Philips demanding payment

Abed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received today a complaint form from Philips any tips or suggestions on filling the form are welcome.

There are three facts to this case:

1- Car was part exchanged at a Ford dealer

2- Tax disc returned with a cover letter telling DVLA that I no longer the keeper of the car and received a £90.50 tax refund

3- Acknowledgement letter from DVLA that records were updated

Thanks in advance for all you contributions guys.

Sorry for the delay in replying - in your complaint form to Philips basically inform them what happened, be specific and described how they have harrased you etc, address it the Cheif Executive, by recorded delivery.

I would continue communicating with the DVLA, but im not upto speed on the procedures etc sorry, as im a lease car driver.

Also continue to exaust all other complaint avenues, including your MP, ive noticed lots of horror stories with the DVLA like yours, highlighting your concerns will help others also

Keep us inform.

The retailers worst nightmare !

Today received a reply from Philips after filled a Complaint Form. Their reply:

Thank you fro the completed complaint from. I am sorry you have felt it necessary to complain about the way your case has been handled.

I confirm receipt of the acknowledgement letter issued by the DVLA to confirm that you are no longer the owner/registered keeper of vehicle registration number xxxx. However, this letter is dated after the late licensing penalty was issued and we are therefore not able to accept this letter. Although you received a rebate for the tax on this vehicle from the DVLA in October 2009, they did not receive the v5 form from you until a later date. The acknowledgement letter to confirm that you no longer owned this vehicle was issued to you on the 30 January 2009.

I have been in contact with our client, the DVLA, who have confirmed that the amount of £80.00 is due from you. In the circumstances, I look forward to receiving the payment from you in order to bring this matter to a close. I trust this clarifies the situation, however if I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

Philips

Consturctive comments are welcomed.

Important key points in my complaint that were not addressed in the letter are:

1- Date of offence that appears on every letter I received from Philips: Date of Offence 10 October 2008. However, I part exchange the car on 9 October 2008, which sound strange to initiate an offence when I still had the tax disc which I sent to DVLA with a cover letter stating that I am no longer the keeper of the car.

2: What is the value of Acknowledgement Form that DVLA sent me stating that they updated their records.

3: How could I fill the LLP form when I am the owner of the car

4: What does the Acknowledgement mean when they ask to discard any further forms from DVLA.

5: Does anyone disagree that the acknowledgement from is confusing and does not mean what is written on it.

6: Had I not filled an acknowledgement form and paid the LLP would still receive an acknowledgement form.

Philips has be bombarding me with letters demanding payment and threats to tranish credit, court, et. I wished the DVLA or Philips has sent a reminder before they were keen on sending a LLP. (Strange and Bizzare and does not make sense)

What Philips going to do next?

What am I going to do next?

Edited by Abed

Today received a reply from Philips after filled a Complaint Form. Their reply:

Thank you fro the completed complaint from. I am sorry you have felt it necessary to complain about the way your case has been handled.

I confirm receipt of the acknowledgement letter issued by the DVLA to confirm that you are no longer the owner/registered keeper of vehicle registration number xxxx. However, this letter is dated after the late licensing penalty was issued and we are therefore not able to accept this letter. Although you received a rebate for the tax on this vehicle from the DVLA in October 2009, they did not receive the v5 form from you until a later date. The acknowledgement letter to confirm that you no longer owned this vehicle was issued to you on the 30 January 2009.

I have been in contact with our client, the DVLA, who have confirmed that the amount of £80.00 is due from you. In the circumstances, I look forward to receiving the payment from you in order to bring this matter to a close. I trust this clarifies the situation, however if I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

Philips

Consturctive comments are welcomed.

Important key points in my complaint that were not addressed in the letter are:

1- Date of offence that appears on every letter I received from Philips: Date of Offence 10 October 2008. However, I part exchange the car on 9 October 2008, which sound strange to initiate an offence when I still had the tax disc which I sent to DVLA with a cover letter stating that I am no longer the keeper of the car.

2: What is the value of Acknowledgement Form that DVLA sent me stating that they updated their records.

3: How could I fill the LLP form when I am the owner of the car

4: What does the Acknowledgement mean when they ask to discard any further forms from DVLA.

5: Does anyone disagree that the acknowledgement from is confusing and does not mean what is written on it.

6: Had I not filled an acknowledgement form and paid the LLP would still receive an acknowledgement form.

Philips has be bombarding me with letters demanding payment and threats to tranish credit, court, et. I wished the DVLA or Philips has sent a reminder before they were keen on sending a LLP. (Strange and Bizzare and does not make sense)

What Philips going to do next?

What am I going to do next?

Sorry to hear of the ongoing problems, unfortunatley i am not upto speed on the DVLA bits and bobs, im sure some one else will come on board with commens.

With regard to Philips, i would make a further complaint, this DCA will continue to hound you untill you pay up or so they think.

Also make contact with the DVLA again, continue to make your voice heard !

Philips are a debt collection agency. As such, once you send them a letter clearly stating you dispute the debt, they are legally obliged to return the file to their principle (the DVLA) Only the DVLA can then pursue it through court action (if they are brave enough to).

