• Tweets

• We purchased our Mercedes in September 2023 from Doves in Horsham for £21000, paying half cash and half on finance. We also purchased warranty for life via Ramp as recommended by Doves. On 12th May 2024 the car failed to recognise the key and wouldn’t not open, the AA could not identify the problem so via our warranty the car was taken to Mercedes in Croydon. After 3 weeks the problem was finally identified as water ingress in the drivers side footwell which has corroded and blown various components. After further investigation it was discovered the windscreen was date stamped 2019 (all the windows are 2018 - therefore not the factory fitted windscreen) The leak has developed due to incorrect sealant being used assuming when this was replaced and also water leaking from the seam. The warranty company do not cover water ingress so we are now faced with a bill of £3635. As we are now at 8 months since purchase (problem started at just over 7 months) we are not covered by the consumer rights acts. Would we be covered Sale of Goods Act? We have all the reports for the works being completed but unsure if this should be taken to the finance company or Doves who we purchased the car from. Do we pay for the works and then try and claim it back or should they be paying? Any help would be much appreciated
    • im also wondering if back billing applies here too . from looking at like threads around this SSE to ovo compulsory switch, it must be evidenced by the claimant that bills were regularly issued for the period of the supply the debt they claim covers. there are no threads here that show they could ever produce them, so back billing rules (12mts) might also play a part.
    • Vodafone have reported that they are having issues with their Credit File APIs into the Credit Reference Agencies where aged accounts over 6 years are being readded to Credit Files. In some instances, people are having defaults rescinded and changed to late payment status making the account live again!    --- Have you been affected? Please keep an eye out on your credit file for any  new Vodafone Account appearing where there shouldnt be any reason. If you are a Vodafone Customer - Check that the information is correct. check for Late Payments and Defaults.    Don't forget to consider the financial impacts this could have on you.  ---   If you are struggling - Post below and we can guide you to get the result you need!    Its been reported that Experian and TransUnion seem to be where these appear.  They are able to remove the information relatively quickly and it will reflect on next Credit File Refresh.         
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot Chasing old CCJ Barclaycard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a Barclaycard CCJ on my old address (2006), which back in the day I would ignore all DCA letters etc, and this is the result.

Having been contacted by Cabot for this debt, I wrote to them to say that I knew of no debt and to basically prove it - I then received a letter from their Solicitors and sent the same thing back to them - not realising at the time that this was a CCJ on my old house.

Anyway, I have now received a letter from Cabot to confirm that this is a CCJ placed on me back in 2006 and to date no payments have been received.

Could someone please help me with the following:

1. The debt that they say is massive compared to what I "think" I owe, so how would I go about finding this out - do I contact Barclaycard or Cabot?

2. Also do I need to find out if I have a CCJ on this?

3. I realise I may need to get the CCJ set aside, however, I don't really have any grounds to do this as I just didnt act on the debt when I was being chased, apart from the fact that debt I think is some few thousand more than I think it actually is.

Can someone please respond ASAP so that I can deal with this first thing on Monday, thanks

If you didn't defend the CCJ then my guess would be that it was dealt with at Northampton County Court. I haven't got a telephone number for them - but this is the link to a list of email addresses HERE

They should be able to tell you/send information out to you about the CCJ.

Cabot CANNOT increase the amount on the judgment, nor can they increase the payments that the judge ordered.

It was done at Rugby.

Having checked the CCJ details my DOB is wrong on there!

I have the account number to which this debt relates to so shall I contact Barclaycard and get the CCA and the SAR request going ?

As there is already a CCJ, it is pointless CCA'ing or S.A.Ring anyone. You need to try and get it set aside, then you can start checking for enforceability.

Edited by clemma
wrong info given

You can get a CCJ set aside for any of the following reasons:

To have your judgement set aside you will need to put forward a reason why. You must keep your reason as clear and simple as possible. Listed are quite a few valid reasons below

Were you given 28 days notice in order to pay?

Were you living at the address when the summons and judgement took place?

If you took out a loan or any form of credit were you in receipt of the Default Notice before receiving the summons.

Did you receive the summons? They are not sent by recorded mail.

Maybe you were unable to attend court and defend yourself.

