Recourse on deposit a year later?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I lived in a flat from May 2009 to April 2010. We had a lease which we both signed and my £1000 deposit was put into the DPS.

When I came to check out the landlord did not have the inventory on him and has not able to produce it since. However he is claiming a lot of damages. Over £500 but he says he will settle on £500 to just close off the issue. I believe with no proof of inventory, he cannot claim any work- correct?

Also he believes that I am responsible for mould growing in the apartment. He says this because mould never appeared before however I was not negligent- I always aired the apartment and used bathroom fans although there was no instruction to do so. Without the inventory can he claim the mould regardless?

Edited by Blueskies2010
Posted the same one twice- sorry!

Hi,

Without a check-in inventory, the burden of proof lies with him, i.e. he would need to prove to a court that the mould was not there when you moved in. If you took care to avoid the problem - which it sounds like you have - it will probably be chalked up to wear and tear.

fix (vb.):

1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view;

2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem.

Usage: "Vista fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows XP".