M6 speed camera catches 5,500 drivers in five weeks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For the likes of a radar gun or mobile camera, does these not have to calibrated? If not calibrated correctly would this not give inaccurate readings?

Also to what Bernie_The_Bolt said. Our town has been slated by the local press due to the amount of road signs there are on the roads. One road that runs for around 50 meters has something stupid like 15 road signs on. Gathering the information from the signs and trying to watch what else is going on, your speed etc I honestly do think is a huge distraction. Especially if new to the area.

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the likes of a radar gun or mobile camera, does these not have to calibrated? If not calibrated correctly would this not give inaccurate readings?

Also to what Bernie_The_Bolt said. Our town has been slated by the local press due to the amount of road signs there are on the roads. One road that runs for around 50 meters has something stupid like 15 road signs on. Gathering the information from the signs and trying to watch what else is going on, your speed etc I honestly do think is a huge distraction. Especially if new to the area.

That sounds like a good reason to slow down!

Hhhhhmmmmm yeah and have somebody doing 20MPH in a 40. Good reasoning there.

Looks like we won't agree on anything. Well lets agree to disagree

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

Hhhhhmmmmm yeah and have somebody doing 20MPH in a 40. Good reasoning there.

Looks like we won't agree on anything. Well lets agree to disagree

Why drive at 20mph? You forget that if it's a 40 limit then it's a maximum, not minimum or a target. If 20 is an appropriate speed then yes do 20.

One thought would be that if driving above 50mph in these roadworks was dangerous, how come none of these 5,500 speeding drivers caused an accident?

But isn't this where the point gets missed?

It isn't that the speeding itself is dangerous it is that if there is an accident (which may be from an external cause eg blowout) the potential for damage and injury is so much greater at higher speeds.

This is even more so in roadworks with reduced protection, plant close to the roadway, people on the work space etc.

A car travelling at 70mph has about twice the energy to disperse than a car at 50mph. When you get this it is easier to understand why limits are lowered and why they should be followed.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Bernie the Bolt wrote

IMHO the only valid argument agains speed cameras is that they are a very blunt tool and have reduced the traffic police on the roads.

Inappropriate speed is only one of a range of dangerous issues and the absence of police patrols does nothing to reduce these.

This was the point I made at the beginning of the thread.

Being the victim in a collision (hit and run) where a speeding unregistered and therefore uninsured and untaxed car struck mine I would like to see a lot more more police on the roads. Although given the registration number, make and model the police could not be bothered to try and trace it as it required too many resources

Speed cameras (automatic tax collectors) are a waste of time and money (Swindon Council) and are not effective as once people know where they are they will just slow down for the requisite marked section of the road before speeding up again. Specs cameras are more effective over a distance although the speed some drivers were passing me on the M4 a few days ago makes me wonder if they were driving unregistered vehicles or have a magic coating on the number plates to stop them being read.

Edited by asmodeus