• Tweets

• wont go near it with a barge pole as its ex gov't debt.  
    • Thanks, I've had my fill of this lot. What makes me so mad is that I had to take out student loan to get any DHSS help. And then when I tried to help myself and family they presented obstacles. Might be worth passing story to RIP off Britain?
    • there is NO exposure if you simple remove your name address/ref numbers etc from docs, over 10'000 pdf uploads are here. which then harvests IP addresses off of the people that then do so..which is why we do not allow hosting sites. read our rules and upload carefully thats exactly why we say capture as JPG, redact, then convert/merge to one mass PDF. then online sites to achieve that we list do not leave watermarks.  every once in a while we have a user like you that thinks they know better...we've been doing it since 2006 with not one security issue. thank you.
    • was at the time you ticked it  but now they've still not complied . if you read up, here , you'll see thats what everyone does,  
    • no they never allow the age related get out, erudio are masters at faking supposed 'arrears' fees which were levied before said date and thus null its write off. 1000's of threads here on them!! scammers untied that lot. i can almost guarantee they'll state it's not SB'd too re above, but just ignore them once sent. dx    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard - CCA is it enforceable?

fredsdebt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

As far as I can see (and that aint easy:|) I can see no key terms within that document.

UNenforceable (but just my opinion :))

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Send them this;

Dear Sirs,

Account no xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: my request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

This account is in Dispute .

On xx/xx/2009 I wrote to xxxxxxxxx requesting that xxxxxxx supply me a true copy of the executed credit agreement for this account.

In response to this request I was supplied a mere application form which did not comply with the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The document sent purporting to be a credit agreement does not contain any of the prescribed terms as required by section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) made under the authority of the “1974 Act” sets out what the prescribed terms are, I refer you to Schedule 6 Column 2 of SI 1983/1553 for the definition of what is required. Suffice to say none of the terms are present in the document

Since this document does not contain the required prescribed terms it is rendered unenforceable by s127 (3) consumer Credit Act 1974, which states

127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

This situation is backed by case law from the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (House of Lords) the highest court in the land. Your attention is drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the agreement cannot be enforced.

In addition should you continue to pursue me for this debt you will be in breach of the OFT guidelines, I draw your attention to the Office of Fair Trading’s guidance on debt collection

The OFT guidance which was issued July 2003 (updated December 2006) relating to debt collections and what the OFT considers unfair, I refer to page 5 of the guidance which states;

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

h. Ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment.

I require you to produce a compliant copy of my credit agreement to confirm I am liable to you or any organisation, which you represent for this alleged debt, if you cannot do so I require written clarification that this is the case. Should you ignore this request I will report you to the Office of Fair Trading to consider your suitability to hold a credit licence in addition to a complaint to Trading Standards, as you will be in breach of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40

Since the agreement is unenforceable and the default notice is non compliant, it would be in everyone’s interest to consider the matter closed and for your client to write the debt off. I suggest you give serious consideration to this as any attempt of litigation will be vigorously defended and I will counter claim for all quantifiable damages

I respectfully request a response to this letter in 14 days

I trust this out lines the situation

Print name do not sign

Hi all, thank you for reading this post. I would be most grateful for any comments on the CCA agreement copy received from Barclaycard. What they have is sent is all that they have. It was signed by me in July 1994.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/fredsdebt/Barclaycard.jpg

It is an application form, without heading " this is a credit agreement regulated.........................", it is devoid of all prescribed terms. So in my opinion also, most unenforceable.

Thanks to both 'cerberusalert' and 'vint1954' I shall be looking at sending Barclaycard just such a letter.

Any other 'caggers' comments welcome as well!! although it does seem quite clear that it is unenforceable.

Two questions:

1) Are there any good links as to what I should do next ie. after sending the letter do I hold back any further payments?

2) If it is unenforceable where do I stand with regard to all the previous payments I have made against the Accrued Interest and Charges applied?

Thanks

Thanks to both 'cerberusalert' and 'vint1954' I shall be looking at sending Barclaycard just such a letter.

Any other 'caggers' comments welcome as well!! although it does seem quite clear that it is unenforceable.

Follow cerberusalerts advice. You won't go wrong.

Two questions:

1) Are there any good links as to what I should do next ie. after sending the letter do I hold back any further payments?

