Lost car keys (no spare!)

stjuninho
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bollox!

Lost my keys, including car keys, and never had a spare for this car. 4 days and not been handed in yet. Causing big probs getting to work, andrather strapped for cash at moment (+ bloody car is 20,000 miles past cam belt threshold!)

Now thinking car locksmith and dreading to think what this is gonna cost.

Anyone know likely price for new locks/keys? Clio 5 door, W Reg, Thatcham Cat 1 immob / alarm system (according to sticker on window). WIll get some quotes, but wondered about ballpark figure

Also, I presume there's no other route, like car insurance - I presume they are normally excluded.

Very grateful for any thoughts. Yes, I wish I'd got a copy made when I had the bloody chance!

St Juninho

I am guessing you dont have key cover as an extra on your car or home insurance ?

no idea on the cost of reprogramming bud, I would guess though could poss be a dealer job ? Im sure others will confirm or correct me

Last time I had to get a key replaced for an Astra it cost me £63 for the key and another £23 to get it "reprogrammed". I would imagine these type of keys on modern cars are all about the same cost. They will need your "key code" which will have been part of your information pack (along with your radio code) and from this they can order the matching key. The "coding" then has to be done on the car to pair it up to your alarm system.

If you don't have your key code, then they should be able to get this from the manufacturer based on your VIN number (for another fee again, usually about £25 I think)

There are locksmiths that should be able to get you into the car OK if that is where you think the key code is. Speak to your dealer, I am sure they have dealt with people being locked out of their cars before

Yes, I wish I'd got a copy made when I had the bloody chance!

St Juninho

btw, you can't get "copies" made of modern keys in the sense I guess you are thinking of. i.e. taking the existing key to the cobblers and get a copy cut on their lathe like we do for front door house keys.

The way we have described getting this key replaced is just the same whether you still had the original or not. (although if you'd done it then, you would only have had to nip home to get the spare) :)

Bear in mind it will depend on the car... BMWs dealers for example do not have access to the key thing, and replacement keys have to be sent for and made in Germany... with the associated cost you can imagine. :-(

• 1 month later...

i know how you feel i list my car keys for my vw pasat dealers wanted £160 so i managed to get a brand new one off ebay for a quarter of the price. lucky me hey they chap who sold me the key also sent me a link to his website so if you ever do lose your keys you can try him at less than half the price

Car Keys & Remotes

• 3 months later...

Try getting a key from the dealer and then getting a locksmith to program it.

Not sure if all cars are the same but I did this with my Vauxhall Astra and used a local auto locky to come out and program as i couldn't drive it to the dealer. These guys offer a lost car keys service to London. You might even be able to find a replacement fob from ebay to save more money