• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I thought I had cancelled my Orange contract?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The minimum term of 18th months expired on my Orange mobile phone contract in March. Since then I have discovered that Orange have continued invoicing me, even though the phone has not been used.

Frustratingly, in February I received several calls from "Orange" offering a new contract/upgrades etc. each time I informed them that I wanted the contract to end.

Speaking to Orange today, they say that they did not correspond with me in Feb; and that I should contact the carphone warehouse who I took the contract with as it was probably them who contacted me.

Carphone warehouse claim not to have contacted me, and as my phone came through their sister company mobiles.co.uk, I should speak to them.

Mobiles.co.uk have referred me back to Orange as the contract is with them and they also state they did not contact me.

Now either my information was sold to a third party who contacted me in February claiming to be Orange, or one of the parties involved is not telling the truth.

The only way I think I can find out is by requesting any information held and recorded calls to be provided to me under the data-protection act - however this is going to be long winded and still cost me money - does anybody else have any other helpful ideas???

refuse to pay

make them prove you gave perm to renew it.

dx

• Haha 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Did you follow Orange's own cancellation process? Contracts do not 'expire' at the end of 18 months, your minimum term has just ended. Unless you specifically request a cancellation, using the providers own cancellation process, they keep the contract going and will keep charging you.

If you didn't follow Orange's cancellation process (usually providers request a written request of cancellation) then you didn't actually cancel, and therefore they aren't in the wrong to keep charging.

Yes - If I did not receive the phone-calls from someone on behalf of Orange leading up to the event where I informed them that the contract would end, I would have not assumed that everything was OK and would have done something.

I think maybe the key is finding out who called me as I am sure that their calls are 'recorded for training purposes'

You would also think that telco's should write to you to inform you that the contract is going to expire and that you need to confirm yes or no. This is the same with many other services such as domain name and email registration companies.

The outstanding balance is £80 and it is a hard choice whether to pay them the money for a quick ending as it is not going to break the bank; or fight on principle.

Interesting information from OfCom A1.95 - It would likely be unfair where the supplier had not sent a clear an unambiguous reminder notice at reasonable time before the renewal term is to take effect: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/addcharges.pdf

Edited by coconuts
new information

Just to throw an extra spanner in the works, if you are very late in paying they flag it on your credit file, where it sits for 6 years making you pay more on any borrowings and making it harder to get any credit (even a mortgage!).

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Pay what you owe them to resolve the issue. As Locutus says, you're credit file will be fried otherwise.

As for being sent a reminder letter before any renewal term, i think that is a red herring in this scenario as no renewal has taken effect. If it had, you'd find yourself at at the start of a new 18 month minimum term.

You could issue a "Subject Access Request" under the DPA to all companies you think might have contacted you asking you to upgrade to try to find out which company actually did contact you (i think the cost is ten pound each to do this). This might give peace of mind, but essentially if it was not Orange themselves that contacted you, you are no closer to having your debt written off. And if you originally got the contract from mobiles.co.uk then chances are that you were called by them (or a sales associate/ subsiduary).

In conclusion, the likelyhood is that Orange were unaware that you wanted to disconnect your contract and have charged you accordingly and fairly, with the sensible route being to pay up and chalk it down to experience.

• Haha 1

Yes, some telecoms suppliers have taken to "automatically rolling over into a new minimum term" (including BT if you took their evening and weekend package for the price of the weekend package deal!!) and that is what your link is refering to.

If you pay, you could write a letter explaining that you had cancelled and request a refund, but IMO your credit file is worth more that Orange is demanding.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

All mobile networks revert you on to a monthly rolling arrangement once the initial contarct term has come to an end. Your airtime agreement should have stipulated how you would go about canceling the contract. It's usually a month's notice, either in writing or via a telephone call. No mobile contract simply ends after the initial contract duration - imagine how many disgruntled people there would be if that was the case!

All - thank you for the good information, I received another reminder from them today which riled me as I was owed a call back.

I have decided to try and go for a common sense 50/50 approach by letter as a first stage.

Orange2.rtf