Yes, post 4 this thread. You can hold back payments while the account is in dispute, however expect defaults and threatening letters if you do and no action from them if you don't

2) If it is unenforceable where do I stand with regard to all the previous payments I have made against the Accrued Interest and Charges applied?

You can claim the charges back, plus the interest on those charges, but not previous payments.

Thanks

Vint

Just had 'Mercers Debt Collection' on the phone - threats of doorstep call. Used some of the information etc.. from this Forum to basically say "go away" Thanks for the info up here - it is good to know.

Refuse to talk to them on the grounds of security, surrounding identity theft, then say goodbye.

Have you sent them:

This account is in serious dispute with Barclaycard, the details of which are none of your concern.

TAKE URGENT NOTE:

I DO NOT WISH TO RECEIVE ANY REPRESENTATIVE OF YOUR ORGANISATION, OR INDEED AN AGENT OR REPRESENTATIVE EMPLOYED BY ANY ORGANISATION THAT YOU ISSUE INSTRUCTIONS TO.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.)

THEREFORE TAKE NOTE THAT I REVOKE LICENSE UNDER COMMON LAW FOR YOU, OR YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO VISIT ME AT MY PROPERTY AND IF YOU DO SO, THEN YOU WILL BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES FOR A TORT OF TRESSPASS AND ACTION WILL BE TAKEN, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO , POLICE ATTENDANCE.

I also caution you here that should you ignore my request on this point, the actions of your representative(s) will happily be recorded either by CCTV or by telephone recording equipment – whichever is applicable. Accordingly I reserve the right to use any evidence of you or your representatives’ ignoring this request in connection with any actions that I choose to pursue, including media exposure.

Should it be your intention to disregard my wishes, and break your obligations, please be advised that the following rules also apply, as laid down by the OFT in respect of debt collection, and that you, as a holder of a consumer credit license, are obliged to follow:

The areas of the OFT guidance which applies to you in this instance are:

Debt collection visits

2.12 Examples of unfair practices are:

a. not making the purpose of any proposed visit clear, for example, merely stating that collectors or field agents will call is not sufficient

f. visiting or threatening to visit debtors without prior agreement when the debt is deadlocked or disputed

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any third parties and credit reference agencies.

Please confirm that you have complied with my request under section 10 of the Data Protection Act.

Fred, your image is a bit grainy round the edges and I cant see if it is one of the trifold application forms that had the sticky bit round the edge for sealing ?

If so, the chances of any other information being on the back of the document are zero as there would have just been an address for it to be returned to.:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Fred, your image is a bit grainy round the edges and I cant see if it is one of the trifold application forms that had the sticky bit round the edge for sealing ?

If so, the chances of any other information being on the back of the document are zero as there would have just been an address for it to be returned to.:)

Hi 'CitizenB'. Yes the image Barclaycard sent is really grainy and looks like a print out from a Microfische reader. I can't recall for certain if it was one of those tri-fold application forms (view on here is that it looks like an Application Form) but the name and address box (which I have blanked out) originally had my full name pre-printed. Not sure how they got my name as I am not / havent been a Barclays Bank customer? I think if it is a tri-fold (sticky round the edge) then the other side would proberbly just been the pre-paid postage to return back.

This looks like all Barclaycard have on me.

• 5 weeks later...
Mercers are the in-house collection arm of Barclays, but they pretend to be a seperate entity. :rolleyes: They must be embarrassed. :D

Thats right - I got on same day a letter from Mercers and one from Barclays - saying different things but same typeface and layout on same paper just different logos! :-D

Chuckle Brothers!

Dear Sirs,

Account no xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: my request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

This account is in Dispute .

I'm a bit confused about this point. I understand that in the absence of an enforceable agreement the creditor cannot pursue the debt via the courts, but they can continue to request that the debt is repaid.

Saying the account is disputed is like saying the debt does not exist. But if the money was loaned to the debtor, albeit on the back of an invalid and unenforceable agreement, the debt still exists so how can it be disputed? Isn't it only the enforceability that is being disputed? Isn't that different to the account itself being disputed?

I'm a bit confused about this point. I understand that in the absence of an enforceable agreement the creditor cannot pursue the debt via the courts, but they can continue to request that the debt is repaid.

