• Tweets

• They couldn't afford to cut the NI level - having to borrow to do it - which breaks common sense rules let alone fiscal rules Unc   .. and thats just based on what we know of their fiscal incompetence, let alone any hidden costs
    • Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DWP debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

My partner has been getting a stream of calls from IQOR regarding a DWP crisis loan that was paid out in 2001. One amusing one with shouty lady demanding £18.12 or we'd be taken to court. Now from what I can gather some people seem to suggest that such a loan is statue barred, but it could be taken out of later benefits?

We checked with the DWP who said 'we don't know what you're talking about' :confused: My other 1/2 has no recollection of such a loan, and to top matters off we recently SARed the DWP and we're sure there was nothing on that paperwork about a crisis loan.

When we did finally figure out who was calling the amount fluctuated, and the person on the other end of the phone seemed interested in our details, to which the response was could be summarised in the terms of 'Buy-One-Get-One-Free'

So, i'm considering writing IQOR a letter telling them to produce some evidence or suggesting they follow the advice in Arkell v. Pressdram (any Private Eye readers in the house?).

Would you guys be able to suggest a template? I've seen a few, but i'm not sure what's most apt in this situation.

I'm starting to wonder if the government is running out of money or something........:?:

Thanks,

Wavey

I'd say that IQOR areon a fishing trip;)

I'd just write to them saying you don't acknowledge any debt to them and asking for proof, say you've never heard of them and you've never had a crisis loan, also say you will pay if they can prove the debts yours, don't give away any details and don't use your usual sig, tell them everything in writing, not to phone you. I sent a letter to 2 DCA's, and I've not heard a thing back, heres some bits that should help you,,,,

" Could you please provide me at the earliest date possible, and to ensure any payment which may be owed is not unduely delayed, proof of any debt. Do not proceed with any Enforcement action until you have furnished these proofs as I strongly DISPUTE this Debt"

"

I would also like to see any Proof you have, to establish your rights to claim this money or to start legal proceeding against me, I have at no time had any contact or dealings with your Company, so you must understand that as I have no knowledge of this debt or your company, then I would be foolish indeed to pay any monies to you until I have established that there is a Debt and You have the right to Claim that Debt. Especially considering the recent Publicity regarding this exact sort of thing being a CON, as highlighted on the BBC's Watchdog programme recently. "

"The onus is on you to be CERTAIN that firstly there is a debt, you are threatening to correct person, all pre action protocol has been followed before contacting anyone with regard to the debt.

Therefore please take note,

If this debt is found to be in error or to be unenforcable in anyway, for whatever reason, then there will be a fee for each letter/e-mail/phonecall answered/recieved, the fee will be a standard £9.00 per letter/e-mail sent by me, and £5.00 per phonecall made/recieved, also I will claim for postage/printing/paper/ink cost and the cost of any phone calls. I will also charge you for my time spent in research at the rate of £10.00 per hour. If you decide to send someone to my door, whether I answer the door or not, then there will be a fee of £100.00 per visit. So please ensure that you are chasing the correct person and that there is an actual debt in the first place before contacting me again. If you reply, using any method, saying that you require payment, or that I contact you in any manner then that will be proof of your acceptance of these fees/charges. If you want to avoid these fees/charges then simply do not contact me unless you are CERTAIN that, 1, the debt exists, 2, I am the correct person, 3, the debt is enforceable, 4, you have ALL the above requested proofs and they are sent to me at the same time.

I found your letter very upsetting and threatening and have had very little sleep since I recieved it. I have spent over 10 hours on the internet researching the relevent laws and regulations regarding my rights and also your rights, it seems that you have broken quite a few laws, rules and regulations regarding your approach to first contact/threatening behaviour, including the very latest regulations which recently came into force."

I hope this helps:)

Send them the prove it letter:

Dear Sir/Madman

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

Please note that if you continue to telephone me at my place of employment I will rport you to the OFT as this is a clear breach of the OFT Guidelines on debt collection. As your company are also members of the CSA you are required to abide by their Code of Practice and failing to do so could render you liable to prosecution under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Yours etc

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifclose.gif Debt collection library Follow this link to our debt collection

The onus is on them to prove you owe the money, not the other way round. Let them do all the legwork. IF it turns out that this money is fact owed, there is the possibility of it being statute barred. This is on the presumption that no payments and no acknowledgement of the debt has been made in at least 6 years. Send the above letter and post back here when you receive a reply.

Just to clarify;

Benefit Overpayments & Social Fund Loans

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.

Debt Factsheets - Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act

Hi All,

Many thanks for your messages. A quick update, i've been away so no chance to sort this out.

We had a number of phone calls from the people again, and here's where it gets odd/interesting: my partner challenged the company by telling them the DWP has no record of the debt, they then said the debt was for something entirely different not for the DWP and also not for £100 ish pounds, it was £400 (!). They refused to give any more information until we'd confirmed our new address (citing data protection). They said they needed a name, date of birth, and new address. Apparently they've been sending letters to the old address, so i'll have to go and take a look.

Oddly they refuse to give any information about them as a company - just 'a finance company from Preston'.

We ran an a freebie Experian credit report and there was nothing showing at all on the report, no disputes, not a sausage.

On Monday, i'll be sending the letter you've suggested. However, what I am worried about is giving them opportunity to start harassing us at our current address. I would have thought that they'd do a quick search for my partners name and details on the electoral roll or something or that ilk?

Any suggestions? Or should I just put the new address on the letter?

Thanks,

Wd

Any suggestions?

Yes STOP talking to these people on the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCA's lie, cheat, lie some more, scare and bully to make you pay. Until the law changes they will continue to do so.

It is up to them to prove you owe the money NOT the other way around. Send the prove it letter and telelphone hassle letter.

Then only communicate in writing in future.

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!