• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Log Book Loans!! *****WON*****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi this is for VJR or anyone who knows.

this is copied from an earlier reply from vjr.

(Boo Boo sorry to upset you again thats coz they're not bailiffs they are cash converters staff usaully the meanest and biggest one's they can find hence no paperwork, think about it fancy giving them your car to joe soap!)

I was specifically told that cash converter has no connection with log book loans, but what cash converter do is recommend them to their customers for commission only. is this true? the information source was from a franchise owner of a cash converter store. thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone

Well it's been a while since I have been on here and cannot believe all you people have had so many problems with this wonderful company!!! :mad:

I had many a chat with V_J_R, who was a great help, at one point with regard my position. My BMW Z3 was taken away one bright morning ages ago after I had allegedly taken out a loan with this lot. It is a long story but it turns out someone had used fake docs at an old address of mine.

I never got my car back, as apparently they had sold it!!!

However, I can say that I only ever received one letter from them again requesting the rest of the money that I OWED THEM - £3800.

I have never paid them a penny ever, although they did take my pride and joy. I felt I was really getting somewhere with V_J_R and then it all went really quiet and we had our wrists slapped for too many PMs. Then it just stopped.

What I would really like to do is get cash from them to cover me buying a new Z3.

If V_J_R would like to help me with this, I would love it. I lost my way for quite some time with this and really lost interest when I was told the car was sold. But why should I stop there. They took something that belonged to me, Illegally in my opinion.

Thanks

Mark

:mad:

Hi everyone

Well it's been a while since I have been on here and cannot believe all you people have had so many problems with this wonderful company!!! :mad:

What I would really like to do is get cash from them to cover me buying a new Z3.

If V_J_R would like to help me with this, I would love it. I lost my way for quite some time with this and really lost interest when I was told the car was sold. But why should I stop there. They took something that belonged to me, Illegally in my opinion.

Thanks

Mark

:mad:

Hi Mark

New Year, New Car?

I'm with you 100%? Don't think I'll be of much help mind, but I am at the Court submission stage as they have refuted all of my claim etc... So my case no where near as complex as yours hun.

I do remember what happened to you originally and as far as I can see this is a criminal offence, but wasn't that committed by the guy who falsified the papers etc..? The only thing I don't understand is how the guy managed to get papers for your Z3 at an old address and yet they tracked the car to your new address? Obviously V_J_R has more information than I do, but I don't know quite how you go about dealing with this without legal intervention to be honest.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance but I really do suggest you get some Legal advice. I haven't seen or heard from V_J_R for months I don't even know whether or not he is on this site anymore, I certainly haven't seen any postings from him and have only seen one posting from someone who was taking on LBL in the last 3 months.

Please let me know what you decide to do and lots of luck.

Boo (Bev)

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

HI

Been reading up on all your peoples comments regarding LBL due to the problem I had this morning waking up to find a clamp on my car!!

After ringing LBL's to find out how come I only missed one payment why they have clamp my car.

First the history of loan

Loan amount £2000. In October 2006

Car Value £10000.

Missed one payment of £257 but they say its 7 weeks over due as I pay monthy and always a month infront. But to my working out that means Im only 3 weeks behind.

Signed the agreement at home

Wasnt told it was a bill of sale, if i was told this i wouldnt have taken the loan out.

So this morning I rang them up and Im told that if I didnt pay the full amount to clear the loan, which now turns out to be £5883.23 in full they would take the car within an hour.

Or I could pay £1860.00 for the arrears for the 7 weeks!!! so i asked why is it this much as for 8 weeks in would only be £514.00 Im told the is how much its gone upto because of the late payments. I told them Ive only missed one payment, and was told that no because they count it as weekly payments not monthy.

So i told them ok they will have to give me longer than the hour the said i had to go get the money for them as i need to get to a bank and I've not got a car to use now, so I rang the clamping guy back up told him I need 2 hours which he agreed was ok.

I then used an angel grinder and cut down both sides of the clamp which holds the bottom parts against the wheel, let me tell you, if your thinking of doing this, use metal wheel on the grinder as the stone ones wear down fast and you need 2!! so was panicing a little but it only took 10 mins.

I rang the clamping guy back up told him where i put his clamp and told him to get it welded back up to send me the bill, he was nice about it to be honest. He did start to say that I had broken the law, but I told himn that there was no court order so really i think he had broken the law by clamping it.

So I've moved my car and went and brought another one to use for now (was lucky that i could afford to do this). The car is way out of reach and to be honest I am not paying back more than the money i borrowed as Im not being blackmailed and lied to.

So now legally how do i stand? thought you people would be this best to ask.

Can I take the car off HPI?

Can I sell the car on?

And can they take the car from the person i sell it to if i can take it of the hpi list or not.