Saying the account is disputed is like saying the debt does not exist. But if the money was loaned to the debtor, albeit on the back of an invalid and unenforceable agreement, the debt still exists so how can it be disputed? Isn't it only the enforceability that is being disputed? Isn't that different to the account itself being disputed?

To me its about making the statement to Barclaycard/Mercers (same for other credit cards) that you are informing them that the account they are chasing is disputed and throwing the onus back to them to prove it else go away. In this case Mercers/Barclaycard havent got a clue what they are doing - seen lots on this forum that all the pre April 1997 credit agreements are all appliction forms and none are enforecable.

Being chased by Mercers is like being chased by a lame sheep with no teeth. Barclaycard and Mercers send out letters that clearly show they dont have a clue and dont know what they are doing - hence the reference to Chuckle Brothers!

My view is make the statement then cease paying anymore to them.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Letter in from Barclacard "appology" for me having raised a complaint (had earlier told them their agreement was unenforceable and to the way/lack of respose from Barclaycard). Reply promised back from Barclaycard by 8th December.

Mercers still being very poor at doing anything. When I phone them they havent got my letters on file saying a back log of post!! Seems like chaos there to me! I have resent all my letters (nice thick envelope went off yesterday) and will now wait. My plan now is thats it - the agreement is in my view (and others on here) uneforceable so I will leave things and just see if they contact me again.

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

Calders have been hounding meover a credit card debt with Barclaycard.

I am ok dealing with Calders and not looking for help to see if my agreement is enforcable or not.

What I am looking for is advice/help/comments on the attached recently received from Calders. I have several chasing letters from Calders on their headed paper as follows:

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/fredsdebt/Calderletter.jpg

The above is similar to what I have seen on CAG forum.

I recently had a phone call from Calders wanting to do a full and final settlement. Strange not only the call but as my agreement appears enforceable (its not pre 1997) as not expecting it. The offer was 30% of the balance outstanding. Interesting that 30% seems to be a %age that has come up a few times as being a %age from likes of Calder and others before the debt gets sold to 'real' debt collectors.

I said to Calders that any 'deals' for a F&F need to be sent to me in writing. Here is what I got from Calders:

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/fredsdebt/Calderofferletter.jpg

I have a couple of questions on the above - the main one being why is it on different style 'home made' headed paper and not look like the first letter?

1) the letter had wrong date on (I have blanked it out). It was a date prior to the telephone conversation.

2) The font colour and style is diffrent.

3) Account number quoted was incomplete.

4) Calder Registered Office not on front of the letter (at foot of the letter as with the first letter).

5) The letter is not signed.

I also have a friend/contact who is also in same boat with Barclaycard/Calder and he recently had similar phone call wth F&F offer and he asked for it to be sent in writing. Instead a week later he got a letter from Moorcroft syig they had the debt and now collecting arrears. He called Calders and asked why this had been done when he was expecting the F&F letter - he was told cant do now and need to contact Moorcrofts. Again the F&F offer was 30%.

Thanks,

ok well first things first

NEVER talk to a dca on the phone...ever!

now.

if they are offering a settlement lower than the outstanding balance then there is SOMETHING WRONG with either the agreement or the bal is made of charges and/or PPI.

when was you last in/out too?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok well first things first

NEVER talk to a dca on the phone...ever!

now.

if they are offering a settlement lower than the outstanding balance then there is SOMETHING WRONG with either the agreement or the bal is made of charges and/or PPI.

when was you last in/out too?

dx

I agree Never talk to a DCA on phone. I only metiond that I had spoken after they called saying lets do a F&F when I think my agreement could/would go against me if I were to end up in court. I thought the phone call was strange - I said to them put it (ie, 30% offer) in writing to me as this would help me negotiate even lower as any counter offers and further offers wont go above 30% so maybe I can get it lower.

My point here is the letter received (copy above). I am also looking for comments on Calders approach to me and to my freind as detailed in my opening post rather than "dont talk to a DCA".

I take your point though that maybe there is something wrong with my agreement - but seeing as it only couple of years old it proberbly complies with the latest Consumer Credit Act law - which is why I found it odd (and why I was curious I suppose) to talk to Calders when I know the basic rule is never talk to them.

Thanks,