Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi can anyone please email or PM me scanned copies of all letters BPF have sent, inc the freeze confirmation letter please as my lawyer wants to see them asap but i have not recieved any.(obviously blockin ur name address out lol) please somebody help as hemay knw a way to help us he said.. would b greatly appreciated

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Cashins I'll send to both Advent and Barclays as Advent are still showing active on all their company names and makes me wonder have they really stopped trading or not

Chickyboy please post your suggestions here for to help everyone if you can

Dear All

A sorry tale you all have to convey regarding Advent Computer Training.

My daughter is in the same position, outstanding balance with Hitachi Capital and no where to go.

However, there is a different slant with this.

I have substancial evidence to support a claim that Advent miss-sold the product and services to my daughter.

QUESTION 1. Has anyone similar evidence similar to my claim and are you able to support you claim with evidence. Can anyone produce evidence of miss-selling by Advent? This evidence must be factual.

QUESTION 2. I would like to ascertain an exact date when Advent knew they would be going into liquidation.

Advice regarding finance companies:

record everything

log everything

do nothing by telephone

if you have the facility to record telephone conversations, when called and caught unawares, tell the other person that you are about to record the conversation and its not for training purposes (they usually don't like this warning and may hang up)

everthing in writing

post everything by recorded delivery

make a portfolio of evidence

If anyone would like to share their evidence, there may be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck

David Michael

hi can anyone please email or PM me scanned copies of all letters BPF have sent, inc the freeze confirmation letter please as my lawyer wants to see them asap but i have not recieved any.(obviously blockin ur name address out lol) please somebody help as hemay knw a way to help us he said.. would b greatly appreciated

Hi All. I’m an Access2Trades student, so in the same boat - really interesting to read everyones thoughts on the situation, and thanks everyone for the advice. I paid 5k+ for my plumbing course with a Barclays loan and am now having barely started my course im wondering where it’s going to go from here. A lot of talk of another provider being found to take over the course. I heard a rumour that Barclays were passing us to Train for trade skills which is part of ATL in Southampton. Realy hope that isn’t true, did a bit of research on them and doesn’t make happy reading. Sounds like we’re going from one disaster to another – they been featured on Watchdog (BBC - Watchdog: Computers and communication: October 2008 Archives - Blog) which says it all, and plenty of reports of problems on here and elsewhere:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/225825-train-4-trade-skills.html

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - Problem with Clydesdale Financial Services (now called Barclays Partner Finance)

Can anyone confirm this or have any more information? If we do get passed to them then the Barclays profit machine isn’t exactly doing the best for its customers! Nice to see them raking in the cash while we all suffer.

With regard to Advent mis-selling, this is a no brainer. Microsoft state that the MCSE should not be undertaken by anyone who doesn't have at least 18 months experience administering a network in a large company. The MCDST requires 6 months in desktop support. I can be argued that MCDST is an entry level certification and can be useful to obtain that first job but anything further is a waste of time without the relevant experience. Advent would know this so selling MCSE to people not already employed in the IT sector is definite mis selling.

With regard to Advent mis-selling, this is a no brainer. Microsoft state that the MCSE should not be undertaken by anyone who doesn't have at least 18 months experience administering a network in a large company. The MCDST requires 6 months in desktop support. I can be argued that MCDST is an entry level certification and can be useful to obtain that first job but anything further is a waste of time without the relevant experience. Advent would know this so selling MCSE to people not already employed in the IT sector is definite mis selling.

You are absolutely correct. My daughter could hardly send an email and they signed her up to Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, no pre-assessment. They even entered her credit details into a computer without asking her. She was naive and a gullable victim that was led to the slaughter. Her course should have been something like CLAIT1

You could look at this web site, some interesting history related to Advent and associates Advent IT Training [problem]: The Facts

If you find anything useful can you report back please

Regards David

hello chickyboy,

Ive sent letter to BPF to freeze my account which theyve confirmed. Also asked for proof of receipt that theyve paid advent the sum total of 5500 but heard nothing. its been over a month now and still non the wiser. Is there anything else i can do? (took 3y intrest free in oct09)

That's an interesting point Mick asking for proof they've paid Advent. I wondered that too. did they pay all at once or in instalments as the course progressed. There's a lot of questions surrounding this

That's an interesting point Mick asking for proof they've paid Advent. I wondered that too. did they pay all at once or in instalments as the course progressed. There's a lot of questions surrounding this

Not sure if you have picked this up, worth a look though

Advent IT Training [problem]: The Facts

Read the section at the end regarding £35M turnover in December 09

Regards

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/adventcomputer/

David Michael

Hi David I also feel that the whole Advent sales pitch was misleading and I wish I could find that, at least , over and above the Breach of contract there was grounds to get them with that and Barclay being jointly liable.

They took advantage of thousands of people of all ages and with me made out they had companies they could recruit you into and that, after studying for 3months:eek: if you worked hard enough could be considered for such a placement which is utter rubbish but before you sign up you take what they say on trust that they know better. an expensive lesson.

There's no-one in this mess stupid but that may be their downfall we should all fight for justice in this.

I signed the petition and have sent letters and contacted Watchdog I am now about to contact my MP. As I'm in Scotland I think I'll pop a letter to the Scottish Parliament they shouldn't get away with this.

Rant Over.

That was a good rant though!

I have gained substantial information regarding prior knowledge requirements/pre-assessments to prove that the course they signed my daughter up to was totally innapropriate. They were hell bent on signing her up to a course she was not capable of. She has lost all confidence.

The directors of Advent have a history connected with other businesses, I would not be surprised if evidence comes to light soon that may give cause to investigate their activities and for this accumulative information to be passed on to the Police. I am sure they would like their good names cleared. Worth looking at Advent IT Training [problem]: The Facts

Regards David M

Hi David I also feel that the whole Advent sales pitch was misleading and I wish I could find that, at least , over and above the Breach of contract there was grounds to get them with that and Barclay being jointly liable.

They took advantage of thousands of people of all ages and with me made out they had companies they could recruit you into and that, after studying for 3months:eek: if you worked hard enough could be considered for such a placement which is utter rubbish but before you sign up you take what they say on trust that they know better. an expensive lesson.

There's no-one in this mess stupid but that may be their downfall we should all fight for justice in this.

I signed the petition and have sent letters and contacted Watchdog I am now about to contact my MP. As I'm in Scotland I think I'll pop a letter to the Scottish Parliament they shouldn't get away with this.

Rant Over.

Have you seen this link? PKF -

David M

#I am/was on the MCSE & i can safely say i have never worked in the IT industry, i have only tinkered with computers for myself & friends & trust me it has always been a matter of Trial & Error, but when i was contacted by Advent originally(i didnt contact them), they told me about a couple courses but Paul Keene strongly persisted that i start of with the MCSE, & if im very honest i found the second book quite confusing. my point being, it seems i was miss sold

#I am/was on the MCSE & i can safely say i have never worked in the IT industry, i have only tinkered with computers for myself & friends & trust me it has always been a matter of Trial & Error, but when i was contacted by Advent originally(i didnt contact them), they told me about a couple courses but Paul Keene strongly persisted that i start of with the MCSE, & if im very honest i found the second book quite confusing. my point being, it seems i was miss sold

My daughter was pestered by phone calls, she asked if they would send details but refused saying that an 'informal chat' was required and she would have to call and visit them. Foolishly she was taken in. To her disbelief the advisor started to fill in a credit application without asking my daughter. Signed her up to a MCSE course. Poor kid feels foolish now, but she was taken by well versed and practised, pressured sales techniques. She did not stand a chance.

Hi Everyone, This is my first time replying to this forum. I am one of the hundreds of silent students thats reading the events of whats gone on.

I started Advent Training Sept 2008 to do the full MCSE with CISCO CCNA. I paid over £6000 in 12 monthly payments to Anglo Capital Ltd PO Box 4399 Hagley Stourbridge DY9 9WW. My last payment was Sept 2009. I did not receive any letter. I found out on the website. I am nowhere near completing the course. I like most cannot afford or justify finding that money to spend on a course again. I read in the London Evening Standard few weeks ago that the IT Sector is growing again. If thats the case why did Advent put themselves in a position that they had to pull out?

I signed the petition when it had 42 signatures, it now has over 600. I'm advising everyone who has not signed to please sign. I feel lot of students doing the course through Advent still don't know whats happened. I will be contacting one or two people I know who work in the media to see if they can expose whats going on.

All the training providers up and down the country are reading these forums. They also will be hoping for a positive outcome because it will effect them in terms of people trusting training providers in the future.

Everyone keep up the good work and keep the faith.

Sign the petition

Sign the petition

Sign the petition

Sign the petition

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks