• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Beware, spent £480 on a laptop - in box was a £329 laptop

suzyalan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I recently purchased a laptop from PC world. It was an Acer AS5532 at £479.99. When we got home I discovered inside the box was an Acer laptop of a lower spec. A babysitter later and a 45 minute car ride back to the store I discovered on the shelf the identical laptop that was in my box FOR £329.99. It was I believe an Acer A5332, grey keyboard, no webcam were main aesthetic differences.

The "manager" Oliver of the Oldham store at first refused to see us, and refused eye contact. Then he did come out and was SO rude. Addressing my as "love". I said that I wondered how many innocent people had the cheap laptop by mistake and had paid £479.99. His answer "I dont care love".

My husband and I were furious. He offered £10 goodwill gesture if we swapped it and admitted that we had uncovered a flaw in the PC World system. We said £10 is an insult, I rather have a full refund.

I wrote to Keith Jones of dsg, and got a pathetic reply from one of his customer service minions.

Its a complete disgrace and I will never shop at PC World again. Beware people. Check what is in the box before you leave the store!!

If anyone could publicize this further I have all the documentation and sent letters by registered post.

Hi all, I recently purchased a laptop from PC world. It was an Acer AS5532 at £479.99. When we got home I discovered inside the box was an Acer laptop of a lower spec. A babysitter later and a 45 minute car ride back to the store I discovered on the shelf the identical laptop that was in my box FOR £329.99. It was I believe an Acer A5332, grey keyboard, no webcam were main aesthetic differences.

The "manager" Oliver of the Oldham store at first refused to see us, and refused eye contact. Then he did come out and was SO rude. Addressing my as "love". I said that I wondered how many innocent people had the cheap laptop by mistake and had paid £479.99. His answer "I dont care love".

My husband and I were furious. He offered £10 goodwill gesture if we swapped it and admitted that we had uncovered a flaw in the PC World system. We said £10 is an insult, I rather have a full refund.

I wrote to Keith Jones of dsg, and got a pathetic reply from one of his customer service minions.

Its a complete disgrace and I will never shop at PC World again. Beware people. Check what is in the box before you leave the store!!

If anyone could publicize this further I have all the documentation and sent letters by registered post.

I can't stress enough how much I despise topics like this. Yes, the manager was way in the wrong and had no reason to act like a child.

But did you ever consider that it may well have been a genuine mistake? Considering all laptop boxes are sealed with security tape at the factory, it would be impossible for PCWorld, or anyone outside of Acer for that matter to swap the laptops. I'm assuming that nobody is stupid enough to take a non-display item with a broken security seal.

As for the goodwill money, managers can't take as much in goodwill expenses from the tills as they could six months ago, now it's limited to £10 or less depending on the area. This restriction is put in place by software on the tills, so it's really not his call despite what a fool he was acting.

To be honest, if he was following the DSG handbook to the letter, you'd have got an exchange/refund and been told to put a complaint in writing to head-office for any expenses/goodwill.

Edited by Renzokuken

Renzokuken,

Lets remember here, we were highly inconvenienced. We accept it was a system error. A system error that we uncovered. We wanted to exchange quickly and leave the store. However the arrogant idiotic store manager had other ideas. He would rather ignore customers, then insult them, verbally and by his actions. The guy has no social skills whatsoever. The 6 or 7 members of staff who witnessed the discussion with baby Oliver, I am sure found this situation highly embarrassing. If the minion who replied to me (by way of a photocopied letter) had asked any member of staff who was working at the time they would have heard a different story. Andy on the customer service desk had more professionalism and people skills in his little finger than Oliver. Andy even apologised to us as we left the store.

I am extremely familiar with DSG as I used to supply about 35 pages of products to Business Direct.

I now run my own company and having to finish early to sort this mess out, and be insulted for doing so is disgusting.

I hope now, Renzokuken, you will see why I am so disgusted. I do not enjoy having my time wasted to sort out others' mess for nothing but insults.

Yes - IT WAS A MISTAKE - we uncovered the flaw of PC Worlds system.

My problem really was the way in which we were dealt with. We were there for about an hour with Customer Services, whilst they tried to locate another the correct model before we discovered the flaw.

My problem in the main is that my husband and I were highly inconvenienced, and despite the mistake we would have been happy to find a solution, However the manager was the only person who could call a decision on this. Due to the inconvenience, and the blanking from him previously, then been referred to as "love" in a derogatory tone and stating that "I DO NOT CARE, LOVE" when asked how many other people had been ripped off, and finally offering a tenner, I am disgusted.

His staff witnessed the scene and were embarrassed but professional and apologised on his behalf.

As I have stated I run my own company and should a client of mine have gone to so much trouble in such a patient manner then I would have been thankful, apologetic, and make sure that the client knew as a company we are concerned and will ensure that customers are traced and refunded.

I think you lot are missing my point. As a business woman I understand business and like to find a solution rather than insult customers.

Yes - IT WAS A MISTAKE - we uncovered the flaw of PC Worlds system.

My problem really was the way in which we were dealt with. We were there for about an hour with Customer Services, whilst they tried to locate another the correct model before we discovered the flaw.

My problem in the main is that my husband and I were highly inconvenienced, and despite the mistake we would have been happy to find a solution, However the manager was the only person who could call a decision on this. Due to the inconvenience, and the blanking from him previously, then been referred to as "love" in a derogatory tone and stating that "I DO NOT CARE, LOVE" when asked how many other people had been ripped off, and finally offering a tenner, I am disgusted.

His staff witnessed the scene and were embarrassed but professional and apologised on his behalf.

As I have stated I run my own company and should a client of mine have gone to so much trouble in such a patient manner then I would have been thankful, apologetic, and make sure that the client knew as a company we are concerned and will ensure that customers are traced and refunded.

I think you lot are missing my point. As a business woman I understand business and like to find a solution rather than insult customers.

Would you care to elaborate on this pcworld flaw you uncovered and keep crediting yourself for, because as far as I can see the only flaws here are either acer packaging the wrong laptop in the wrong box. Or you failing to check a security seal?

I'm not defending the manager or the way he spoke to you, and had my manager done the same thing I'd have had a word and told him I thaught his attitude wasn't appropriate. I strongly dislike it though, when people automaticaly blame the retailer for situations which are clearly out of their control. And coming on here in and asking us to help you "publicize" this has really only drawn attention to the fact that it's almost impossible for them to switch out laptops without your prior knowledge.

I jolly well will elaborate!

The laptop I asked for was an ACER AS5532 £479.99

The laptop box was labelled as an ACER 5532

The barcode (YES WHICH I NOTICED!! ) reverted the product on the PC World system back to a £329.99 5532

The laptop inside the box was a 5332 £329.99

I don't know about you, but I feel that it is their duty to now contact all customers who purchased the higher spec model at £479.99 but actually got the 5332 £329.99 lower spec model in the box.

That my friend is the flaw.

I do not keep crediting myself. I am stating a fact. Their mistake became my problem. Once this had been identified Andy and another chap who were helping immediately tried to get the manager involved. But he dismissed them and us.

We would have simply swapped this for a similar model (but we needed the built in video camera). However it was £30 or so more expensive. We were quite happy to simply put this down to a mistake, swap the machine and leave the store, with relations in good tact.

So my dear, we are not simply attacking the retailer - where our businesses have shopped for years - however when the manager who represents the store is so rude and nonchalant about others who may be in the same unfortunate situation, I become a disgruntled customer.

He also referred to my husband as "him, your boyfriend partner or whatever he is". Seemed like an uneducated person who had had a personality bypass :-)