so I take this meaning the original application fee was waived, if the payments are to high I would submit N245 to have the payments reduced together with another EX160.

I still beleive you have a case to have the judgement set aside, what did you state within the application as reasons to have the claim set aside?

Cohens would have been sent a copy of your application by the court, and knowing you would not be attending took advantage by appearing themselves on the day, I'm interested that the court state upon hearing "council" for the claimant - I would be asking the court what exactly "council" stated.

Sorry I disagree, the COURT decided it needed a hearing hence the £75 fee. Both sides should have been sent a 'Notice of Hearing'

You will not get to see what Counsel said, but they would not have said much, probably commented on the lack of appearance by the applicant which, unless the applicant's WS was a killer the application would have been summarily dismissed.

Costs were quite 'conservative' that is a standard attendance fee (which would be totally expected) as opposed to punitive costs.

N244 is a general Application notice.

Q3. What order are you asking the court to make and why?

Q4. Have you attached a draft of the order you are applying for? Y/N

Q5. How do you want to have this application dealt with?

Tick...

At a Hearing?

Without a hearing?

At a telephone hearing?

Q6. How long do you think the hearing will last? Hrs Mins

Is this time estimate agreed by all parties? Y/N

Q7. Give details of any fixed trial date or period

Q8. What level of Judge does your hearing need?

Q9. Who should be served with this application?........................Howard Cohen & Solicitor

Q10. What information will you be relying on, in support of your application?

Tick....

The attached witness statement

The statement of case

The evidence set out below

Fees are set, £75 with a hearing £40 without a hearing, however, hearings for setting aside on judgement are a set fee - £75.

Upon receipt by the court form N244a is then issued to all parties, Notice of Hearing of Application "The hearing of the defendant's application for Setting Judgement Aside will take place at 11:30 am on the 27th October 2008 at the County Court, Address, Post Code"

Day of the hearing..............

Win or lose, The court issues General Form of Judgement or Order, To the Defendant " Before District Judge Another sitting at the County Court.

Upon reading the claimants letter and hearing the defendant in person.

It is ordered that;

Judgement is set aside.

Statement attached to notice of application do stand as the Defendants defence.

Dated 27 October 2008.

The above is a genuine case I assisted in.

When the claimant issues a summons and this is defended, the Judge then has to allocate the case to a suitable track, the court has no influence towards an application hearing when a defendant submits their Application Notice, the defendant specifies what they require for the application to be heard.

It is the defendants choice if they wish to have their application heard at a hearing, or without a hearing, the N244 questionaire is quite specific, unfortunately hillards made a genuine mistake, I'm sure had hillards known, he would have asked for the application to be heard at a hearing, where he could then have attended and acted as the Lady's lay representative, I would also think the court where the application was heard was not to far from Cleckheaton (cohens terriorty).

The court staff I believe were right in what they said, they believed there was no need to attend, the application was requested without a hearing by the defendant, miscommunication, not malice, cohens are to blame, they attended without notifying the defendant. Legal yes, ethical no.

hillards can appeal, the appeal would then be heard by a higher level judge, the appeal has to be made within 14 days of the application hearing and I'm not sure if time is on their side, to say they were way out of their depth was unkind and demoralising.

The above is a genuine case I assisted in. Not too sure of its relevance here but anyway ....

When the claimant issues a summons and this is defended, the Judge then has to allocate the case to a suitable track, the court has no influence towards an application hearing when a defendant submits their Application Notice, the defendant specifies what they require for the application to be heard. Errrr not true, and you are confusing Claimant& Defendant, with Applicant and Respondent

It is the defendants choice if they wish to have their application heard at a hearing, or without a hearing, the N244 questionaire is quite specific, again not true unfortunately hillards made a genuine mistake, I'm sure had hillards known, he would have asked for the application to be heard at a hearing, where he could then have attended and acted as the Lady's lay representative, I would also think the court where the application was heard was not to far from Cleckheaton (cohens terriorty). The application should have been heard at the Defendant's(Applicant's) local Court as they are a LiP and the other side carry on business in that area. If it wasn't then that in itself would be a reason to have it set-aside

The court staff I believe were right in what they said, they believed there was no need to attend, the application was requested without a hearing by the defendant, miscommunication, not malice, cohens are to blame, they attended without notifying the defendant. Legal yes, ethical no.

The Court issued a notice of Hearing, it was up to the parties to attend

hillards can appeal, the appeal would then be heard by a higher level judge, the appeal has to be made within 14 days of the application hearing and I'm not sure if time is on their side, to say they were way out of their depth was unkind and demoralising.

I am sorry if you consider my comments unkind and demoralising - unfortunately we are dealing with reality here. We are also not dealing with the person concerned, but an advisor to that person.

