• Tweets

• How about posting the full email, rather than just the bits you want us to see??
    • Hi Folks,   Thank you for your help so far. Please find below the correspondence so far from various parties. If I've missed anything, please let me know. Again, apologies for not posting the correct stuff. I thought I'd lost it all, turns out it was on a rarely used pc Letter advising of change of address will be posted shortly, with proof of posting not tracked. Buncrana 1 Edited Notice To Keeper ECP.pdf 2 ECP Back of PCN.pdf 3 DRP Edited 25012021.docx 4 DRP Back of letter.docx 5 POPLA Appeal redacted.pdf 6 DCBL 30:04:24 Redacted.pdf ESSO Cobham Signage.pdf
    • Thanks just looked at SARequest It wouldn’t make ebay have to say why they suspended me. all their email said was that it was related to buying activity. But under that bike buying activity there are about five different reasons why it could’ve been. But they haven’t specified which of these five reasons it was.
    • Thank you Ethel, their letter was literally one line, with an added bonus of a typo..... "As you own the land that the property was damaged on we would not be able to dela with that aspect of the claim.", so I think it may be the initial fob off. I have replied just stating "This is not correct, the fence is owned by XYZ ltd, please clarify?", but will follow it up with a letter from the company. will let you know how I get on x
    • About a year ago i was summonsed to court for a speeding offence, long story short it wasn't me that was driving the vehicle, and i successfully proved that i had not received any paperwork (the reason it went to a summons) because there is a problem with our address, i live at number 7, yet when you look online to enter our address for anything you have 7, 5-7 and 7-9 on our street, one is my address and two are businesses.  The court ruled that there was an issue, and agreed i did not receive any paperwork (aside from me not being the driver)  i thought it odd that i never received anything in the post to say that, but they are the courts i assumed everything would be in order. Now just recently i have been using family members vehicles to get to work and have been insuring the vehicles on a temporary basis. Recently when using a comparison website i would get results and then when i went to make payment it would not let me advance, i had tried this on numerous sites and the same happened, i assumed that it would have been because i have used to many temporary insurances and it may have flagged for whatever reason. i went to check my license online, and i cant view it, it states below, i called the DVLA and they can not view any details either and have said they will need to raise a case internally to find out what has happened.  My wife and brother seem to think that the courts have screwed up not informed the DVLA of anything, hence i was banned. But surely it wouldn't have taken so long for me to stop being able to insure my vehicle on a temporary basis until just now?? Please can anyone assist as im worried sick now and ive done absolutely nothing wrong, i need my license for my job. .................... It has not been possible to display/match your driving licence. For further information regarding your driving licence details write to: Central Casework Group, Drivers Enquiries, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

At my wits end with the A&L - some advice please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to post this but if not, I apologise in advance!

I have a basic account with A&L and have worked out from previous statements that they owed me £442 in failed DD charges. I sent them a letter (before discovering this site) and they replied, agreeing to refund me - as a good will gesture, a payment of £34. They then proceeded to take this back out of the account a day later. I sent them the prelim letter out of the template gallery on the 3rd of August and I am still awaiting a response.

I am due to the next letter on Wednesday, and have this all ready and prepared. Looking at most of the cases people have posted on here, I realise that I am going to have to start court proceedings and that the likelihood is that A&L will probably close my account after I do so. Herein lies my problem. When I split up with my husband, about a year and a half ago, I found out that he had not been paying any of the bills and this left me in a total mess financially - most of them being in my name and having accrued CCJ's etc. I only found out the full extent after he had left and as a result, although payments are being made, my credit rating is shot to pieces.

I am a student and therefore have to have my own bank account to enable me to have student loan payments. Does anyone have any advice as to where I will be able to open a bank account which will not require me to have a perfect credit rating? I am not looking for an overdraft etc. (the last thing I need are more debts to have to pay)!

Also, currently everytime any money hits my account, despite having now cancelled all my DD's, A&L are 9 times out of 10 taking a £34 charge for failed DD's, is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

Thank you in advance for any advice that anyone has to offer - it is much appreciated.

Sarah x

Hi,

I know the post office offers a basic bank account, as does the HSBC, I have just opened a parachute a/c with them, and all it offers is a cash card (no chip and pin) and dd facilities, nothing else.

