Interview under caution-incorrect allegation of benefit fraud

Delta59
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just a letter stating the below...............

"WE HAVE ARRANGE THIS INTERVIEW BECAUSE THERE ARE GOUNDS FOR SUSPECTING THAT HAVE COMMITED A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IN TO A BENEFIT CLAIM BECAUSE OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT"

i am very shocked,because i haven' done any job paid or unpaid..

Edited by Delta59
to correct a statement

I've asked for your post to be moved to the Benefit Forum where you will get the necessary advice/ help you require.

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

I believe there is a thread on this forum containing a post that recommends attending the interview, but not making any comment on the grounds that legal representation is a right and a necessity in this situation, but none has yet been found (or something very similar). Sounds reasonable to me.

Delta, I would expect if you haven't done any work than this matter will be resolved quickly in your favour. By attending, at least, you get to find out what the problem is thought to be!

Good luck.

Rae.

Remember, under English law we are all innocent until proven guilty. YOU don't have to prove your innocence! Apply for legal aid and get a solicitor to represent you at this interview. Ask for more time if you can't arrange a solicitor in time for the interview date. Legal aid maybe free because you're unemployed.

]

• 1 month later...

"WE HAVE ARRANGE THIS INTERVIEW BECAUSE THERE ARE GOUNDS FOR SUSPECTING THAT HAVE COMMITED A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IN TO A BENEFIT CLAIM BECAUSE OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT"

To call you in for an IUC for working the DWP should have evidence from an employer showing periods of employment, earnings, hours worked etc.

Sometimes there can be a perfectly good explanation for this. The IUC is your opportunity to provide this explanation. If as you say you have not done any work then there may well have been some kind of mix up. Doing a “no comment” interview as someone suggested above will not help you at all in this situation, it will just make the investigator/s think you've got something to hide.

One other thought. It is quite easy to select the wrong offence on the IUC letter. Give the telephone number on the letter a call & double check what the interview is about. They won't be able to tell you much, but they will be able to confirm what the alleged offence is.

I would just like to let you know that most solicitors will give you advice and attend the IUC with you free of charge, as you have the same legal right to a solicitor as if you are arrested and at a police station. I know this because I have to attend an IUC this week and this is the information that my solicitor gave me. It is only if you have to go to court that any fees come into play and thats when you need to apply for legal aid if you think you may be entitled.

Good luck.

I got a letter saying the same thing as above.I was not worried because i knew i had not done any work at all.

When i attened the iuc it was nothing about me working i was getting accused of living with a partner.

Sometimes they are not upfront about the true reason they want to interview you.If you decide to attend the iuc beware they could interview for something else ie living with a partner.

You will not be able to defend yourself because they will have got all the information against you already and you will not be prepared to defend yourself against a allegation of say living with a partner.

It should say on the bottom of the letter somewhere that they you will not get legal aid to pay for a solicitor.

Some people seem to be able to get a solicitor to go with them.When i attended my iuc i could not get a solicitor to attend with my because when you are on income support you cannot afford one.

A solicitor cannot speak on your behalf anyway you must anwser the questions put to you yourself.If you are not sure weather you should anwser a question or not you can say NO COMMENT or you are free to leave the icu at anytime.

You can take on board the advice you are given on this forum but its up to you to decide which way is best for you to deal with this letter.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

" WE HAVE ARRANGE THIS INTERVIEW BECAUSE THERE ARE GOUNDS FOR SUSPECTING THAT HAVE COMMITED A CRIMINAL OFFENCE IN TO A BENEFIT CLAIM BECAUSE OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT"

I got a letter saying the same thing as above.I was not worried because i knew i had not done any work at all.

" When i attened the iuc it was nothing about me working i was getting accused of living with a partner.

Sometimes they are not upfront about the true reason they want to interview you.If you decide to attend the iuc beware they could interview for something else ie living with a partner.

You will not be able to defend yourself because they will have got all the information against you already and you will not be prepared to defend yourself against a allegation of say living with a partner." END quote

that's horrifying - I would make something of the DWP / LA being underhand - regain the moral high ground . Secondly make you sure you put a complaint in about this apparent underhandness .

Somebody has tried to be too clever by half there .

Also make a statement about this if under caution on the tape - call their bluff .

They will stone wall you , fob you off , use bluff and bluster but don't be deterred if he or she tries to wriggle out of it , keep pushing it up the DWP / LA Chain of Command . They'll also might be very shirty if you complain , take no notice .

Kindest thing you can say , is that there must be a lot of pressure , maybe a fear culture and bullying too .

Edited by Bustard
CLARITY