• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Have i got a case with the Woolwich? **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My name is k. I have just registered today.

My partner and i have a joint current account with the Woolwich which we opened summer 2005. We asked for an overdraft facility a short while ago as our bills are sometimes debited before funds have cleared. We were refused as i have a low credit score. (My partner has a high credit score.)

My partner also has an open plan current account with Woolwich and a large overdraft with it. He has had his own account with them for years.

To date we have been charged £390 in unpaid direct debit charges!

Can i claim any of this back and if so how?

Please can someone advise me as i am new to all this.

Thanks.

K. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. Please do as we ask all newcomers - read the FAQs and around the forum.. This will take some time, but you will find all the answers you need.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

• 2 weeks later...

In short yes. Anything that constitutes a charge is claimable (is that a word)

I collected £360 in one month when my employer failed to pay me and folded his company. That figure then grew to £820 with daily/monthly interest, unauthorised overdraft fees etc. There was nothing I could do, from the moment my boss landed me in the poo there was no way I could afford to put in any cash into that account until I got back on my feet.

I got the whole lot back, got the negative credit info off my file and kept my account

Woolwich - £821 refunded on dispute 2004

Cap One - MCOL filed 25/7/06 £521.95

I sent my letter from the bank templates section on 28th March.

I received my first letter from the Woolwich on 30th March. They apolagised to hear of my problems and say my case has been referred to a case manager and my complaint will be resolved by 28th April 2006. They also enclosed some leaflets on their customer care. What a joke!

On 11th April i received my second letter from the Woolwich assuring me they are giving my matter full attention and are continuing to investigate my concerns. They also state i can contact them by phone if i want to but will be in touch shortly.

Now what happens? Sorry just want to make sure i am clued up 100%. :)

K

Do not let them dictate the speed , you stick to whatever deadline you gave them.If they have not replied by the date you gave then go on to the next step.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

thanks for your reply mjanet. :)

I gave them 14 days to reply to my 1st letter which they did. I then said if i hadn't heard anything positive after another 14 days i will then cease communication and take action.

So far this is going as planned. If i havent heard anything by 28th April i will proceed further.

What should i do if they offer me a third or half of what i want back? Do i accept or carry on until i get the full amount?

K x

If you read around the forum you will see that people are being offered a % of there claim and refusing it only to be next offered the full amount .You must be fully aware that when starting a claim it may go into court and you should be prepared.I personally would refuse a part payment on my own money unlawfully taken and hold out for the full amount.

If you read around and see how others have got on in this situation it will give you a beter indication on what to do

Any decisions you make must be your own ,users of this forum are here to support you in your decisions.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

thanks mjanet, :)

Just looking for guidance and have read a few forums since last post.

Thanks for all your advice and i will keep you informed of any updates. :)

K x

• 2 weeks later...

Got my third letter from the Woolwich today. They are offering me £210 of the £400 i am claiming for.

I am happy they have taken my opinions seriously however i want all of my £400 back!

I am going to accept this offer in writing but state i am going to take matters further to recover the remainding £190!

Any thoughts kindly appreciated.

K x

I have read all the forums and faqs however i am seeking some advice as i havent found an answer to my question.

In my 3rd letter from the Woolwich they quote, in regards to the refund offer of £210 "i am sure you will appreciate that i will not be able to repeat this gesture should a simular situation occur in the future".

Does this mean if i accept this offer they will not pay the remainding £190 should i pursue the rest through the courts?

Please can anyone help?

K x

What should i do now? I was going to accept the refund and take action to recover the other £190. If they arent going to pay though i could end up getting nothing.

Should i write a letter declining the offer stating the reason that i want the full amount and that i am going to take action?

Please can someone help and advise me?

Thanks

K x :-?

What should i do now? I was going to accept the refund and take action to recover the other £190. If they arent going to pay though i could end up getting nothing.

Should i write a letter declining the offer stating the reason that i want the full amount and that i am going to take action?