Kind regards

Buzz

HI

Can I sell the car on?

And can they take the car from the person i sell it to if i can take it of the hpi list or not.

Kind regards

Buzz

As you will no doubt have noticed these are the worst possible to deal with. I would not suggest rushing into any sales just yet and tbh I wasn't aware that the car would have been listed as hpi. You have to be very careful how you now act, hopefully someone will post further information for you but what I suggest you do is open your own thread in the Vehicle retailers and manufacturers forum and have a look at other threads in there also look at:

Consumer Action Group > The Consumer Action Group > Vehicle retailers and manufacturers navbits_finallink.gif Log Book Loans - Can anyone help???

Loads of potings on this thread might be some of use on there to you honey!

But make sure you start your own thread so that more people can see and advise and you'll be in the right forum.

Good luck and hope that helps

Boo

;) Boobaby

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

So I've moved my car and went and brought another one to use for now (was lucky that i could afford to do this). The car is way out of reach and to be honest I am not paying back more than the money i borrowed as Im not being blackmailed and lied to.

Can I sell the car on?

Kind regards

Buzz

Buzz - I think you did absolutely the right thing.

I wish I had done this, rather than just handing over my car to some jumped up little S***. Although I was closer to getting a baseball bat out and taking it out on him that way, which would have been so WRONG!

I think you need to check whether it now has got HPI on it or not, this will answer all of these questions for you, I think. It does cost, but you can get this done over the net and atleast you will know then. The only problem you will have then, is the fact that LBL have your Log Book!!!!!!

Mark:mad:

HI

Thank you for your fast replies, I've not checked to see yet if its on the hpi list its just from some of the forums on here that i got the impression thats what LBL do. So I will check that tomorrow and see, if its not then I will just send of for a new log book, as I never signed the one i gave LBL I dont think that I would be breaking any laws there.

And then sell it asap as long as I know that they can't go and take it from them, the key i gave them when taking the loan out didnt have the alarm or electronic key so its no good to them anyway.

I get the feeling that me selling the car is the only way to get them into a court room and getting my and everyone else side of the story out and letting people know how this company does it business.

Once again thank you for replying

Buzz

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks It"s about time something was done about Log Book Loans I had a £600 loan with them and they sent The bailiffs up from England to Scotland to repossess my car when I was out . They uplifted my ford capri even though I had payed them over £1400 back I bought my car with my own cash (£1250) .

I have been fighting ever since to try and get my money back or the car returned but they say they have sold the car even though I know it is still registered under my name . I have contacted the police and they are trying to find out if a crime was committed before they can act on my behalf I have also been to trading Standards and they wrote to Log Book loans saying that my loan agreement stated that they Had to get a court order before they could uplift my car and they didn't have one. Trading standards got a reply back from log book saying that they don't need a court order so trading standards told me I would have to take log book to court but I cant get legal aid so thats not an option .

I have been fighting this since they sent Gemini up here on the 12th of November to uplift my car . There must be something we can do about this [problem] can we not all get together and do something about them . I have tried phoning BBC watchdog but they don't seem interested as they never get back to me . I just think that since there are so many people who are being ripped off by those people we should all get together and send our stories to trading standards or anyone that would listen . Cheers Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on LBL, more or less decided I was going to let this one go as I wasn't sure whether or not I stood a chance with getting my money back with these S****S - lovely people! But then woke up this morning and whilst assisting my sister with her bank claim and again reading the site and re-reading this thread I thought what have I got to lose!

Has anyone else put in a claim against LBL?

I started the process and got to the Court Stage and then gave up but I have all of the court papers in front of me now and I'm going to the court this afternoon to submit a claim.

Please let me know if anyone has any further information.

Thanks

Boo

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Is your claim under £5,000 and so in small claims Boo? If so, I agree nothing to lose.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Is your claim under £5,000 and so in small claims Boo? If so, I agree nothing to lose.

Hi honey

It sure is, claim submitted now we just wait! Not known if anyone else has taken on these boys so this might be the first!

Watch this space:wink:

Boo

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Hi I have been following your thread , not sure if you have seen the other threads on Vehicle section , I was advised by a lady on one of the threads that log book are refunding people for the charges for the letter's she told me that she wrote a letter on behalf of one her clients (she was a debt councellor) and log book have recognised that the £20.00 charge is not acceptable and have been stating that they are now charging £12.00 per letter , and if you write in they will refund the difference, I am just about to send my first letter off as I'm all paid up with them now and got the log book back. This surprised me as I know you have been onto them for months now , but she told me she worked for Citizens Advice so maybe thats why they refunded her client through them and probably try it on with us mere ex customers ,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone well I've finally bitten the bullet and served the claim on LBL. The ironic thing is that the claim was deemed served today and this morning I had a random text from LBL offering me a loan on my car - as if !!