This is what I wrote in the complaint form

I part exchanged my car (Land Rover R454HGD) on 9 October 2008 for new Ford Fiesta from Evans Halshaw East Kilbride Ford dealer (1 Millibrook Drive, East Kilbride, Glasgow, G74 5 NL). The Land Rover was taxed until May 2009. I sent the tax disc with a cover letter stating that “I am no longer the keeper of the Land Rover R454HGD” and claimed for a refund for the unexpired portion of the tax disc and received a cheque for £92.50 on 29th of October 2009.

I received a Late Licencing Penalty form requesting a payment of £80 (issued by automated process) for failing to relicense the (Land Rover R454HGD). I thought I carried out the procedure of informing the DVLA “that I no longer the keeper of the Land Rover car” and that the automated process fell short of updating the record. However, I sent the V5 yellow slip to DVLA and received and acknowledgement letter saying:

Vehicle Registration Mark: R454 HGD

Make/ Model: Land Rover Freelander XE1 S-Wagon

Thank you for telling us that us that you are no longer the keeper of or have scrapped the vehicle with the above mentioned registration mark. I can confirm that we have updated our records.

If you received an application form for renewing your vehicle licence for this vehicle, please ignore it. You do not need contact us as we print these forms (V11 or V85/1) up to 6 weeks before the licence come to an end”

On 23 March 2009 I received from DVLA a final Notification letter requesting a payment for failing to relicense the Land Rover. As this letter was computer generated and that I had already received an acknowledgement letter that “I am no longer the keeper of the car” I ignored it as per instruction in the acknowledgement letter “You do not need to contact us …”

On the 9th May 2009, 20 May 2009, 27 May 2009, 3 June 2009, 8 June 2009, I received a Notice of Instruction letters from Philips Collection Services Ltd telling me that they were instructed to commence a recovery procedure against me for failing to make payment of £80 for LLP.

I need to point out to you these key important issues:

• Land Rover car was physically part exchanged and lodged Evans Halshaw East Kilbride Ford dealer (1 Millibrook Drive, East Kilbride, Glasgow, G74 5 NL premises and ownership was transferred to the dealer as per invoice no 2074
  • Tax disc was retuned with a cover letter noting the “I am no longer the keeper of this car” and a refund of the unexpired portion of the tax was refunded by a cheque from the DVLA.
  • I received an acknowledgement from the DVLA stating that “I confirm that our records been updated” which begs the questions: What does it mean? Why was it issued 30 January 2009 if the offence was committed on 10 October 2009? And what is its value? Had I paid the fine, would I have had received an acknowledgement without sending V5 slip?
  • The LLP form was obsolete and irrelevant as according to the DVLA acknowledgement letter “…no longer the keeper of or have scrapped the vehicle”
  • Notice of Instruction letter states the Date of Offence: Oct 10, 2008 untrue as I was still in ownership of the tax disc which was sent about one week after the part exchange.

Therefore, I believe I have notified the DVLA under s.24 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 and under that Act that is where my responsibility ends. There is nothing in statute which obliges me to do anything else. Therefore the responsibility of disposal rests upon the DVLA to manage their records and databases properly.

I am troubled to understand why DVLA would mishandle my case. The evidence suggests there is a problem with the automated system operated by DVLA and this is clearly demonstrated by the number of cases for failure:

“During the calendar year September 2007 to August 2008 the agency created 45,339 cases for failure to notify a change of ownership of a vehicle. During the same period a total of 26,927 cases were closed due to mitigating circumstances. “

(Jim Fitzpatrick, 2008)

The DVLA agency recognises that it “does not intend to persecute honest motorists, but to crack down on offenders who repeatedly abuse the system.”

I conclude this section with words from Lord Davies of Oldham

"the aim was not to impinge on the law-abiding citizen. There are law-abiding citizens who inadvertently forget that they should have licensed their vehicle. People may be away on holiday for a long time—over a month, perhaps—and there is always the possibility that people will become ill and will not be able to do the right thing."

Do you think I should respond to their letter which states that the fine still stands or the complaint form that was sent to Philips would suffice as a dispute?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

A great thank you for all those were invloved in this matter with the DVLA. I also thank DailyMail for their intervention and the work they carried out behind the scenes.

Today I received this letter from the DVLA

Thank you for your recent correspondece concerning a late penalty imposed upon you.

Under these circumstances, I can confirm that no further action will be taken on this case and Philips Collection Services have been informed of our decision.

I also apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

A special thanks for the consumer action group as without this forum I would have little hope of putting the case properly.

Although time, work, and personal frustation have cost me much more that what the penalty price was, I am happy that DVLA and Philips were able to examine the facts and act in good practice.

I wonder if I can reclaim the expense I incurred in resloving this matter?

Thanks again

Hi All

A great thank you for all those were invloved in this matter with the DVLA. I also thank DailyMail for their intervention and the work they carried out behind the scenes.

Today I received this letter from the DVLA

Thank you for your recent correspondece concerning a late penalty imposed upon you.

Under these circumstances, I can confirm that no further action will be taken on this case and Philips Collection Services have been informed of our decision.

I also apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

A special thanks for the consumer action group as without this forum I would have little hope of putting the case properly.

Although time, work, and personal frustation have cost me much more that what the penalty price was, I am happy that DVLA and Philips were able to examine the facts and act in good practice.

I wonder if I can reclaim the expense I incurred in resloving this matter?

Thanks again

Pleased to hear your news, well done.

If you have a few minutes here and there i would certainley make the relevent organisations aware of the problems you have experienced.