Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • And to add to my site team colleague' s advice above, if you phoned the vet, they may well say that it is out of their hands now and with a debt collection agency. Insist that it is with them and if they maintain their position then it is probably worth writing to them to confirm that you asked them for details and that they refused. It's a good idea to develop a paper trail – especially where they are acting unreasonably and refusing basic information such as an account. You could also serve them with an SAR which will compel them to provide you all the information you want
    • A utility company is certainly a service provider and they are generally treated as such by courts, regulators et cetera.   Please don't be vague about any details that you give us if you want help. Were the advice we give here is free of charge – and it is generally speaking excellent advice and we help thousands of people, you should treat it as if you are paying £300 an hour for it and that means your best to help us so that we can help you solve your problems quickly and efficiently
    • regardless to whomever have been involved and what happened ... police, court, bloke that collects the trolleys in the carpark   ..you TOTALLY ignore the likes of DWF and RLP no matter what   dx  
    • pers i'd certainly not be paying a powerless DCA anything EVER. esp when they dont OWN the debt, which in this and most cases they don't and most certainly NOT over the phone or use the phone to a DCA ever, no matter the reason. they lie and threaten all kinds of illegal things on a phonecall that they'll never put in a letter which is why it is sO important to record their calls, then you can raise a complaint against them.   cut the DCA of totally ring up the VETS and set up an affordable repayment schedule with THEM directly but 1st ask for a balance i bet that doesn't match the sums paid to the DCA.   dx  
    • Thanks for responses.   The post thats been deleted was posted before the post requesting bullet points. I was deliberately vague on the type of debt it was. However a utility company is not a service provider   The answer provided in respect of the income form is great.   The only question i have now is if its reasonable to request  breakdown of how the debt has been calculated and any contract hey may have been in place.   Thanks again 
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Blue Badge application help

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3684 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Can anyone advise me about getting a blue badge?

I had a heart attack earlier in the year followed by a triple bypass operation in March.

I have been getting chest pains for the last five or six weeks and get breathless whilst walking or climbing stairs etc.

I can't claim any benefits because I was self employed and got behind on my stamps. Will I be eligable for a blue badge. Any advice welcome.Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apply to your local authority, they have to assess you on your disability, not on whether you get benefits or not. Check your council's website, there'll be a link to where to apply.


Have you tried applying for DLA? AFAIK, it doesn't depend on NI contributions.

Link to post
Share on other sites



i have moved your query to a thread of its own


ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites

A discretionary Blue Badge from your local council should be straightforward. Ensure you mention it to your GP as his / her support is important. The only criteria (iirc) is an inability to walk further than 100yds without discomfort...

Best wishes


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your doctors support is the key, you get the forms which is straightforward from the Council and you have to submit thru your doctor who will pass the forms on and if he supports you get one, to be safe the limit is now 50 yards, hope this helps

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ring your local Council up they will supply you with a Blue Badge form. You will need your doctor to fill a part of it in and also a passport photograph. If you get turned down there isn't an appeal process but you could add more information to the initial application.


Regarding benefits, you should ring your local Welfare Rights or CAB up for a thorough benefit check. You could apply for DLA - there's 2 parts to it - the care component and the mobility component. You need to get it filled in by someone who knows what they are doing as it's a very long form and you need to put everything down (some people down play their problems). Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Dla and benifits, a liitle known fact is that anybody being put off applying for care allowance because of not being paid because of age should still apply because it confirms entitlement and although not being paid the entitlemant alone increases the allowance by £50 and gives extra benefit in council tax etc and savings credit payments, This was pointed out to me a couple of years ago by my Lacal CAB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Carers Allowance - If you meet the requirements for CA, but cannot get it because you because you receive another overlapping benefit it still might be worth making a claim. The DWP will accept that you have an ‘underlying entitlement’ to it so you might get a carer premium of as part of your Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Regarding Dla and benifits, a liitle known fact is that anybody being put off applying for care allowance because of not being paid because of age should still apply because it confirms entitlement and although not being paid the entitlemant alone increases the allowance by £50 and gives extra benefit in council tax etc and savings credit payments, This was pointed out to me a couple of years ago by my Lacal CAB.


Hi, Are you saying that you can still claim for DLA even though you are over 65?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bjj............ I agree with all the above. What I would add is that you should not be discouraged from being turned down. You should re submit the application and get you GP to ensure he writes the facts needed to obtain the badge.


Re the DLA in certain circumstances with serious condition there is a special procedure. Your health condition sounds mega serious and without wanting to alarm you the special circumstances may be revelant. Your treating consultant may be able to write a letter confirming this.


If you cannot walk very far there is always the local wheelchair service. You can normally self refer or perhaps your GP could also assist. If a wheelchair is necessary for you to get about then the local council normally reduce the council tax by one band.


Also if your house needs adaptation or you need aids and appliances the local authority is legally obliged to asses you. This is a process in which the social services will come round and speak to you and assess whether you come within the category of being registered disabled. That opens doors to problems which they should then try and solve for you eg a stair lift or adaptations to your house. (Although the current financial situation is bound to impact on what they will pay for). Each case is different but it is worth doing for whatever assistance you get eg in London Boroughs a free travel pass can be given to you.


Hope it all goes well for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites


If I remember correctly I was over 65 when claimed, although you cannot get any money from claim they notify you of entitlement, this entitlement then increases your allowances by £50 and allows possibly pension savings credit or increase and also any other benefits like council rates that are based on income and allowances, pretty sure it applies to over 65s but need to double check..

Edited by Cherryj
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...