The judgement should not appear on the credit files if it was paid up within 28 days.

If you agreed to settle 'out of court' with the plaintiff you should not have received a Judgement.

If you did not receive any notification of the judgement/s made against you, then you can appeal.

Did you agree with the full amount of the judgement at the time, but now only agree with part of the amount?

Was the summons taken out against both yourself and another person jointly. If this is so, did you both receive your summons?

It could have been that you were away from the time between the issue of the summons and entry of the judgement?

Did you receive the summons on time for you to apply to the court. You have 21 days to reply to the court. If the summons was 21 days late then the judgement would have already been taken out against you?

Did somebody use your name or address to obtain credit, which resulted in a County Court judgement without you knowing?

You can use any of the above reasons to have your judgements set aside.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the relevant court in question but they wanted my current address to enable me to receive the paperwork - yet the other courts I have been in touch with have happily given me the details over the phone!

At the same time Cabot confirmed this CCJ so at the moment I do not need the paperwork HOWEVER, the amount Cabot are claiming is around £4k OVER my credit limit that I had with them and the CCJ is again another £3k OVER what Cabot are chasing.

Surely there cannot be £3k worth of charges on this account?

Can I contact Barclaycard direct to get statements etc., or would I need to contact Cabot to get the relevant information so that I can find out where this huge amount has come from?

Thanks LL

or thinking about it, probably PO is better because if I get the CCJ set aside and there is no valid CCA then the debt would become unenforceable wouldnt it?

I also think the debt "might" be SB as well!

Edited by loobyloo35
added text

thanks = shall I CCA request them as well or just the SAR?

You should CCA Cabot. The golden rule is to S.A.R the original creditor and CCA whoever is chasing you for payment.

or thinking about it, probably PO is better because if I get the CCJ set aside and there is no valid CCA then the debt would become unenforceable wouldnt it?

I also think the debt "might" be SB as well!

;) Spot on

You should CCA Cabot. The golden rule is to S.A.R the original creditor and CCA whoever is chasing you for payment.

;) Spot on

That's great thanks.

I will get on the case over the Easter break and see what this brings - deep joy another debt to pay!

Someone said its not worth CCA'ing them if there is a CCJ - is that not the case?

Just realised you mentioned SB. A CCJ cannot become statute barred - although a creditor/DCA would have a difficult time trying to enforce if after a long period of time.

That's right unless the CCJ is defective in some way (served at an old address) and SB at the point that judgement was entered.

Just realised you mentioned SB. A CCJ cannot become statute barred - although a creditor/DCA would have a difficult time trying to enforce if after a long period of time.

RE: The CCA - you are trying to get this set aside, so this could help you after the set-aside has been granted.

I am not sure I would have the grounds to have this set aside as I lived at the property when this was happening, I just chose to "bury my head in the sand" re my debts.

Now I am dealing with them after finding this fab site!

Can I still SAR Barclaycard though even though its a CCJ as the amounts are clearly different to that of the actual registered CCJ and what Crapbot are chasing?

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by loobyloo35
error

I am not sure I would have the grounds to have this set aside as I lived at the property when this was happening, I just chose to "bury my head in the sand" re my debts.

Now I am dealing with them after finding this fab site!

Can I still SAR Barclaycard though even though its a CCJ as the amounts are clearly different to that of the actual registered CCJ and what Crapbot are chasing?

Thanks for your help :)

It's essential that you SARN them. The debt may be more than you expect because legal costs and interest will have been added to the judgement by the court. The results of the SARN should enable you to find out how much, if anything, Cabot have added to the debt.

Hi, I'm in a similar position, I found out yesterday that I have a CCJ registered at an old address. I moved out of the address in 2004, the CCJ was registered in January 2007, I found out about it is April 2009!

What do you feel my chances of getting it set aside, given the length of time between moving out and having the CCJ registered? Really want this set aside, I'm sure that it will be either SB or no CCA will be available.

The CCJ is for £19,000 and I can't think who it might be. I will be ringing the court (Northampton, btw), asfter Easter on Tuesday.

Any thoughts anybody?

Eyes opened and back in control of my life thanks to this site x

You should really start your own thread about this, but I will give a quick answer for you.

