Housing Benefit

Ktker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hope someone can help with this problem. I am on JSA and have a child on DLA. I got offered and accepted a council house (was on the waiting list for 14mths and desperate). The last tenant left the house in a squalid condition - if fact its disgusting. The grim is unbelievable, there are holes/cracks in the walls and ceilings. But the main problem is/was that I did not have any money to buy furniture/paints/carpets etc (bare walls and floors). I applied for a community care grant but the social fund advised that they had a six week backlog! this meant that I could not move into the house. I council were informed by JCP that I had not moved into the house and they stopped my HB. I called the council and advised them of the situation - they said they would only accept a delay into the house under certain circumstances i.e. the over 60s, those on DLA, child on DLA. I pointed out that I did have a child on DLA and they asked me to put everything in writing to them, which I did. Got a letter today from the council saying I owed them £111 arrears and they are sending a housing officer round to discuss the matter with me. I also had a maintenance inspection this morning from the council who said my house was in such a mess that work would need to be done in it i.e. plastering/new front door/skirting. I told the officer that I need to move into the house ASAP and he advised that I didn't until the work was done as the plastering will be a 'messy business'. So now my house move has been delayed further and I am worried that I will need to find the rent for this as they are not giving me HB.

The rent being paid is stipulation of the tenancy agreement. Your ability to pay the rent is not of concern to them, so I am afraid that they will press you for the arrears.

However if the house is not in a livable condition there may be something you can do about this in regard to the payment of rent. In some circumstances you can withhold rent but this is a complex legal issue. I suggest contacting Shelter for advice on this.

You may also be able to get a discretionary housing payment from the council to cover the rent given the circumstances.

In regard to the Community Care Grant, this is extremely difficult to get, and if awarded, there are many items that they will not pay for as they do not consider them necessery to a given situation so I would not depend too heavily on getting a grant to cover everything you need. If the grant does not get awarded,or if it is awarded but you feel that they have not awarded it in proper consideration of the circumstances, there is a right to request a review, then a right to request an independent review after this if you remain dissatisfied with the decision.

There are other ways to get items too. Some local areas operate a charitible scheme such as "homestart" although the name can vary from area to area. These schemes offer starter packs to new tenants in certain circumstances, and consist of small items to get a tenant started.

You can also ask the council for decoration payment; some local authorities offer this scheme where they will pay for the decoration of rooms. It used to be vouchers but I think now, you have to buy the paint/wallpaper and provide the receipt for reimbursement. It is a limited amount per room.

There is also freecycle, sometimes known as Freegal. It is internet based. There is a group operating in most areas. It is a site designed to stop products going to landfill, where people advertise the goods they no longer want with one catch: no payment changes hands. All the goods given away are free. You can also place a "wanted" ad on there. People give away allsorts on there. Of course there is often a lot of tat but I find it is also frequented by people with more money than sense who, when they decide they want a change of scene they'll just buy new furniture and put their used (or barely used) furniture on freecycle. A mate of mine got a pair of leather sofas on freecycle, practically new!

As your child is on DLA you may also be eligible for the family fund.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I received a community care grant this week of £1700 which pays for everything I need but still can't move in due to the repairs the council need to carry out - but still have to pay rent even when on JSA (rent is £56pw) I simply can't afford it when I am not even able to move into house. With regards to decorating grant, yes I received this - a whole £20!!