• Tweets

• Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
    • no we cant add the occy thing because leicster are being difficult people so we're just going to go without it for now
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Employer gone insolvent !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm after some advice regarding my wifes ex employer. My wife worked in a small shop where 7 people were employed mainly on part time hours.

She worked 27 hours a week and was employed there for 12 months.

She found a new job and handed in her resignation. She worked a weeks notice.

On the evening of her last day the boss called them all in to work and told them she was closing the shop and she had gone into receivership.

Wages were paid monthly and she is owed just short of £700.

She has sent off a RP1 form and is still waiting to hear from The Insolvency Service.

The question we have is what are the chances of getting any of her owed wages?

The thing that really p's me off is the boss and her family just got back from a fortnights holiday in Barbados but can't afford to pay her staff wages.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

As long as the employment contract was legal, a very good chance.

I have never heard of the National Insurance Fund not paying out, and wages are covered (subject to a maximum sum):

Your rights if your employer is insolvent : Directgov - Employment

Che

• Haha 1

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

i had this when kwik save went down the toilet. they owed me 3 years redunancy , no notice pay, and two months wages. altogether i got 600 odd which was no were near the amount i was owed and it took four months of phone calls, letters and e mails. sorry your wife is in the same situation.

Just a little pointer for your wife tom a,

It will be very beneficial to her if she were able to find out from her ex employer who the insolvency practitioner is and then contact them to ensure that everything is running smoothly.

In my experience it is not The Insolvency Service that is the problem it would be that the employer/insolvency practitioner not giving the right info.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Thanks for that Beau.

She took the RP1 form direct to the Insolvency Practioners office.

They said they would forward it to The Insolvency Service.

Will get her to give them a call tomorrow.

In my experience it is not The Insolvency Service that is the problem it would be that the employer/insolvency practitioner not giving the right info.

No doubt you will initially have to see if there are sufficient funds to meet liabilities such as unpaid wages initially with the IP, I was merely pointing out that the whole procedure, is in theory 'underwritten' by the NIF, in situations where, "... all the debts can(not) be met in full ... there are special arrangements to ensure that you receive a basic minimum of the debts owed from the National Insurance Fund."; and this would, subject to a maximum cap, include unpaid wages.

Thus whether you receive unpaid wages from assets realized during the insolvency, or from the NIF, you should receive them.

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

• 3 months later...

Just an update.

After lots of phone calls my wife finally got paid out yesterday.

Her monthly earnings owed was £586 but she only got paid £494 after tax and N.I. deductions.

Will ring them on Tuesday to find out why she was nearly £100 short.

Any ideas ?

Hi Tom

Che will probably know more than most on this subject but I'd be inclined to think it would have been source deductions.

Possibly notional tax rate was applied with 0 allowance, was your better half given a full break down of deductions?

Gez

Just dealing with this issue yesterday at work, and looking at a payout that a client received from the Insolvency Service, this is what their form says on the back:

Why have you taken tax and national insurance off my holiday pay and wages owed?

lf your former employer had made these payments they would have been subject to tax and

national insurance By law,we have to treat them the same way.We are not a tax office or an

employer and we always deduct basic rate tax and national insurance contributions even if your

earnings and circumstances mean that you do not pay income tax or national insurance.

Maybe this explains it - my work does not extend to tax issues, so I don;t know the answer, and you should take it up with the RPO dealing with your payout, if you feel it is wrong.

Che

Had a look on some of my old notes but can't find the rel section regarding notional tax rate (there is one, even if my old eyes can't see it) :-D

Would definitely ask the RPO for further info but I calculate the following:

Assuming basic annual allowance of £6475.00

27 x 4 x £5.73 (nat min wage) = £618.84 monthly

Tax due: £15.83

N.I: £15.68

Net: £587.33

Assuming £00.00 allowance:

Tax due: £123.76

N.I: £15.68

Net: £479.40

This is a guesstimate on allowance but hopefully you'll see from this where the additional has possibly gone.

RPO's are under a lot of pressure at the moment, stay calm and polite on the phone and I'm sure you'll get the answers you need in the end.

Gez

Thanks for the replies.

Basic wages owed according to RPO was £494. Sorry my mistake on post 8.

After deductions she received £390.

According to our calculations she should have had 111 hours X £5.73 ph = £636.03 less £50 sub received = £586.03.

Will let you know the outcome after speaking to them on Tuesday.

Sorry to throw a spanner in here but it could be a good spanner!!

Have you considered the Holiday pay that had been accrued but not paid?

This perhaps should have been considered in the original calculations, but if your wife is entitled to it why not ask?

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Been in touch with RPO today and there's some confusion over hours worked.

My wife worked 111 hours in the month but as only been paid for 95 hours.This is where the discrepancy comes from.

We are trying to get the local insolvency service to sort it out but we've been struggling a bit today. Will try again tomorrow.