• Tweets

• so I need to return the questionaire   Do I go for the remediation fre eoption or straight to court?   is there a guide to filling this out or do i just go with what i think? (ie. judege, get all papers, make a decision)  
    • Thanks for replies people, I think i will hold tight for a bit.
    • Can I please have advice on how to deal with Forecourt Eye.  Received a letter claiming I drove off without paying for petrol three months ago...there is a picture of me at the pump and me clearly offering my card to pay - apparently I only paid for some snacks and then left. Its also for a very odd amount 23 - I did check my account and I was charged 1.50 for snacks. I obviously had every intention of paying and for some reason either the transaction didn't go through.    I am kind of fuming about this as I had no idea and if I did not pay I have no idea what the circumstances were , but not a 'drive off' as described by Forecourt Eye. I have no issue paying for the petrol if the payment for whatever reason did not go through. In fact we visited the garage on advice of a friend who has a legal background and offered to pay, the lady behind the till called the manager and we spoke to her on the phone where she robotically said its 'the way it is now and it goes to Forecourt Eye' I then said I am contractually obliged to pay you, not Forecourt Eye.  We are visiting the garage again when the manager is there and will offer to pay again.  Interestingly when we called in the lady behind the till asked if I had called the garage the day before about the matter- I said no that was not me, so somebody else clearly  has had the same issue, I can't see drive off's being that common in any petrol station! So I know I am not the only one.    I know calling Forecourt Eye is not advised, I visited a shell garage yesterday ( really not wanting to ) made sure I had chip and pin and made sure I knew exactly what was being entered into the machine. They now have their threatening posters all over the pumps, basically making them or the garage responsible for any mistake...
    • Today is the last chance for those aged between 20 and 25 to nab themselves a free four-year railcard by opening an account with Santander.View the full article
    • The address is only a paper address with no actual manned staff address. Police have rang me this morning and taken some more information including the details of the driver who they say they will contact and interview.  They are also putting in a formal request to Shiply to get the couriers driving license and biometric information held on file. IF anyone else has been in the same position with this particular courier, please please let me know and we can perhaps go down the strength in numbers route xx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

My PCs screwed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive got an old PC that I havent used for months (had no probs last time I used it its just a bit prehistoric). Got Loadsa stuff on there that I want to transfer to newer pc.

Turned it on, it gets to the windows logo then restarts. Did this about 10 times in a row. Dug up my old XP disk, went through booting from the cd and it spent ages scanning and checking files. Then suddenley restarted again. Now when I try and boot from the XP CD it gets as far as a blue screen with the words 'setup is resuming.' Then restarts again!

Is this fixable?

If the PC cant be saved is it possible as a layman to remove the hard drive and somehow connect it to my new PC to transfer files?

Thanks Caggers!

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Pretty easy to do. You need a "External Hard Drive Kit" then you can connect that to the USB on your new computer

VPA-35038-S.jpg

^^ that one is mine

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Is this fixable?

Just before you dash out and buy a External Kit, can you boot into Safe Mode?

Restart the PC, then keep pressing F8 until a black list of boot options comes up. I suggest the second one down, Safe Mode With Networking.

Please let us know if you can boot Windows in this mode.

If not, you should be able to simply pull the hard drive out of your old PC, and attach it as a second hard drive to the new (assuming they're both the same conenctor type). You can then pull the files out directly.

Or you could go down the route of getting an External Hard Drive kit, which will cost, but is by far the easier option.

But if you are opening your old pc to take the hard drive out, you will see how it is connected and be very easily reconnected to your new pc. You can leave it in permanently as a second drive if you want to install it properly.

Max cost nil as you can use the leads from the old pc.

Edited by Conniff

YEP..As Conniff said, just connect up the hard drive upto a new PC, easy and cheap (you can of course go buy an external drive if you want to fork out).

If you connect it to another PC, just have a browse through the drive to find your files, if its XP, they'll be in Documents and Settings/'your login name', if you didnt set up a specific login then look in All Users (I think thats correct).

It may of course still be possible to get your old hard drive to boot, try F8 and Safe Mode as suggested or failing that a XP disc will have a repair mode that will re-install Windows Xp but should keep your files and settings intact. Other options are to boot into some sort of DOS/Command prompt and try fixboot or fixmbr commands. Also try chdsk to fix any problems on the drive.

Andy

As me and Uncle Tez said, for simplicity an External Hard Drive Kit. Cost around a tenner and you can use that hard drive to backup your system and transfer files hastle free.

Also as Uncle Tez said, if you can get the old one working that would be a step in the right direction and would open up other avenues for saving your files. (blank cd/dvd, usb flash drive)

The adding the old hard drive to your new system will work with patience and persistance as long as there is a free IDE port.

If you like, remove the sides of both the old PC and new PC and take a photo and post the photo in this thread, and we'll tell ya how to go about doing that if thats the route you choose!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

No Joy with safe mode. I can get as far as the list of options but as soon as I press return on either safe mode or safe modewith networking it restarts again. Gonna try taking out the hard drive and sticking it in the newer pc (never done anything with hardware before though!)

Pics of dismantled PCs to follow! :D

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

No Joy with safe mode. I can get as far as the list of options but as soon as I press return on either safe mode or safe modewith networking it restarts again. Gonna try taking out the hard drive and sticking it in the newer pc (never done anything with hardware before though!)

Pics of dismantled PCs to follow! :D

Ok, something in the Windows bootup is screwed then, but that's alrgely academic since we'll be extracting files from this hard drive, so don't really care if it boots or not.

With regards to plugging it in, we need to first establish the supported cable types of your two PCs.

Hard drive cables come in one of two types; the older ATA cable, and the newer SATA cable.

The above links will take you to the Wiki articles on these cables. What you're looking to do is open up both PCs, find the cables coming out of the back of the hard drives, then trace them back to the motherboard.

If the cable is a large, flat ribbon which terminates in a broad slot, it's ATA. If the cable is thinner and ends with a neat little connector, it's SATA.

If both have the same cable and termination slots, you're in business. If they don't, make absolutely sure that you don't see any of the ATA slots on the new motherboard (many motherboards supported both types).

Please let us know which types your respective PCs have, and we'll go to the next step.

Lol my phone picked a good time to play up and not let me get pics from it onto my PC.

Finally got pics here:

PC Probs - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Managed to get the Hard drive out of the old PC easy enough - thats the 1st pic. However, there was another cable plugged into the HD (the one sticking up in pic 3). I followed this and it seems to connect to the power supply. It isnt gonna be disconnectable without taking apart the power supply.

The 2nd pic is the good PC. Seems that the cable with the HD that I have managed to disconnect is an ATA cable. Cant see a socket matching it on the good PCs motherboard though.

Would be really grateful for some expert opinion on the pics ive posted!

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

GoodPC.jpg

looks like the connector.

Does it have a CD/DVD rom connected to it?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks locutus.

Behind the hard drive is a floppy drive and cd drive which are connected.

Should I just plug the other hard drive into the slot youve labelled? Was a bit concerned about the cable in the 3rd pic which was also connected to the hard drive prevously. Is this needed in the comp above?

the cable that connects the CD.... anything else connected to that ribbon?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I dont think so.

Its the comp im using at the mo though so Im gonna need to take it apart again to be sure.

If there is only the CD Rom connected to that ribbon, unplug both cables from the CD Rom (Both the ribbon and the power) and plug them into your hard drive. NOTE: the cable must go in a particular way round! Stripe side of the ribbon to pin 1 (which should be next to the power plug) You will then be able to access your old files and copy them onto your new system. Then plug the CD Rom back in.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Ok it was only the cd that was connected to that ribbon. But what Ive unplugged from the CD wont fit into the hard drive.

Connections - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Pics 1 and 2 show 2 angles of what I unplugged from the CD (it looks like the power is connected to this also) and pic 3 the available connections on the HD.

Edited by haggis1984

Can you see the connector that I've circled?GoodPC.jpg

Does it have anything plugged into it? That looks very much like the connector you need for the ribbon. You also need a power for the hard drive aswell.... Failing that I'd suggest the External Hard Drive Kit (just do a google shopping search, or search amazon using the link on the left of CAG) I can't see it costing much over a tenner, you should search for a "3.5 inch IDE USB2"

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

The one that youve circled is the where the ribbon I photographed is connected to. So it was where the CD drive was connected.

Ive got the ribbon that the Hd was connected to the dead PC with and it wont fit in the that connector.

Im just gonna go for the kit you suggested. Thanks for all the help Locutus.

The link you pmd... does this just connect to the HD and then via USB to the PC?

Yup. thats the way :)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Umm...more probs!

Just go given footy manager 2010 for xmas and the CD drive isnt working. When I put the CD in the green light ont he front of the drive flashes, the drive makes a noise like its reading the disk and a cd icon appears by the mouse cursor for a couple of secs. Then nothing. I tried going through my comp and and double clickkin on drive but it just says 'please insert disk.'

Have I screwed it up when I disconnected it to try and plug in the hard drvie?

Aargh!!

Does "My Computer" show a CD drive at all?

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Its showing 2, which it always has (even though I only have one)

CD Drive (D) and DVD drive (E)

Ive gone into my comp/prop/devices and there's 2 showing there too. Both say they have no probs.

Just figured out that when I click 'eject this disk' on CD Drive (D) the cd ejects if that helps.

And Merry Xmas!

Edited by haggis1984

Just back from visiting the in-laws. Merry Christmas to you aswell.

Now, If you want a DVD drive, it's a case of taking it to bits and taking the old CD drive out, Buying a DVD drive / DVD writer with the same connector and swapping it over, OR buying an external DVD drive, although I have to say, a system without a DVD drive is probably a bit long in the tooth, you can get some good 2nd hand base units that may be more powerful than what you have.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Its actually good PC - processors over 2ghz.

Ill pick up an external dvd drive then - itll go nicely with my external hard drive :)