Like you my credit rating took a battering when my ex and I split, he stayed in the house and didn't pay the mortgage or any bills for 6 months! Again leaving me to pick up all the peices!

Good luck

Heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the info - will check both of these out straight away, I just need to make sure I am covered as my loan payment is due in 5 weeks and I can't have it 'eaten' by A&L!

Thanks again,

Sarah x

Hi,

Thanks very much - I will give them a go, it's just so frustrating at the moment as every time any money goes into my A&L account (including CTC and Child Benefit) they take £34 from me. Yesterday I was left with £9 after they took yet another charge.

Thanks again,

Sarah x

Yes I know the feeling - and being chrarged twice for a failed direct debit in a few days doesnt help. A & L were unable to tell me why they allowed some through and charged £16 but others failed at a cost of £34. Those going through or not obviously being sorted so they can make the most money! There has been one month where they charged me almost £700 in charges - my entire months salary and least to say made things even worse with my creditors!! Not any more - we are going to get it back!!! Good luck

Jovichick,

Lets get things into perspective first. Their are a number of banks that offer basic accounts although I can't place my hands immediately on the list I have from CCCs, as soon as I can find it I'll list them in this thread for you.

It sounds to me like you need to get another account and move all payments into and out of it, that should at the very least give you some breathing space to resolve the problem with A&L. Make sure you work out a budget and stick to it as well.

A&L can apply as many charges as they like once your main banking is done with another bank, after all your going to get it all back eventually :)

I would also speak to the CCCS on 0845 272 5400 regarding the problems of the CCJ's if your ex husbands name is on any of the original debts then he is jointly liable for them.

If Direct Debits have been cancelled and A&L are still attempting to pay them and charging you for the privilage then that is covered by the direct debit guarantee and they have no legal right for the charge. I had a similar situation last year when I moved bank account from A&L. they failed to provide a full list of mandates and then made charges for failing them despite being told NOT to pay any after a certain date.All those charges were fully refunded.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Thanks very much for the info Tamadus, I am trying to secure an account at the moment and the second I do so will definately be moving everything to the new account!

The original 14 days are up as of today so my second letter is going to be winging its way through the post later today :)

They still haven't responded to my first request but from reading the threads on here, I am sending my second letter anyway..

Usually I wouldn't be too worried about opening a new account but with my student loan payment due in 4 weeks, I have to get a move on!

Thanks again,

Sarah x

Hi all,

Just thought I would post an update! My worries about setting up a parachute account are over!!! Natwest have accepted me and have set me up a step current account - thanks very much for all the advice everyone has offered over the past week or so.

Still no news from A&L, but my second letter was sent yesterday so in 13 days - and counting! - my moneyclaim will be filed!

Thanks again for the support,

Sarah x

Great news Jovichick now you can concentrate on dealing with A&L properly instead of keeping track of how much they are taking.:)

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought I would post another update!! Well, I recieved a letter last week - 3 weeks after my prelim letter was sent telling me that the report only refers to current accounts... blah, blah, blah!! After reading other peoples cases on here, I was completely expecting this and as my second letter had already been sent, I popped the letter into the envelope I am keeping with all the correspondence to do with the case.

The 14 day deadline after the second letter ran out today and I happily paid my £80 for the court costs about 2 mins ago in order to file my claim!

I have however, had a few issues with my cashcard today. I went to the post office to take out some money, and my card was refused :Cry: , I rang my local branch, who advised me to try a cash point, which I did and it still wouldn't give me my money!! I then took a trip to the bank only to be told that my account had been temporarily suspended due to the information on their files being incorrect (I changed address in June and despite two notifications having been sent, they have not yet changed their system!). The laughable thing was that although they would not let me use my cash card in a cash machine, I was told if I wanted to take my money out in branch, they would have to levy a £2 charge. As I am sure you can imagine, I was having none of that and after having been quite snotty with the woman behind the counter, I managed to get the 'charge' waived. They said it was nothing to do with my taking them to court but couldn't tell me exactly why my account had been suspended - very suspicious eh?

Anyways, the only thing I want to ask now is what should I expect to happen next? How long does it take before moneyclaim hit A&L with the claim pack and how long have others had to wait from this point on??

