British Gas "mistake" Grrrrr

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Heres the issue:

Myself and my partner moved into our flat in late 2006 and got behind with the electricity bills in 2007 as I was out of work, we had a prepay meter installed and the debt transferred. We cleared the debt(or so we thought) in 2008. We received a letter from BG on 16th Nov 09 (dated 10th Nov 09) stating that they had "made a mistake" and had not transferred all the debt when the prepay was installed and we still owe the amount of £193 which would be transferred to the meter in the next few weeks. I checked the meter straight away to find it had already been put on and we had already paid £4 of it unknowingly. The letter also stated that we would be making “repayments at the rate of £10 per week as previously agreed”, this was agreed for the original debt (07-08) but no agreement had been made regarding the new apparant debt. I wrote asking for a full breakdown of account activity for the relevant period, we have been told that they cannot provide this and that we should of kept all receipts for payments via the prepay (which would tell us nothing about the origin of this new amount). They have now agreed to reduce the weekly debt payment to £5, which is something I suppose, they also sent a letter stating a few amounts but no statement as we had asked for, I also asked for the debt to be frozen, which they say they cannot do, until they can provide proof of the debt. Where do I go from here? I have opened a file with OFT(Consumer Direct) and the Energy Ombudsman, I am about to write a full formal complaint letter to the Head of Complaints at BG, should I or when do I involve Ofgem. I have attached a copy of my 1st letter to BG, to which they basically replied "sorry, this is how much you owe, we feel the action taken is appropriate"

British Gas Complaint Letter attach.rtf

Edited by Tanglo