There are many reasons you can get a CCJ set aside, but like you, I do not know if the time passed will effect anything.

To have your judgement set aside you will need to put forward a reason why. You must keep your reason as clear and simple as possible. Listed are quite a few valid reasons below

If you took out a loan or any form of credit were you in receipt of the Default Notice before receiving the summons.

The judgement should not appear on the credit files if it was paid up within 28 days.

If you agreed to settle 'out of court' with the plaintiff you should not have received a Judgement.

If you did not receive any notification of the judgement/s made against you, then you can appeal.

Did you agree with the full amount of the judgement at the time, but now only agree with part of the amount?

Was the summons taken out against both yourself and another person jointly. If this is so, did you both receive your summons?

It could have been that you were away from the time between the issue of the summons and entry of the judgement?

Did you receive the summons on time for you to apply to the court. You have 21 days to reply to the court. If the summons was 21 days late then the judgement would have already been taken out against you?

Did somebody use your name or address to obtain credit, which resulted in a County Court judgement without you knowing?

Remember that no correspondence sent by the courts or the plaintiff is ever recorded. In the majority of cases County Court Judgements fail to comply with every detail.

This gives you the chance of having your judgement/s removed forever.

However, you have only just found about about this (have you just obtained you credit file?), so who knows. The court should be able to tell you, and if it is still possible, you will have to send in an N244 form (you can download one from the court website). I think it costs £75.

Edited by clemma

• 3 weeks later...

I have today received the paperwork from the Courts, even though Crapbot havent replied to my letter asking when last payment was made etc.

It turns out the CCJ was placed on my old property August 2006 - I did live there at this time, but as above, ignored debts!

Anyway, its a combination of 4 debts under one CCJ that has been purchased by Crapbot.

3 out of the 4 debts were bought in 2004 by Crapbot, one was purchased in 2002. However, if the last payment made is more than 6 years ago on any of the 4 accounts does that make them statute barred?

So I need to SAR ALL the creditors under this CCJ AND CCA request Crapbot?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have now received holding letters with confirmation that they have received my CCA request.

So far they have not replied to any of the CCA requests and provided me with the relevant docs.

The first one has now lapsed and I am waiting for the other 3 to do the same. Their letter was dated 26th June and mine was dated approx 5 days before this.

If they fail to supply me with the CCA(s) can I send each account a letter in dispute?

Also the fact that I think 2 of these debts were SB BEFORE the CCJ was placed.

So my grounds for getting the CCJ removed are the fact that 2 debts were SB PLUS no valid CCA is held for any of these accounts?

Thanks LL

I have now received holding letters with confirmation that they have received my CCA request.

So far they have not replied to any of the CCA requests and provided me with the relevant docs.

The first one has now lapsed and I am waiting for the other 3 to do the same. Their letter was dated 26th June and mine was dated approx 5 days before this.

If they fail to supply me with the CCA(s) can I send each account a letter in dispute?

Yes.

Also the fact that I think 2 of these debts were SB BEFORE the CCJ was placed.

So my grounds for getting the CCJ removed are the fact that 2 debts were SB PLUS no valid CCA is held for any of these accounts?

Thanks LL

You could maybe get set-aside - but there are only a few ways to do this.

Remember that no correspondence sent by the courts or the plaintiff is ever recorded. In the majority of cases County Court Judgements fail to comply with every detail.

This gives you the chance of having your judgement/s removed forever.

I have sent a letter of dispute dated 24th June 09 as they failed to supply me with a valid copy of the CCA.

I have since received two identical letters from Cabot dated 26th June 09 and 8th July 09 basically stating they are experiencing a delay with obtaining a copy of the relevant information from their archives! Yeah course they are! :p

They are obviously not chasing for payment as they don't have leg to stand on re the CCA or should I say lack of!

Now my next move is to get the CCJ removed from my credit file due to lack of this information PLUS they added this CCJ on my old property and I didnt live there.

Now before I do this, do I need a written letter from them stating they do NOT hold a copy of the CCA or is the fact that they have lapsed in the stipulated time enough to apply to have the CCJ removed?

Thanks LL