• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Marlin/phoenix - Credit Card - N1 Received ** DISCONTINUED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

had a thought about it and think this is probably more like it

UK Parliament SIs 1980-1989/1983/1551-1600/Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices)

Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)

1983 No 1561

Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations

Made - - - 24th October 1983

Authority: Consumer Credit Act 1974, ss 76(3), (5), 87(4), 88(1), (4), 98(3), (5), 182(2), 189(1)

UK Parliament SIs 1980-1989/1983/1551-1600/Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices)

Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)/1Creditor or owner to omit words in square brackets if there is no specification under paragraph 6(e) of any action intended to be taken to enforce any security.

SCHEDULE 2

FORM OF DEFAULT NOTICE BEFORE A CREDITOR OR OWNER CAN BECOME ENTITLED, BY REASON OF ANY BREACH BY THE DEBTOR OR HIRER OF A REGULATED AGREEEMENT, TO TERMINATE THE AGREEMENT, DEMAND EARLIER PAYMENT OF ANY SUM, RECOVER POSSESSION OF ANY GOODS OR LAND, TREAT ANY RIGHT CONFERRED ON THE DEBTOR OR HIRER BY THE AGREEMENT AS TERMINATED, RESTRICTED OR DEFERRED OR ENFORCE ANY SECURITY

Regulation 2(2)

Details of agreement

A description of the agreement sufficient to identify it.

Parties to agreement

(1) The name and a postal address of the creditor or owner.

(2) The name and postal address of the debtor or hirer.

Details of breach of agreement and action required to remedy, or pay compensation for, the breach

A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than

fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid.

Action by the creditor or owner to be ineffective if breach remedied or compensation paid

Where any action is specified under paragraph 3© or (d) as required to be taken, a statement that the provision for the taking of any action by the creditor or owner such as is mentioned in paragraph 6 will be ineffective if the breach is duly remedied or the compensation is duly paid in the following form—

"IF THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE IS TAKEN BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN NO FURTHER ENFORCEMENT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN RESPECT OF THE BREACH".

Note:

This statement shall follow the specification under paragraph 3© or (d) of any action required to be taken.

Consequences of failure to comply with default notice

Where any action is specified under paragraph 3© or (d) as required to be taken, a statement indicating the consequences of the failure by the debtor or hirer to comply with the default notice in the following form—

"IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU [OR A SURETY]".

Notes:

1. This statement shall be followed by the specification under paragraph 6 of the further action intended to be taken by the creditor or owner.

Action intended to be taken by creditor or owner

A clear and unambiguous statement by the creditor or owner indicating, if any action specified under paragraph 3© or (d) as required to be taken is not duly taken or if no such action is required to be taken, the action which he intends to take by reason of the breach by the debtor or hirer of the agreement—

(a) to terminate the agreement;

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum;

© to recover possession of any goods or land;

(d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred;

(e) to enforce any security;

(f) to enforce any provision of the agreement which becomes operative only on a breach of another provision of the agreement as specified in the notice,

at any time on or after the date specified under paragraph 3© or (d), or, if no action is specified under that paragraph as required to be taken, indicating the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, on or after which he intends to take any action indicated in this paragraph.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Default Notices

Section 87(1) of the 1974 Act allows the creditor to send you a default notice giving you fourteen days from the date you receive it to pay the arrears. The default notice must contain all of the necessary information under the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 ('the 1983 Regulations'), which includes

a statement saying the notice is a default notice served under section 87(1) of the 1974 Act

a description of the agreement

the name and address of both the debtor and the creditor

details of the breach (i.e. late payment) and, if the breach can be remedied, the date by which it must be remedied or, if the breach is not capable of remedy, the amount required to be paid after the expiry of the specified date;

a statement saying: if the action required by this notice is taken before the date shown no further enforcement action will be taken in respect of that breach

a statement saying: if you do not take the action required by this notice before the date shown then the further action set out below may be taken against you

a clear and unambiguous statement saying that if the action is not taken by the date specified, what it will do (for example, if will it terminate the agreement and recovery possession of the motor vehicle)

Consumer Credit: Default Notices

CG, yes that is correct.

Here is the link. Schedule 2 is toward the bottom

6. Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983.pdf (63.5 KB, 236 views)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Still no witness statement from Marlins. I was wondering what my next step should be.

I was thinking about writing a letter to the Court pointing out it hasnt been received or should I wait until I have to do my pre trial checklist

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you and a Happy New Year to all who have helped me so far

Hi CG, I would check with the court whether they have received anything first - if they haven't, then wait and see if anything turns up tomorrow. If you still don't receive anything then you could write in to the court advising them that in accordance with their order of xxxxxx your own WS was sent to the claimant on xxxxxx however, you have not received any response from them. I would then state that you request the further direction of the court in order to allow this matter to proceed.

