• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

stopping tv licence fees

masmit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

hi just came on this site to tell people that i had a tv licence which i used to pay all off. Then came the recession and I had to cut back like everyone else. I asked TV licensing can i pay my license in monthly instalments not by direct debit but by your cash payment plan. basically a card like a credit card which is registered to your address and you can pay off a set amount of money every month. I took this option. Where the first month i would pay something like £24 which would cover me for 2 months the 2nd month another 24 so I would be covered for 4 months until 6 months later I have paid off the whole years license. Sorted bobs not my uncle. Then I thought they will send me license request next year but lo and behold tv licensing send me a letter 6 months in advance and ask me to start paying for next years license SIX months in advance. Now under normal circumstances (no recession) i probably wouldn't have given it a second thought but these are tough times everyone is watching there pennies let alone their pounds.

So I harassed TV licensing and said to them that gas electricity & water do not ask for payment six months in advance so why should I pay you. TAKE ME TO COURT. I knew the courts will have throwed it back in their face as no organisation does this. I have succesfully kept my tv license payment card and pay the way I want to pay not letting them dictate how they want payment. i.e. one month pay for two 2nd pay upto 4 and so on until the 6th month I have paid for the whole years license which is the payment I heve adhered to and so should tv licensing rather than ask everyone payment 6 months in advance and make you feel like a criminal.

I strongly urge everyone out there to do exactly the same as what I have done and stop this daylight robbery. 30 million households businesses pay for their tv licenses. someone some where is making some serious money by taking money so much in advance. You can only win by giving this organisation a piece of there own medicine.

I strongly urge everyone out there to do exactly the same as what I have done and stop this daylight robbery. 30 million households businesses pay for their tv licenses. someone some where is making some serious money by taking money so much in advance. You can only win by giving this organisation a piece of there own medicine. [/indent]

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to learn of your experiences. I'm not sure you advice, however, is of sound judgment. I really hope you don't end up with a fine.

tvl have no idea what is in a property ie a tv tuned to channels and receivable in any form, this is why they rely on entry to property to obtain evidence,the whole process relies on your help and co operation and signature for a sealed court case.

they are not even sure who lives at the property this is why after a period of time the letters arrive the legal occupier/present occupier they cannot send legal documents in that stance,it would be impossible to convict anyone on that.

sorry i don't want to get dragged back into this but its the way they conduct and portray themselves regardless to any house that exists without a shred of evidence.it appears the above has paid his first year so they wont chase until the next license,however he may have problems rejoining the scheme as his last membership was not to their "liking"

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated firstly I would like to point out I am still legally licensed to receive television broadcasts. No enforcement officer has or ever will turn up at my home because they have no need to as my license is up to date. The way I want it to be.

I paid my tv license for 2009 as follows October 2009 £20.40. November 2009 £20.35. December 2009 £20.35. January 2010 £20.35. February 2010 £20.35. March 2010 £20.35 and finally April 2010 £20.35. Totalling (142.50) This final payment covered me til October 2010. However like everyone else they sent me a schedule to pay in the following way 6 months in advance.

May 2010 £12.18. June 2010 £12.12. July 2010 £12.12. August 2010 £12.12. September £12.12. October 2010 £12.12. November £12.12. December £12.12. January £12.12. February £12.12. March £12.12. April £12.12.

Everyone else pays this off when they get a letter from tv licensing which isn't threatening in any way or form, but when I realised that I had still six months left on my license I simply refused to pay and can also succesfully tell you that I have received a new schedule to pay my TV license in the following way.

License for 2010/2011 payments are as follows. 28 November £24.25. 28 December £24.25. 28 January £24.25. 28 February £24.25. 28 March £24.25. 28 April £24.25. Totalling £145.50. I have written proof of this. If there was anyway I could put this on I would show it but unfortunately cannot.

I would also like to point out My license expired in October 2010. I started making my first payment on 28 November 2010 so technically was unlicensed but since tv licensing asked for their first payment on November 28. I paid them on November 28th.

Any more questions? I am more than happy to oblige. Thanks.

You are not paying for repeats! Even if there was only the testcard showing, you are paying for the privilege of installing a receiver capable of displaying licenced broadcasts, it has nothing to do with programming.

Of the repeats are causing so much annoyance, get rid of the receiver an no licence will be required!

paying for the privilege of installing a receiver capable of displaying licenced broadcasts

a licence is not required because a "receiver" a television set is owned,a licence is required if the tripe is watched live,the above quote is how the bbc/tvl/capita plc see how the law as the think it should be.this is why its very important not to let them in,why should you they recruit in the job centre and are no more empowered then a utility company salesman to demand entry.

a neighbour who did not have a license described them (tvl/capita) as being intimidating and rude this backs up the video of the assault on a member of the public on his own premises who was filming,the hammer bang on the door to a tune and are completely acting above and beyond the law.

just ignore these idiots,its there time and money there wasting,it all to do with threats/lies/deceit/intimidation,this may work with single females,this is probably why these account as the highest group prosecuted.

its all to make pay up,no power of entry keep the door closed,keep quite and let them hammer and tantrum on the pavement,i am now into my third year not paying the bbc and its thugs',thats the best viewing of all..

MOD EDIT: Link removed

It does.

It is a TV Broadcast Recieving Licence, if you have a receiver and no licence, then you are nicely lined up for a criminal conviction. Don't fool yourself into believing you have to be watching live broadcasts to be liable, you do not, although they (Crapita) might decide not to pursue you, there's little point leaving yourself at risk.

The simple fact is, if you have the equipment, this is the same as 'going equipped' and prosecutes ARE successful. It may seem a defeat to let them in to prove you don't have a TV, but at least this will give you a few years of peace until they start again. There's no point in taking thevstance out outline, they get paid to harass you and they'll keep at it until there is a resolution one way or another.

Let's get real, there are people out there who watch TV without a licence. why should they get it for free when I have to pay for it? If they weren't actively pursuing non licence holders, I doubt many of us would be minded to pay.

Incidentally, it is the Tuner, whether part of a TV, Video, DVR or STB that the household becomes liable. I have seen some cases where people admit to having a receiver, but in mitigation state that they don't use it. This will whorl sometimes, but it is up to the judge to decide whether he believes you, which remains a risk. With no tuner, you don't have the tools to commit the crime, and they're wasting their time.

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to learn of your experiences. I'm not sure you advice, however, is of sound judgment. I really hope you don't end up with a fine.

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated firstly I would like to point out I am still legally licensed to receive television broadcasts. No enforcement officer has or ever will turn up at my home because they have no need to as my license is up to date. The way I want it to be.

I paid my tv license for 2009 as follows October 2009 £20.40. November 2009 £20.35. December 2009 £20.35. January 2010 £20.35. February 2010 £20.35. March 2010 £20.35 and finally April 2010 £20.35. Totalling (142.50) This final payment covered me til October 2010. However like everyone else they sent me a schedule to pay in the following way 6 months in advance.

May 2010 £12.18. June 2010 £12.12. July 2010 £12.12. August 2010 £12.12. September £12.12. October 2010 £12.12. November £12.12. December £12.12. January £12.12. February £12.12. March £12.12. April £12.12.

Everyone else pays this off when they get a letter from tv licensing which isn't threatening in any way or form, but when I realised that I had still six months left on my license I simply refused to pay and can also succesfully tell you that I have received a new schedule to pay my TV license in the following way.

License for 2010/2011 payments are as follows. 28 November £24.25. 28 December £24.25. 28 January £24.25. 28 February £24.25. 28 March £24.25. 28 April £24.25. Totalling £145.50. I have written proof of this. If there was anyway I could put this on I would show it but unfortunately cannot.

I would also like to point out My license expired in October 2010. I started making my first payment on 28 November 2010 so technically was unlicensed but since tv licensing asked for their first payment on November 28. I paid them on November 28th.

he wont end up with a fine if he ignores them,signs nothing and does not self incriminate and keeps the door closed.

• 2 weeks later...

the bbc and their contracted firm capita know no bounds in the continued practice of lies/deceit/deception that they continue to throw at the general public day to day.they appear to think everyone's as stupid as they are.

i have received a visit from an "enforcement division officer" masquerading as an employee of another company,this person has been down here before receiving no reply,promptly sitting in a car outside giving the outside a look over and filling paperwork,this time attempting to deceive with a "survey" beginning with what nationality are you.

even the krays' would not have attempted such deception and would command more respect then the two faced bbc,they did not front consumer affairs/highlight cases who practice exactly what they are doing daily.unfortunately for the "enforcement division" as the voice was raising outside, the door was closing from the inside on this ragbag organisation who operate above and beyond themselves.

it is a shame that such behavior is tolerated in today's world,where bullying/lies are prevalent and appear to be the norm.once this is counteracted then society as a whole will benefit from the meaning of values and that can only be a good thing.

True, but then, if everybody played it fair - there probably would be no need for this subterfuge. You have to ask, which came first? Deception by the non-licence holder. or the licence enforcement people? Fighting fire with fire would appear to be the only way to get results.

Surely, those who do not have a licence (and need one) require somew form of prompting? It's not rocket science.... surely?

• Haha 1

it appears that capita are recruiting for the purpose of the 2011 census,this has the prospect of also updating their other activities such as the tv license database.this organisation is not to be trusted in the slightest with anyone's details'.

it hearts paying for tv licensing

it does when your paying villains protection money not to harass as the majority do.

• 4 weeks later...

since the attempted deception at the doorstep they have not been back since,no doubt they will reappear at some point but what all this highlights its all a complete bluff.

without your admittance they are impotent to act.

• 2 weeks later...

Say if you only watched tv on demand....Not live tv OR just used your tv for DVD's then you could argue technically that you would not need to pay a licence. I am also of the opinion that you can ring them for example and say that this has been the case for upto two years and they should have to re-fund any payments you have made in this period.

They will send people around to check PERIODICALLY but if you write to them and tell them that they are harrasing you by doing this then they should leave you alone. Never let anyone in your property and never sign anything on the doorstep even if they say it is something else and as long as you do not have a ariel plugged in to your television recieving a live signal then there is nothing they can do.

For the record I pay my TV licence every year and love reality tv....sad i KNOW.

• 1 month later...

ignore these these charlatan's they lie at the front door pretending surveys', rely on hype in the press to induce fear into those that don't want to pay and rely on self incrimination using the above tactics to secure magistrate court proceedings,i have not paid for three years.its beyond belief what the bbc and this paid thug company they employ under a tv licensing heading and the methods used to secure payment when its not even owed when a person walks away from paying.i would never have anything to do with the bbc again.

** MOD EDIT - LINK REMOVED **

the attitude to those that want to stop paying and walk away.needless to say it would not be shown on watchdog as the bbc refuses to criticise the company it employs and the methods used.

just ignore these bullies.