Virgin Media Disconnect charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been a virgin customer for over two years. Over the past three months I have been having problems with my broadband slowing to a crawl during the evening. I have spoken multiple times with virgin technicians and they have been unable to resolve the problem. Three weeks ago I decided to cancel as the issue still had not been resolved. The lady I spoke with at the virgin diconnection office said she would run the 30 day notice period from that day but pending one last dicussion with a technician would not activate the disconnection. I spoke with steven ramsbot and post that discussion decided to give it a try for another week or so. On July 8th I emailed him as the broadband was still slowing massively during the evenings. I have not received a reply from him. On the 18th of July I rang your disconnection department to disconnect. The lady (rachel) informed me that they had no record of my disconnection period running and a new period would have to start. She also informed me that I had entered into a new contract with virgin on the 13-Mar-09 when I changed my package to L broadband + phone + M TV package. Therefore I was liable to an early disconnection fee of £120.

When I upgraded my package at no point was I informed that I was entering into a new contract. Your disconnection office has refuted this and has refused to provide evidence verbal or written of a new contract. They are refusing to disconnect without charging the £120 fee and running the full 30 day period. My broadband is still stalling during the day and virgin technicians are not responding to my emails.

Obviously from my perspective this is not a satisfactory situation.

Can anyone suggest how I should proceed form here?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

sorry to hear this, virgin media seem to have an awful lot of different prices, folk ring them and haggle the price down and have some fees waived, so maybe you can try again, it seems they speak to 'retentions' customers they try to keep by offering a similar deal to competitors like sky. of couse you may just want to disconnect altogether and have no need of a service by all means, I would ask for evidence from them, i.e. make them prove you did not speak to them. I believe they cannot prove their argument anymore than you can that you called so why should they assume this, good luck. maybe trading standards are worth a call?

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have had a similar experience with Virgin media. I also had the XL package with BB, TV and phone. I had been with them for 4 years, and we more or less happy with the service. I called them because my bills had crept up from £50 pm to around £90 pm without reason, they said they'd sort it, and would send some paperwork. 3 months later, the bills were still huge, and I was moving house. I called to inform them, and they told me they could not provide the same service in my new area.

As this is the package that I need for my work etc, I had to cancel my account with them (they could only provide a lesser service to new property, and i would have had to pay for a new bt line for it etc) They told me that i was on a new contract and they would charge me £120 for the cancellation.

I had no paperwork about the new contract, and I haven't signed anything for them for at least 4 years - the start of my contract.

Can I ask them to provide proof of the new contract? Or do I argue that they could not provide me the same service at my new address? I'm not sure what to say to them, or how to word a letter like this

The debt has been passed off to Moorcroft group, who send, frankly, nasty letters about this, and the total on their letters continues to change with each one. Who would I send a letter to about this? Moorcroft or Virgin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks