Student TAFE debt from Australia, now back in England

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all CAGers,

I am a British citizen (not Australian), went to study for a year in Australia, but dropped out and ended up owing around A$5500 in fees to an Australian TAFE institute (Tertiary and Further Education) - like a college would be in England.

Anyway I left Australia without paying that debt, am now back in England, and the college just sent me an e-mail 'intent to report' to DIAC (which is the Australian Immigration Department). I earlier gave my college a fake home address, but I do believe they have my home phone number in the UK.

Is there any point in me paying them this since I am back in England and do not intend to return to study there? Can they chase me for this here in the UK? Will this make problems for me later on if I want to go apply for a tourist visa? Is it possible for them to increase this debt by charging me like 100% APR??

I would be really grateful if someone with some knowledge about this could tackle these questions for me.

Thank you,

Aquila

I would imagine it's a scare tactic as it's a civil debt not criminal, no doubt an Oz member will be able to comment later.

As for chasing the debt in the UK they could if they've got your contact details, as for taking enforcement that's a different matter particularly if it isn't economically viable for them to do so. £3325 isn't major league really.

Hi Aquila,

My understanding of TAFE funding is that if you have unpaid fees, they won't let you start another course unless they're paid in full.

Since you're an overseas student, I'd guess that they have to let DIAC know if you have an outstanding debt just in case you try to re-enrol for another course in Oz.

DIAC have no interest in recovering this debt as it has nothing to do with them and I would think that it only ever affect your return to Aus if you try to get a student, rather than a tourist, visa.

It may also be a case that since you've dropped out of the course you are obviously no longer a student and thus your student visa has become invalid...but since you're no longer in the country this is irrelevant

Thanks all, I think I will just ignore the threatening e-mail, the Australian government is rinsing the international students enough, charging A$6,000 per semester per person, they don't need my money as well. I will stay at least one ocean away :)