I'd rather have my charges back - thanks;)

They now have 28 days so lets see what happens

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Well done Boo. Everytime I see LBL come up in my list of subscribed threads I cringe, but I like this one. Positive action.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi everyone well I've finally bitten the bullet and served the claim on LBL. The ironic thing is that the claim was deemed served today and this morning I had a random text from LBL offering me a loan on my car - as if !!

I'd rather have my charges back - thanks;)

They now have 28 days so lets see what happens

Hi Boobaby,

Don't be surprised if LBL don't do anything within the 28 days they seem to think they are above law so they can get away with anything they want .

They had 12 days to hand over all the information on my account I paid the £10.00 so they had to send ther information by law but that was about a month ago now and we still haven't heard from them .

You will have to fight them all the way , I am more concerned with stopping LBL from doing this to others thats what I am working on at the moment and might add I am getting there now .

Watch this space !!!. Cheers John ,

Hi Boobaby,

Don't be surprised if LBL don't do anything within the 28 days they seem to think they are above law so they can get away with anything they want .

They had 12 days to hand over all the information on my account I paid the £10.00 so they had to send ther information by law but that was about a month ago now and we still haven't heard from them .

You will have to fight them all the way , I am more concerned with stopping LBL from doing this to others thats what I am working on at the moment and might add I am getting there now .

Watch this space !!!. Cheers John ,

Hi john

Like yourself I am interested in stopping them as well and have dealt with a lot of different threads regarding this organisation. I keep hoping that the more people that log on to this site will read the numerous threads and think twice before dealing with them and for those people that have unfortunately been dragged into their oh so different t & c's let's just hope that this claim is the start of many successful ones.

Boo

Thanks Caro always a pleasure to hear from you honey;)

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

Hi Boo,

I know for sure that OFT have had many complaints about LBL and they say they are looking into them I have been dissapointed With the BBC Watchdog though I gave them all my info about LBL and I know other people have also been in touch with them but so far they have never even mentioned LBL .

I hope you get the better of LBL please keep us informed with your progress I have phoned LBL asking them to send me some confirmation that my acount has been paid up and the balance is clear but they wont even do that .

They got my car and told me that the account was closed but they never sent me a letter so I am a bit worried that if there was a balance of £1.00 left to clear they will send me a letter in six months saying the £1.00 I owed them had gone up to £2000 after they add there intrest .

The sooner I get some proof from them saying the Account is finished the better !!! I am getting fed up phoning them and asking for the proof though I get the feeling they are up to something . Cheers and good luck , John

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Boo,

I know for sure that OFT have had many complaints about LBL and they say they are looking into them I have been dissapointed With the BBC Watchdog though I gave them all my info about LBL and I know other people have also been in touch with them but so far they have never even mentioned LBL .

I hope you get the better of LBL please keep us informed with your progress I have phoned LBL asking them to send me some confirmation that my acount has been paid up and the balance is clear but they wont even do that .

They got my car and told me that the account was closed but they never sent me a letter so I am a bit worried that if there was a balance of £1.00 left to clear they will send me a letter in six months saying the £1.00 I owed them had gone up to £2000 after they add there intrest .

The sooner I get some proof from them saying the Account is finished the better !!! I am getting fed up phoning them and asking for the proof though I get the feeling they are up to something . Cheers and good luck , John

TBH never had any problem getting that information from them they also returned my Log Book (I had to ask for that though, but I had a copy anyway that I'd requested from the DVLA). I had statement of account immediately on asking (over the phone as well!) but it was last August before joining this site and before they also got wise.

Had a letter this morning from the Court saying that LBL are contesting the action and will be defending all of the claim! So I will be spending Easter putting together all of the necessary paperwork etc.. and trawling the site for advice and information.

Boo

;) Boobaby

FAQ’s

• 3 weeks later...

Hi we are having trouble with them at the moment, they are about to reposess our car as we have fallen into arrears , I have read that the bill of sale should have been witnessed by a solicitor or 2 witnesses and also registered at a court , is this right?

Hi we are having trouble with them at the moment, they are about to reposess our car as we have fallen into arrears , I have read that the bill of sale should have been witnessed by a solicitor or 2 witnesses and also registered at a court , is this right?

Hi Mariette ,

As far as I am aware you are right about the bill of sale , but that won't stop them taking your car court order or no court order . I know because they sold my car , they uplifted my car one day I was out they never had a court order they sold my car down in England after taking it from Scotland .