The judge will then probably give the claimant a date on which to comply by or their claim will be struck out. If you specifically request that the claim be struck out, the judge will still give them more time, and you would need to submit an N244 and pay the fee.

I found in my own case with Link, by wording it as I have above that although I didn't specifically ask for a strike out, the judge had no option other than to order them to comply or that would be the consequence and Link's claim was struck out eventually (and it didn't cost me anything:))

Hope this helps, happy New Year.

Magda

Thanks Magda, the judge did order an unless order when they kept kicking their heels over filing their AQ, it did make them do it otherwise it would have been struck out. I will ring the court in the morning and see if anything has been received after our post has arrived and if not, pop a letter through the courts door over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Right I sent the letter stating they hadnt complied with the order, just rang the court and they have a backlog and postal collections/deliveries havent been happening here.

But apparently Marlin have agreed to a stay cos I have been paying. Their last payment was October!!!! I didnt request a stay, just sent my WS to them.

All very confusing. I dont want this case stayed, I want it to carry on, and get sorted. The Court lady seemed as confused as me, and said to complete my pre trial check list and send in with directions. No letter as of yet re any orders etc.

Help please

Draft Order for Directions

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order file and serve the following:

1) Default Notice compliant with s87 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as amended.

2) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon including proof of the amount of the debt and how it was accrued.

3) The Deed of Assignment in order to establish the authenticity of any alleged assignment of this debt.

4) A witness statement that the Claimant intends to rely on in Court

5) If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, or any specific direction/disclosure, the claim will be struck out pursuant to CPR 3.4.2 ©

The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve the following:

6) An amended defence sufficiently particularised in response to the documents supplied by the claimant.

I dont want to mess this up at this stage, thoughts please on the directions. Also I dont want this stay either and didnt request one.

Hi CG, I would write into the court anyway, as you still haven't received any WS from Marlin - is that correct (after all, you managed to get yours off to them) - if the court has a backlog that isn't your problem. That way, the judge may order the claimant's claim to be struck out.

The draft directions look fine by the way.

Magda

I see you have mentioned the WS on your draft directions anyway, didn't notice that - but don't think you have anything to lose by writing to the court anyway. I would definitely give it a shot.

Magda

I did write last week, but the Court said they havent received it yet or its not been dealt with. I know some of our post boxes locally havent been collected, but funny that Marlins gets through or perhaps they faxed. This stay has just come out of the blue, I told Marlins on the telephone that I wasnt going to sign their Consent Order as they rang me when they received my Witness Statement. I think the last payment to Marlin was October

They did receive the letter from Marlins on Friday re a stay....I dont want this, I want it sorted. The court told me to continue with the pre trial check list. Just wish I wasnt so confused

I see you have mentioned the WS on your draft directions anyway, didn't notice that - but don't think you have anything to lose by writing to the court anyway. I would definitely give it a shot.

Magda

I sent a letter to the court last week based on PT's stickied non-compliance of orders letter requesting the claim was struck out or for the file to be put before the DJ.

I will wait a couple of days, give the court time to catch up on post, and to see if anything comes through the post and then ring them. I got all confused, cos I wasnt expecting a stay. Will write down what I want to say, re this.

If there is any advice on adding anything to the Directions, please let me know, I need to get this sorted by the end of the week ready for the pre-trial thing

Well the best thing you can do then, if the court says they haven't received your letter yet, is to ring and ask if you can email a copy (or fax if you have access to a fax machine) and ask that it be placed urgently before the judge as you require clarification on this. Mark it for the attention of whoever you are speaking to. If Marlins haven't done their WS, it seems to me they don't intend to go ahead with this.

Magda

Well the best thing you can do then, if the court says they haven't received your letter yet, is to ring and ask if you can email a copy (or fax if you have access to a fax machine) and ask that it be placed urgently before the judge as you require clarification on this. Mark it for the attention of whoever you are speaking to. If Marlins haven't done their WS, it seems to me they don't intend to go ahead with this.

Magda

This would be my advice as well. Do continue with your pre trial check list and instructions as though this stay hadnt been mentioned.

I fail to see why they have asked for one at this late stage, unless they havent got their act together ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CG,

I also wrote to the judge and asked for a strike out because of non compliance of order from the court producing WS etc....

it was just put on the file and i was basically told by the court that an application with the fee is the only garauntee to get

it in front of the judge.

it sounds like they are buying some time and as the shadow said to me,its up to the likes of us to drive the strike out through

and at the very least the judge would order an unless order.

regards

hunterandthehunted

My judge is pretty good and did issue an unless order when I last sent a letter. My case manager has said each time, try a letter rather than a N244.

I rang yesterday and its before the Judge. I think thats on the basis if the letter I sent when we had the snow, but at the weekend, I put copies of everything that had been posted, along with a letter stating I hadnt requested a stay, so how could Marlin have consented to one and also put my pre trial questionaire in. So waiting for a response after the Judge had read it all