To suggest an appeal, without knowing the defence to the original claim is, imho, irresponsible. An appeal could open the defendant to costs of £000s. As no new evidence can be used at appeal and AFAIK no evidence has been put forward by the defendant I cannot see how this will work.

The notes from the N244 that was filled in includes this paragraph

Question 5

Most applications will require a hearing and you

will be expected to attend. The court will allocate a

hearing date and time for the application. Please

indicate in a covering letter any dates that you are

unavailable within the next six weeks.

The court will only deal with the application ‘without a

hearing’ in the following circumstances.

• Where all the parties agree to the terms of the

order being asked for;

• Where all the parties agree that the court should

deal with the application without a hearing, or

• Where the court does not consider that a hearing

would be appropriate.

My emphasis although you will note that the Court decides when an Application will be dealt with without a hearing as opposed to the Applicant

IMHO the defendant arguing that they did not read the notes, and did not understand the need to attend the hearing will be difficult.

Your best bet, again jmho, would be to seek legal advice via a local solicitor, most offer a free 30mins.

If they now have, used the time to produce a solid defence to the claim then you are more likely to get it heard.

If it can be shown that the claim is flawed then that is your best bet, it will require evidence from the claim on the PPI. If the PPI doesn't cover the claim then you may well have a claim against the creditor for missold PPI.

Again, this is very messy - I would seek the advice of a solicitor urgently

• Haha 1

The relevance is that I submitted a N244 on behalf of a family member, application was heard at the Norwich Combined County Court 27 October 2008, the judgement was set aside, I also helped a fellow cagger this year with a set aside, its on the forum for all to read, cohens had again obtained judgement without his knowledge, he also won.

N244 Q2. Are you a Claimant? Defendant? Solicitor? Other? how is that confusing Claimant & Defendant with Applicant and Respondent? As you first complete the form stating you are the Defendant then sign the form as (I believe)(the applicant believes) that the facts stated in this section (and any continuation sheets) are true.

You are making an Application to have the Judgement Set Aside being the Defendant in the case.

N244 questions are very specific, when a defendant seeks a General Judgement or Order via Application N244 how many are required to attend a court hearing say, for disclosure? court forms a designed to cover all eventualities.

I think your confusing issues when I said I would think the court is not to far from Cleckheaton, the reason I said this is because cohen doesn't normally travel that far:

"the application should have been heard at the defendants (Applicant's) local court as they are Lip and the other side carry on business in that area, if it wasn't then that in itself would be a reason to have it set aside" I don't understand what you mean by that, as it is abundtly clear the hearing was heard at the defendants local court, re hillards phone calls to the court.

"The court issued a notice of hearing, it was up to the parties to attend"

IMHO that just sums up your attitude, why even post comments when everything you offer is so negative, hillards is just an adviser? unfortunately we are dealing in reality? - you say an appeal could cost what? this is the small claims court - solicitors are not cheap.

No defence - well I think the defence is the lady never recieved the original summons, a Default Notice or Notice of Assignment from the OC, or letter of Impending Action from cohen, therefore, she was never given a chance to submit a defence, hillards is trying to help, seeking advice from the forum, the lady in question is in severe financial difficulties hillards should be supported

I'll leave this thread, serves no purpose petty nit picking - good luck hillards, I'm sure someone will offer sound advice

I am not going to join in a slanging match, consumeredge, but I agree with most of what gh has stated.

1. When you submit a N244 you are the applicant, the other side is the respondent, no matter what the description of each in the original claim/hearing. IMO the court will overlook misnaming & it may be nit-picking but gh is correct

2. In your experience, Cohens may not travel far from home but that does not prevent them sending 'their representative' from a local company of solicitors wherever in the country that may be

3. gh is correct in his statement that appeals can be expensive if you lose & that goes for CC level aswell as COA level as the loser has to bear the other side's costs which may be that of a barrister, not just Joe Bloggs solicitor from down the road

4. I think gh has been very supportative of Hillards (as have other CAGers) but Hillards has sought advice on behalf of someone else & he has not posted any docs (as far as I can see) which makes it extremely difficult to assess the case.

eg. gh is correct in that a Notice of Hearing should have been sent. I suspect it was as otherwise the 'lady' & Hillard wouldn't have known a date - hence my comments above re. attending court when a date is set.

We are all aware that relaying a story from someone else can be a bit like chinese whispers even if no-one intends it to be so. Therefore gh was right to be cautious in the advice he proffered.

You were obviously fortunate in the outcome of the case for your relative, consumeredge, & I am pleased you are proud of your result. However you must recogonise that not all cases are the same or text book & gh is just trying to play devil's advocate with an unusual situation for the poster's benefit.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Fortunate in the outcome for the case of my relative? interesting comment, My son-in-laws case was identical to bino's, that is why I offered to help Bino, I saw another case recently posted, again identical, judgement awarded against whilst making regular payment via Payplan Limited, true not all cases are the same, although having dealt with 5 cases previously and with 2 still ongoing; from Norfolf to Reading to Bristol and Manchester, Howard Cohen use the same POC's, be it GE Money, Santander, MBNA, CL Finance Ltd or whoever, a tried and tested formula - I take no pleasure or am proud of any result, no one enjoys a court appearance

you should read your own offering "It clearly says on your form that the case would be heard without a hearing & you double checked by phone so that is what you were relying on & you should have been able to trust that the information you were given was correct. I would tell him I was giving him the opportunity to rectify the matter before I exposed him to the mercies of my local MP & the press.

Devils Advocate.... hillmeads been a cagger since 2006.

But your absolutely right in one thing, I've no wish to enter a slanging match.

Goodbye

If do hope the lady in questions is going to seek proper legal advice over this.

However is she doesn't yes, the bailiffs look as though they have already been involved.

If she is not going to get advice about how to deal with the CCJ against her, the best she can now do is limit its effect.

She will need to apply for a stay of execution and apply for a redetermination.

Stay of Execution is a stay of the enforcement, i.e. no bailiffs or collectors or anything like that, redetermination will give her an opportunity to put her side as to why she cannot afford to pay it all at once, and hopefully agree an affordable repayment.

Hopefully the case is still at County Court level, although if it is for over £650 then the Claimant can transfer it to the High Court for enforcement instruct the High Court Enforcement Officers to attend without notice and they are not so nice. If that happens or she sees words like 'Fi Fa' in correspondence then yell.

Hi guys,

I have also had my own dealings with CL & Howard Cohen. I successfully got them to discontinue legal proceedings against me, that was almost 2 years ago. What I am seeing now, are similar cases, which I help where I can, but the DCA's are obviously reading these threads, and changing the way they respond. So, although cases are similar, we can nolonger predict how they react to any defence.

Worse then that, and even more unpredictable are the way the court system seems to work in favour of the claimant, and disregards the rights of the plaintiff/consumer.

Perhaps the problem is not the advice being given, but unforeseen complications.

Perhaps the problem is not the advice being given, but unforeseen complications.

I agree Debbsy. Not only are consumers wising up to the tricks of the DCAs & the pitfalls of the court processes but the DCAs are becoming more aware too & the DJs seem to be taking a tougher line on the burden of proof. Unfortunately a lot of them seem to think it's up to the Defendant to prove the Claimant has no case & not the other way round. :roll:

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously the importance of the hearing notification was not seen, taking it that the application to set aside would be heard at that point and the whole merry go round would be put into reverse to the point where the lady would be able to have her day in court.

A letter has been sent to the court manager to point out that she was advised that she need not attend by virtue of the box being marked 'without hearing', and see if they can do something about that.

If not, she will need to make representation to the court to have the matter brought back for redetermination as she simply cannot afford the amount entered in the original judgement. Advice of the court manager has been requested as to what she should do.

In the meantime, Cohen have been very quick to send her a letter demanding payment or they will instruct the court....

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

I do hope she has applied for a Stay of Execution as per my post #37

I do hope she has applied for a Stay of Execution as per my post #37

That is mentioned in the letter to the court manager, asking him if that is the correct course of action. May as well ask him what's best to do, he should know.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

....asking him if that is the correct course of action. May as well ask him what's best to do, he should know.

Think you'll be lucky - court staff will not express opinions on your intended legal actions.

Think you'll be lucky - court staff will not express opinions on your intended legal actions.

took the words right out of my mouth ......

IMHO and I will say it again - her best bet is to go and see a local solicitor using their free 30 mins appointment offers that a lot of them do

or go to the CAB - they could actually be a very choice in these circumstances

Of course, that depends on how well you know staff at the court. As it happens, someone I have known for several years works at our local court and has been very helpful in guiding me in the course of action needed. I didn't know he worked in that area until I dropped the letter in this afternoon... Sort of glad I didn't post it now, only reason I called in was because the letterbox is quite close to the court and I would actually go past to post a letter. Saved a stamp, a day, and got some answers.

So, she has a new N244 to complete, which will request a set aside plus a stay of execution. The set aside will say that we were unaware of the procedure and had earlier been advised that there was no need to attend. This will be on top of stating the facts relating to the lack of original communication regarding the court hearing she knew nothing about until it had happened.

Yes, we'll keep a copy of the N244 this time so I can post the exact wording up. Unless there are any suggestions of choice words to use before she does that? She also has an EX160 to apply for fee remission as she's on a qualifying benefit.

I'm also asking her to chase up the OC (again) on her claim for payment protection, which she applied for when she was out of work, and was the main cause of all this. Until they failed to deal with that, she had been paying regularly.

As it happens, someone I have known for several years works at our local court and has been very helpful in guiding me in the course of action needed

Well you were lucky today then!