Thanks in advance,

Sarah x

awwww sorry Jovichick but I submitted my moneyclain on Friday so it would land on their doormat first thing Tuesday morning. I'm guessing here but I suspect they want to keep your money to help pay my claim ;)

Seriously it will take them a couple of weeks to respond to your claim, but in the meantime it sounds like they need to make an apology and restitution for suspending your account, as for paying a fee to withdraw your own money from the branch I thought that idea had died a death a long time ago.

I hope somebody feels sorry for the poor old A&L with 2 claims in the same week to contend with :-D

Tamadus

Nah, we shouldn't feel sorry for them, after today and their suspension of my account, I have no pity!!!

Just can't wait to get back the money so that I am able to pay some of the bills it was intended for in the first place!!

Thanks for the support - is much appreciated, will keep you posted as to progress! :)

Sarah x

I should imagine they will think they are doing well if they only get 2 claims in a week. If you haven't done it yet can you send a pm to a moderator with your claim details to go in the litigation in progress forum.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I was going to say that Caro lol:)

just to update you Jovi the acknowledged my claim today 31/8/06 :) I am off to issue on Capital One now as Debitas seem to be using the phone a lot since I sent the LBA not bad going as I have told them to stop calling under the telecoms act.

I have a rubbish credit rating including CCJs, but I have just opened a basic account with cooperative in preparation for getting my charges back from A&L (I'll be sending the data request this weekend). With the Co-op you get an electron debit card and online banking. All you need to do is prove your identity.

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.

Got the acknowledgement of service this am saying that they intend to fully defend claim...... lol so now counting down days til cheque arrives!!

Hope your claim is progressing Tamadus, let me know when you get your cheque, and thx for the advice Nackers, I have now got my new account with the Natwest, is much better than A & L one!!!

Thanks,

Sarah x

When anyone checks their a&l statements be aware the charges changed approx sep 04 from flat £25 to an intial £25 to be followed by a further £25 3 days later. Be aware that an excess charge pre 04 appears as 'Monthly O/D Charge' on statements.

My 1st letter to them got posted on the 31st August, i'll keep you all posted...

James

I got the acknowledgement of service in the mail yesterday Jovi but the acknowledged it online last Friday stating they intend to fully defend the claim so hopefully I should have the check in the next couple of weeks

jovichick, if you are receiving CTC and file your claim at the Court Office you are exempt from fees, see court leaflet EX160A, this is how I have filed my claims against A and L, very easy to do and very helpful Court staff.

When anyone checks their a&l statements be aware the charges changed approx sep 04 from flat £25 to an intial £25 to be followed by a further £25 3 days later. Be aware that an excess charge pre 04 appears as 'Monthly O/D Charge' on statements.

My 1st letter to them got posted on the 31st August, i'll keep you all posted...

James

This is nothing new. The 'Monthly O/D Charge is and always has been £5. Thats the charge they make for any month your overdraft facility is used and it's a legitimate charge and cannot be reclaimed. If you look closer they charge you £10 to set up the overdraft facility and a further £10 a year continuation fee, again legitimate. The £25 charges you mention are for excedding your overdraft level and are applied on day 1 and again on day 3 if the level hasnt been reduced to your agreed amount. Those are a penalty and should be claimed

Woohoo!!! :D

Woke up this morning to a nice little envelope on my doorstep from the Alliance & Leicester having settled in full!!!

I couldn't and wouldn't have had the courage to do this without the help of this site and everyone has my sincere thanks for all their help.

Am off to pop cheque in bank now - good luck to all still awaiting settlements, although I am sure you won't need luck! ;)

Thanks again,

Sarah x

Woohoo!!! :D

Woke up this morning to a nice little envelope on my doorstep from the Alliance & Leicester having settled in full!!!

I couldn't and wouldn't have had the courage to do this without the help of this site and everyone has my sincere thanks for all their help.

Am off to pop cheque in bank now - good luck to all still awaiting settlements, although I am sure you won't need luck! ;)

Thanks again,

Sarah x

Wooohooo great news jovi, strange I have heard nothing yet and I filed a few days before you did. Watch mine be the one they do defend in court :eek: