Bad references

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I been lucky enough to secure a new job, something i really want to do, sailed through the 2 interviews and got the job offer. My only problem now is references. My current employer might give me a bad reference because just before i resigned i was off for 4 weeks with stress, im scared they will disclose this in my reference, it will be a verbal telephone reference.

Can they disclose the reason for my sickness? If my new employer decides to terminate my contract because of a bad reference do I have any legal standings on my old employer if they disclose absence reasons?

Is it likely that a certified absence will lose me this new job?

Thoughts please.

They can't give bad references legally but they can tell the truth as to why you left them. I do not believe they are under any legal obligation to provide records of attendance or sickness to another firm (Data Protection Act?) but you might be asked to provide that.

If this is work-related stress would a company be willing to admit they lose employees to this? I think not, they will want to make themselves look good and as having no problems in this recession for fear of losing contracts.

One option (possibly the best) is to be honest with your new employers about why you left the last job and why this new job is better for you. Telling lies will give them cause to let you go as you will be under probation for the first few weeks there.