Please can someone help and advise me?

Thanks

K x :-?

Just a simple letter declining their offer as totally unacceptable. They know the reasons.

Reduce the time to Seven Days or you will commence a claim in the Small Claims Court without further notice.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Thanks dw190 for the advice. :)

I have just finished drawing up my letter and it will be in the 1st class post tomoorow.

Will keep my post updated as and when i hear anything.

Thanks again,

K x

• 1 month later...

Successfully filed claim 12th May.

Got a letter today from the court stating the Woolwich are acknowledging my claim. They have 28 days to file a defence.

Fingers crossed they don't as i am a bit nervous. But i will get what i am owed!

K x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Had a letter from barclays head office offering a further £150 on top of the £210 which they say they have already paid and haven't as full and final settlement. This means they are trying to fob me off by paying me a total of £360 when i am claiming £440!

I have left an answer phone message for the man who wrote this letter to contact me. It states i should ring him if i wish to discuss the letter or if i feel there are further issues he needs to consider. Too right the cheapskate!

Wil keep you informed.

K x

Hi all again,

Had a phone call back from barclays this afternoon re: the messsage i left for them to call me. Received their letter 7th June 2006.

I pointed out that there is a discrepancy in the letter. Barclays stated i had already been paid £210 as a goodwill gesture and were willing to offer a further £150. This would bring the total they would offer me to £360! The amount i am claiming back is £440 inc court costs.

Mr Barclays said that this would be their final offer and would not go any higher. I said this was not acceptable and look forward to seeing their defence in court along with media attention.

I then thanked Mr Barclays for returning my call and signed off.

Anyone any thoughts?

K x

This is my first thread, I am watching this with interest as I plan to spend the weekend reading the FAQs and following some posted cases before sending a first letter to the Woolwich. I was intrigued by the Bank's use of the term "Goodwill Gesture". Is this a typical response that simply does not acknowledge unreasonable charges or are there any lawful reasons for it's use that could trip us up????

Anyone come accross this as an issue?

hi,just keep to your timetable and not theirs....you will get all your money refunded as i did from the woolwich of over £1,000...they will go right to the wire as per the courts but will settle before it gets there...so do not worry and good luck...paul

Guest Mumofthreeboys
This is my first thread, I am watching this with interest as I plan to spend the weekend reading the FAQs and following some posted cases before sending a first letter to the Woolwich. I was intrigued by the Bank's use of the term "Goodwill Gesture". Is this a typical response that simply does not acknowledge unreasonable charges or are there any lawful reasons for it's use that could trip us up????

Anyone come accross this as an issue?

Well done you for taking the weekend to read around and read the FAQ's before you start - it'll probably take that long to get your head around it and then all will become clear!!

Answer to your question - the former!!

Thanks slimliz30 for your support. I know what you are saying is how it is. When its your own case though it seems quite daunting but i will win because the Woolwich are in the wrong not me.

And i will get all of my £440 back!

Will keep you all updated.

K x

Hi all,

Got a neighbour who has had lots of bank charges with a bank he is with.

He has closed the account in question but still banks with the same bank.

Can he still claim back his bank charges even though he has closed the account?

Please could someone advise? I have read the FAQ'S but could not see this question.

The more people i can help the better.

Many thanks.

K x

Got a neighbour who has had lots of bank charges with a bank he is with.

He has closed the account in question but still banks with the same bank.

Can he still claim back his bank charges even though he has closed the account?

Please could someone advise? I have read the FAQ'S but could not see this question.

From the FAQs:

Q. I was charged on an account that I have closed XX years/months ago, can I still claim for my money back?

A. Yes, regardless of if the account is open or closed, you can go back 6 years.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi all,

I received notice from the court today that the Woolwich have filed a defence!

I have read through the questionnaire but am a little confused what i should write and tick in certain sections.

Can anyone help or advise please?

K x

Nearly there? I hope so...............

Some of the questions are straight forward - which sections are you unsure of?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks