Student Loans and Arrears. Advice please.

Chris157
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, really need some advice.

I took out Student Loans in 1993,1994,1995 and 1996. I Graduated in 1997. I was not earning the minimum amount for repayments until 2000, when I made repayments for approximately 10 months before being made redundant, where I then began to accrue arrears.

In 2002, I moved to London and gained employment, and then began to make repayments after Student Loans Company contacted me and began threatening me, at around this time, I began living a reckless lifestyle, drinking to excess etc, and despite always working, I ignored my debts. In 2005, I began making repayments again, but soon defaulted and then in late 2006, I was contacted by Debt Collectors, initially Smith, Lawson and Company and then another firm (whose name escapes me), they refused to accept monthly repayments from me, and demanded the full amount, threatening me with doorstep collection etc. This merely terrified me into accepting a promotion in another part of the country and basically avoiding them ever since by not going on the Electoral Role.

I have finally battled alcohol addiction, paid off a £6000 CCJ acquired in 2002 (which has now come off my credit file) and now want to start making repayments with Student Loans, so that I can go back onto the Electoral Role, rebuild my Credit History and get my life back on track.

I am terrified to contact them incase they demand the full amount again (which I can't afford in one go) or if the debt has been sold on to debt collectors etc and they start hassling and threatening me.

Why have they never issued a CCJ or default notice or applied for an attachment of earnings, esp since I have worked for a Government Dept for the past 7.5 years? I have used CreditExpert frequently, but they have never registered this debt.

I know it is my fault, but I want to get back on track.

Any advice please.

Moving to Students Forum.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....