Advice Please!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Newbie here after any advice going.

I bought a used car in August this year with a six month engine and gearbox warranty as stated on the invoice/reciept. On the test drive I noticed that the AIR BAG warning light was on. I agreed to have the car but forgot to mention the air bag problem until at home. I emailed him and informed him. I heard nothing back. When I went to pick the car up, he said that he had recieved the email and if i took the car back in a couple of weeks he would arrange to have it repaired. He assured me that the air bags were functioning but there was probably a faulty sensor somewhere. I agreed.

when I got back to him he was very defensive and kept trying to put me off, not replying to phone messages etc. I took the car to a main dealer to get the air bag problem diagnosed. It appears that the air bags do not function and to repair will cost approx £450.

The gear box/clutch started to make a funny noise, on diagnosis it appears that I may need a new gearbox, god knows how many £££'s? Aha I thought, warranty should cover this? I went to my "car file" only to find that I was given no warrany documentation at point of sale and I have recieved nothing since. I'm beginning to think that no warranty exists.

The original advert claims that the car comes with AIR BAGS. It didn't.

The invoice states there is a warranty. There isn't.

Do I have a case against the dealer?

Thanks for reading, any help greatly appreciated.

You say "The invoice states there is a warranty. There isn't." If the Invoice for vehicle sale says you have a 6 month warrenty on the defective parts then take it back. If you have no documentation to say you hae a valid warrenty you wont have an easy time proving it unless its custom and practice that the dealer always has provided this service.

It maybe they are just trying not to acknoledged the defects until after the warrenty period and I believe you would be best to send a registed letter to them stating the defects that need putting right so that they have no case for saying the defect occured after the warranty. Better still go in and get them to sign and date a copy of a letter you have shown to the service dept of whatever (dealer stamp maybe) If they wont do it I would spend a day or two informing all customers looking on the site about your situation

Thankyou.

I have taken advice from Trading Standards and sent there "standard first letter" for which I recied no response within 7 days ( as stated in my letter) TS have advised me to send another letter, a sort of reminder, giving him another 7 days to respond. I'm taking the car to a main dealer on Friday to find out exactly the extent of gearbox problems.

The reciept clearly states "6 months warranty." But I'm beginning to wonder.

How far can I take this? Small Claims Court maybe? Is anything ever achieved by going down this route?

Thanks again.

Maybe you could take it back armed with a camcorder and ask them to repair the fault under the warranty. If the refuse send them a letter giving them the last chance. THen get it repaired noting all incurred costs. I would include lost earnings for all the time you have been back and forth. Then try small claims as you have nothing to lose.