I can only say if they come and take your car go to the police as I am sure they are comiting a crime , I would try anything you can because once they get your car they will sell it !! then it is to late to do anything about it. Let us know how you get on , Cheers Alex

• 1 month later...
Take a look at the thread entitled "LBL Ltd" in general consumer!, i just come back from a short break and have been helping another user liamarkfin on these forums.:eek:

What i need is all people who have had dealings with this outfit as far back as 1999 - 2004 and/or to date? to contact me please!.:D

Hi, I'm currently experiecing problems with LBL, in fact have just posted for advice on the Forum, are you able to advise how best to deal with these people. Thne stress of them is making me ill... Carla

I've just calculated my charges and they come to £320 but with compounded interest going back to 2005 it now stands at over £27k

It's going to be an interesting year...

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone

I have a way to get back at Log Book Loans (“LBL”) and Mobile Money (“MM”). I assure you, this will work - I am a lawyer.

I have read the various threads with some horror at the tactics used by LBL and MM and this is my reason for posting.

Unfortunately, first some bad new – the loans they issue, and the way they secure their interest over a vehicle, via a Bill of Sale (“BOS”), is completely legal, if they follow the correct procedure. I have reviewed a LBL case and they seem to be doing everything correctly; I have not looked a MM, but I would presume they are also following the correct procedure. Furthermore, despite some posts that suggest the contrary, they can take possession of goods which are secured by way of a BOS without a court order.

Sorry, it gets worse before it gets better – if you are unfortunate enough to purchase a vehicle which has a chattel mortgage (what the BOS effectively creates) attached to it then, even though you are an innocent party, the vehicle can still legally be taken off you without a court order.

I am surprised that I have seen another lawyer in a press article suggest that this is illegal – he referrers to innocent parties purchasing vehicles with outstanding hire purchase (“HP”) agreements and, what he refers to as “other loans” (although he does not elaborate on what other loans are), and states that the an innocent purchaser obtain the goods with good legal tile. He is completely correct in relation to HP agreements as s27 Hire Purchase Act 1964, as substituted by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, provides that an innocent purchaser without notice (ie in non legal speak - a private individual who buys something not knowing that the item was subject to a HP agreement) takes the goods purchased with good legal title. However, there is no such provision for security taken by way of a BOS. In fact, the common law position was amended by s27 and a good analogy to explain why the law works this way is to consider stolen property. If your car was stolen and sold to an innocent party do you think that if the police managed to locate the vehicle you should not be able to re-claim the car – obviously I would think most of you would think that if something is stolen from you then you can take it back once located – and this is exactly the legal position. The general rule in law is that someone can only give good legal title if they themselves posses it, and, unless there is some legislative exception, this rules applies to the sale and purchase of all chattels (in simple terms, chattels is legal speak for property which is not land and buildings – sorry if I sound patronising but I know there are some reader who are not as legally conversant as other and I just want them to understand what I am saying).

I have read a number of other posts that incorrectly state the law and give false hope but I don’t have the time to deal with each issue raised.

Unfortunately, in my opinion it will be very difficult to legally challenge LGL or MM based on the BOS.

However, now for the good news. To operate within the law lenders require a consumer credit licence. This is issued by the Office of Fair Trading (“OFT”) and recent legislative changes have given the OFT significantly more discretion and powers in who to issue consumer credit licences to and, where appropriate, to revoke such licences.

My proposal is that we work together to get the consumer credit licences of LBL and MM removed and this is how to do it:

The law in relation to credit advertising was changed recently by the Consumer Credit (Advertising) Regulation 2004 (the “Regulations”). I will not bore you with the details but the OFT have issued guidance to lenders on the interpretation of these regulations. Basically a lender must publish a typical APR where, amongst other things, they offer credit to people with a poor credit history or where they offer an incentive.

The OFT have stated that terms such as “No Credit Checks” or “Super Fast Loans”, or similar, will trigger the requirements to publish a typical APR. See para 8.16 of the following guidance: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft746.pdf

I have seen advertisement placed by both MM and LBL that contravene the Regulations by not stating a typical APR. I saw one today – they are not difficult to find.

This is what I propose that everyone does – look out for MM and LBL adverts. If they say anything like “fast loans”, “no credit checks”, “CCJ’s - no problem”, “Cash Loans within 30 minutes” etc then they must quote a typical APR. If they don’t then they have broken the law.

Report every breach of these regulations to your local trading standards (a letter or e-mail is best, but phone if you don’t have time). If enough complaints are received then the OFT will have to consider revoking their consumer credit licences. What’s even better, the directors of LBL and MM will face criminal prosecutions and convictions as breaching the Regulations is actually a criminal offence.

If enough people take action, as I have suggested, then LBL and MM will lose their consumer credit licences and this will stop them trading – in short, there is more than one way to skin a cat!

I hope this has been helpful and I wish you all luck.

• 4 months later...

Boobaby --- what happened with LBL - did you ever get your charges back :)

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek: